A Dumb Question

Decorating By MommaDukes Updated 27 May 2010 , 6:22pm by superwawa

MommaDukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommaDukes Posted 17 May 2010 , 12:20am
post #1 of 18

I am new to cake decorating and I have a dumb question, when you do a tier cake, do you take the cake board off the 2nd or 3rd layer prior on top of the other cake.
thanks,
Pat

17 replies
newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 17 May 2010 , 12:46am
post #2 of 18

Yes, leave the cardboard round under the cakes. You dowel each tier (except the very top layer) and each tier has a cardboard round underneath it, otherwise the cake might sink into the layer(s) below.

No question is dumb! thumbs_up.gif

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 17 May 2010 , 2:15am
post #3 of 18

The cake board in conjunction with the dowels is what supports the cake. If you removed the cake board, the cake would still sink in to the cake below it.

MommaDukes Posted 17 May 2010 , 10:53am
post #4 of 18

Thanks yall, I thought you left it in there but my daughter was telling me I couldn't do that..
Thanks again,
I love this site and I am learning so much.

Pat

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 17 May 2010 , 11:29am
post #5 of 18

I agree no dumb questions...................If the board wasn't left in the dowels would dig into the cakes that were placed on top. Those boards do the work of keeping the dowels from punching through to the next layer. That's how we all learned from asking!!!! You should of heard the laughs I got when they said mix luster dust with alchohol and I thought it was rubbing alchohol instead of vodka. So no you question wasn't dumb.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 17 May 2010 , 11:55am
post #6 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaDukes

Thanks yall, I thought you left it in there but my daughter was telling me I couldn't do that..
Thanks again,
I love this site and I am learning so much.

Pat

icon_lol.gif Ask your daughter what's going to keep the dowels (supports) from ripping thru the cake? Don't feel dumb, I see this question asked quite often.

1.)Bottom tier (10 inches) place on cake base and insert supports.
2) middle tier (8 inches) place on cardboard circle insert supports.
3) top tier (6 inches) place on cardboard circle and place on 8 inch cake.
(Top tier doesn't supports because no cake rest on top of it)
When it's time to cut the cake you should remove the top and middle tiers. If they were't supported by their own cakeboards then how would you remove them from the cake below it? Eash tier is cut seperately not as one big cake.

CakeMom5001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMom5001 Posted 17 May 2010 , 2:16pm
post #7 of 18

Can I add to the question????

When you stack the cake - is there anything special that needs to be done, to be sure the icing doesn't come off with the cake board and the layer under has icing missing from the layer above?

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 17 May 2010 , 2:28pm
post #8 of 18

You're probably going to have a little bit of the icing come off when you take each tier off, but that's just the nature of the beast. You actually want that icing to stick to the bottom of the cardboard on the tier that's sitting on top to help keep it from slipping and sliding when you're transporting the cake.

One thing you can do (or tell the person cutting the cake) is to take a long knife (dipped in hot water and dried) and slide it directly under the cardboard to loosen it and to try and get a smooth top on the buttercream underneath.

CakeMom5001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMom5001 Posted 17 May 2010 , 2:31pm
post #9 of 18

Thank you!

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 17 May 2010 , 2:35pm
post #10 of 18

I also drive a long dowel down through all the tiers and boards to keep the tiers from sheering side to side.

mamawrobin Posted 17 May 2010 , 3:27pm
post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeMom5001

Can I add to the question????

When you stack the cake - is there anything special that needs to be done, to be sure the icing doesn't come off with the cake board and the layer under has icing missing from the layer above?

I cut a circle of wax paper the exact same size as my cakeboard and put this between the cakeboard and the tier underneath. It doesn't show and the icing will not stick.

MommaDukes Posted 17 May 2010 , 11:16pm
post #12 of 18

THANKS YALL. This information is priceless. thumbs_up.gif

debster Posted 18 May 2010 , 1:34am
post #13 of 18

I've never had much trouble with sticking IF you leave the icing crust well first. Sometimes a tiny spot will come off I scrap it with a knife and reapply.

MommaDukes Posted 26 May 2010 , 12:41am
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by tastyart

I also drive a long dowel down through all the tiers and boards to keep the tiers from sheering side to side. Check out my blog if you want some detailed instructions. I have info on both cake boards and stacking.

How do you do this? I would be afraid my cake would implode......... icon_confused.gif

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 26 May 2010 , 3:27am
post #15 of 18

It was a little unnerving for me the first time, but it really works. Once you give it a try you'll see that it is much easier than it sounds.

debster Posted 26 May 2010 , 3:30pm
post #16 of 18

Yep I would never travel with my cakes stacked but I use this method and take 4 tiers all the time it does work. Also , I do the dowel for people taking 2-3 tiers stacked home and no one has toppled one YET.

mamawrobin Posted 26 May 2010 , 10:19pm
post #17 of 18

I also use the center dowel thru the entire cake. Forgot to say that in my first post. I use the skinny wooden skewers you buy for the bbq grill. They already have a pointed end and they're thinner than a regular dowel so you displace less cake. Haven't lost a cake yet so they do work just as well as a large dowel.

superwawa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superwawa Posted 27 May 2010 , 6:22pm
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

I also use the center dowel thru the entire cake. Forgot to say that in my first post. I use the skinny wooden skewers you buy for the bbq grill. They already have a pointed end and they're thinner than a regular dowel so you displace less cake. Haven't lost a cake yet so they do work just as well as a large dowel.

Sorry to hijack the OP, but I am going to try using a center dowel for this first time next month and have a newbie, silly (not dumb, I know icon_wink.gif ) question. I understand that the pointed end goes through all cake layers and their cardboard bottoms, but what about the base? What do you use as your cake base/board so that the point can pierce it?

I will have a 3 tiers with a 10 inch square base cake, that at the venue will be placed onto a larger square cake plateau. I have been wondering what I should use as a base that can both look OK/work with the plateau but also allow the dowel to pierce it?

Thanks for any help/tips you can offer.

EDITED to add, as fate would have it this gorgeous cake just popped up in the gallery, and I can see a silver square cake drum on top of the plateau - which seems to be a good answer to my dilemma.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1688035&done=2

If that is not the best method, any other ideas are welcome!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%