Wish Everyone Understood This

Decorating By momma28 Updated 8 Jun 2010 , 1:22am by patticake1951

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 9:42pm
post #31 of 40

What a great friend, and a great story! You have talents in baking and writing, Bethany! The cake was beautiful!

sberryp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sberryp Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 10:23pm
post #32 of 40

lol, ya'll are cracking me up. 5.99 is too much for a 2 pound bag of sugar. Where is this at? The 2 pound bags are a little under $2 where I live. I get a 7 pound bag for $4 at Costco

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 11:05pm
post #33 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by sberryp

lol, ya'll are cracking me up. 5.99 is too much for a 2 pound bag of sugar. Where is this at? The 2 pound bags are a little under $2 where I live. I get a 7 pound bag for $4 at Costco

What brand is that? At my local Sam's they only have the Bakers and Chefs brand, and to ME, personally, it's gross. Others may think it's fine, but I find it does not make a nice smooth buttercream like C&H does. But I think I said before, I get the 50lb bags... my sis just came up this weekend and brought me 2 bags, the price is up to $33 each plus tax. Still well under the $1+ a pound for the 2lb bags at the grocery store.

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 11:27pm
post #34 of 40

I actually have this statement below on my website on my pricing and wedding pages. I have actually had customers refer to it- "I never thought of it that way."
Got sick of people insulting me with stupid remarks like the ones ya'll are talking about!

Its just flour, sugar, and eggs
Although some of the cost for your cake does go to ingredients, the majority is dedicated to the time, talent and resources it takes to make your cake special. From licensing, insurance, taxes and utilities, to research, sketching and creative implementation, your price reflects not only the cost of eggs, flour and sugar, but also the cost of skillfully turning those ingredients into a work of edible art.

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 11:49pm
post #35 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by jentreu

I actually have this statement below on my website on my pricing and wedding pages. I have actually had customers refer to it- "I never thought of it that way."
Got sick of people insulting me with stupid remarks like the ones ya'll are talking about!

Its just flour, sugar, and eggs
Although some of the cost for your cake does go to ingredients, the majority is dedicated to the time, talent and resources it takes to make your cake special. From licensing, insurance, taxes and utilities, to research, sketching and creative implementation, your price reflects not only the cost of eggs, flour and sugar, but also the cost of skillfully turning those ingredients into a work of edible art.

i love that. youve worded it really well too, so no one will take offence. good work. thumbs_up.gif

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 12:01am
post #36 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by noahsmummy

i so agree with the bill board comment. just lately the "cake muggles" have been getting the better of me. im only a hobby baker, i make cakes for friends and such, only charging the cost of ingredients, and still, people give me this incredulous look! my favourite was when i made a chocolate rocky road mouse cake with a choc wrap around for my best friends mum (whos kind of my surrogate mum.. lol), free of charge, anyway, friends mum goes to me wow, these are brilliant! you should start a business! i reckon you could get $25 for this! and here i am thinking.. wow! that leave me running at a loss! lol.

oh but whats angered me today was last night. i bake cakes for my best friends as their birthday presents. and big fancy ones. anyway, was talking about the cost of cakes to one of them, who i made a boob cake for, a sheet cake + two pyrex bowls worth of cake plus decorations and a choc fudge filling, anyway, after me saying how expensive cakes are to make she goes to me "oh, is that why i ONLY got cake for my birthday?"

WHAT?!?!?!!?!? ONLY got cake!!!! thats bastard cost me around $60 and a bout 3 days of work! dont you "only got cake me". far out, next time i do a cake as a present, ill write in their card what i got them and next to it the retail value... seriously... $20 is usually my max for birthday presents... only got cake.... *mutters to herself...

sorry for the rant, but i agree with what you are saying. =)

Wow! You need better frinds!!!! All of my friends EXPECT me to bring cake, and ONLY cake. And they MIGHT get to have a say in the flavor, but I have total control over decorations!!!! And if my DD gets invited to a BDay party, mom KNOWS that the gift is the cake. And a home-made card!!!!

sberryp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sberryp Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 12:03am
post #37 of 40

The sugar that I get from Costco taste great! I can't think of the brand off the top of my head.

PiccoloChellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PiccoloChellie Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 12:50am
post #38 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyle

All of my friends EXPECT me to bring cake, and ONLY cake. And they MIGHT get to have a say in the flavor, but I have total control over decorations!!!! And if my DD gets invited to a BDay party, mom KNOWS that the gift is the cake. And a home-made card!!!!

Ditto here for my family. Birthdays, holidays like Mothers Day/Fathers Day, etc, everyone is like "Yeah, Chellie's bringing cake!!" That's my gift, they know it and love it. Even my young niece & nephew (9 and about to turn 12) ask me to make their birthday cakes as their gift. They just want "Aunt Cake's" cake (my niece calls me Aunt Cake icon_lol.gif ), no need for a present.

I lived out of state for several years and came back for a week to do my sister's wedding cakes two years ago. My family is big and all quite close-knit, so there were bunches of people stopping by to say hi and visit while I was working. They all saw the work that goes into even a "simple" cake and no one takes my cake gifts for granted. Even my Depression-era, cheap as heck Grandpa - who doesn't spend a dime he doesn't absolutely have to - stood watching me work on the wedding spread and said "So THAT'S why wedding cakes are so expensive."

I love my family. icon_smile.gif

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 1:07am
post #39 of 40

That was a yummy-looking cake.
I like a cake to look like FOOD, not that I don't love looking at the fondant steam-punk octopus, or the 6 foot tall sparkly gold orb, etc - but I want to eat the fudge-covered beauty sitting next to it!

patticake1951 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticake1951 Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 1:22am
post #40 of 40

[quote="PiccoloChellie"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyle

Ditto here for my family. Birthdays, holidays like Mothers Day/Fathers Day, etc, everyone is like "Yeah, Chellie's bringing cake!!" That's my gift, they know it and love it. Even my young niece & nephew (9 and about to turn 12) ask me to make their birthday cakes as their gift. They just want "Aunt Cake's" cake (my niece calls me Aunt Cake icon_lol.gif ), no need for a present.

icon_smile.gif

My gs calls me grandma cakes. And every one expects me to bring the cake too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%