Has Anyone Used Candymelts As A Fake "ganache"?

Baking By Jeep_girl816 Updated 27 May 2010 , 4:49am by JanH

glow0369 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glow0369 Posted 17 May 2010 , 6:08pm
post #31 of 67

oh well.. hundreds of decorators on this site us them....with great success

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 17 May 2010 , 7:54pm
post #32 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowcakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by glow0369

I have used both and no one noticed the difference...

That's a poor palate. If you gave someone ganache and something made with the chocolate flavored candy melts at the same time, they would definitly be able to tell the difference. Candy melts are "chocolate flavored" candy, not chocolate. I never understand why on this site people try to say the melts are just as okay to use to make ganache as real chocolate. they are not even chocolate and that is NOT ganache.

I agree. thumbs_up.gif

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 17 May 2010 , 8:30pm
post #33 of 67

Different strokes for different folks...

I hate fiery food, many people seldom eat anything else.

I hate all that electronic crap on the phones, many people want more; I just want to make and receive calls, not shoot a rocket to Mars for heaven's sake.

I wear Keds tennis shoes, someone else wears stilettos.

3LittleBeesCookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3LittleBeesCookies Posted 17 May 2010 , 8:44pm
post #34 of 67

I only use candy melts for candy molding and my candy clay. I prefer natural chocolate for ganache. I've read that chopped chocolate is better than using chips, but I'll use the chips if that's all I have. icon_smile.gif

mamawrobin Posted 17 May 2010 , 9:04pm
post #35 of 67

It's not a matter of "different strokes". It's a matter of WHAT ganache IS.

Ganache is a French term referring to a smooth mixture of chocolate and cream. Period. icon_smile.gif

7yyrt Posted 17 May 2010 , 9:42pm
post #36 of 67

The OP stated she wanted to make fake ganache.

For everyone to keep telling her she will be making fake ganache is a little redundant, is it not?
That is what she wants to make.

mamawrobin Posted 17 May 2010 , 9:49pm
post #37 of 67

The op isn't the one that ask the question that brought it up. I believe it was Madge. icon_lol.gif

Bunsen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bunsen Posted 17 May 2010 , 10:21pm
post #38 of 67

I imagine it has a lot to do with cost - the finest chocolate is expensive and if you want to try a cheaper alternative for a hobby baker to practice with (as the OP stated when asking for advice on fake ganache) who are we to judge? I'd like to wear Jimmy Choos, they are the finest quality shoes - but more often than not I buy my shoes in Target so I can also feed my family.

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 18 May 2010 , 6:41am
post #39 of 67

OP asked - Has anyone used candy melts or Nestle white morsels as a sort of fake ganache?

You can make a candy cream filling - but your surely not making a *ganache*
Find it hard to believe that of all the thousands of places on line you can't find/buy *chocolate* to make Ganache.

Many say - *i use them* - but what i wonder is - what is the candy cream like 2 - 3 days after you have deliverd it to a customer - icon_confused.gif

candy melts are not chocolate - they are just candy melts.

Hope nobody ever tells a customer that their cake will be torted and ganached using this method.

its like saying - i have a fake diamond -
nooooooo you don't .....................you have a piece of glass thats been cut to sparkle.
there is no such thing as a fake diamond - a diamond is a DIAMOND.

Meowcakes wrote:
That's a poor palate. If you gave someone ganache and something made with the chocolate flavored candy melts at the same time, they would definitly be able to tell the difference. Candy melts are "chocolate flavored" candy, not chocolate. I never understand why on this site people try to say the melts are just as okay to use to make ganache as real chocolate. they are not even chocolate and that is NOT ganache.

And that is about as clear as you can say it - well said MC. thumbs_up.gif

Bluehue.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 18 May 2010 , 6:50am
post #40 of 67

ok welI guess that about covers it (no pun intended lol)

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 18 May 2010 , 7:17am
post #41 of 67

Ganache (pronounced /ɡəˈnɑːʃ/, from the French word for "jowl")[1] is a glaze, icing, or filling for pastries made from chocolate and cream.[2]Its origins date to around 1850, when it may have been invented in Switzerland or in France.[3]

Ganache is normally made by heating heavy/double cream, then pouring it over chopped dark semi-sweet chocolate. The mixture is stirred or blended until smooth, with liqueurs or extracts added if desired.

Depending on the kind of chocolate used, what the ganache is intended for, and the temperature it will be served at, the ratio of chocolate to cream is varied to obtain the desired consistency. Typically, two parts chocolate to one part cream are used for filling cakes or truffle base, while three to one are commonly used in a glaze. Cooled ganache can be whipped to increase volume and spread to cover a cake.
from wikipedia icon_smile.gif

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 18 May 2010 , 7:24am
post #42 of 67

Remember seeing this posted in oither threads regarding ganache.

Don't see any mention of *candY * melts icon_wink.gif

Bluehue.

glow0369 Posted 18 May 2010 , 12:00pm
post #43 of 67

Remember the original question.. people have gotten off track...

glow0369 Posted 18 May 2010 , 12:01pm
post #44 of 67

we know what ganache is.......

mamawrobin Posted 18 May 2010 , 12:07pm
post #45 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by glow0369

Remember the original question.. people have gotten off track...

Others (besides the op) posted questions in this thread reguarding ganache. Some of these post are in reference to THOSE questions. icon_smile.gif

Which proved that not everyone KNEW what "ganache is". icon_smile.gif

7yyrt Posted 18 May 2010 , 2:54pm
post #46 of 67

Personally, I hate candy melts, they taste to me like flavored Crisco or Easter Bunnies.
Image I will use them for holiday display candies as they are pretty, but I don't want to eat them.

Other people seem to like them though.

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 18 May 2010 , 3:00pm
post #47 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by lngo

Yep, I've used Nestle for all my ganache. It is sweeter, but it works. Rylan uses Nestle for all his ganache too...and his cakes are true art!

FYI: Rylan is a SHE...

icon_smile.gif

dalis4joe Posted 18 May 2010 , 3:09pm
post #48 of 67

if we go by what you guys are saying about how ganache is NOT ganache unless is done with REAL CHOCOLATE... then no one has EVER MADE REAL WHITE CHOCOLATE GANACHE... because there is no such thing as white chocolate.... not the expensive one... not the cheap one.... White Chocolate is NOT CHOCOLATE.... you can ask any expert and that's what they would tell you....

icon_smile.gif

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 18 May 2010 , 3:13pm
post #49 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalis4joe

Quote:

Yep, I've used Nestle for all my ganache. It is sweeter, but it works. Rylan uses Nestle for all his ganache too...and his cakes are true art!

icon_smile.gif

Are you sure about that dalis4joe? (have you seen his photo)?

Ingo, most (if not all) his cakes are dummies so I doubt there is ganache on them.

dalis4joe Posted 18 May 2010 , 3:17pm
post #50 of 67

I talk to Ry all the time and I have seen her picks on Flickr.... icon_smile.gif

EDITED TO ADD....

Wait a sec... I just went to check my faves on flickr and I think I got the wrong Ry lol.... I take that back.... sorry I had a mental pic and that wan't Ry lol....

So Ry might just be a he not a she after all

lol it's funny how we have a "mental picture" of the people we talk to here... and to be honest all this time... I picture Ry like this fave I have on flickr.... it might be that he or she? lol sent me that link... cause I have it tagged as Ry...but on the profile this person is fram Australia and Ry is from Vegas lol

sorry again icon_redface.gif

Gefion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gefion Posted 18 May 2010 , 3:25pm
post #51 of 67
Quote:

if we go by what you guys are saying about how ganache is NOT ganache unless is done with REAL CHOCOLATE... then no one has EVER MADE REAL WHITE CHOCOLATE GANACHE... because there is no such thing as white chocolate.... not the expensive one... not the cheap one.... White Chocolate is NOT CHOCOLATE.... you can ask any expert and that's what they would tell you....

icon_smile.gif

That depends on which expert you're asking. Some say it's not, because it has no cocoa solids. Some say it is, because it has cocoa butter.

So people have certainly been making real white ganache.

tmgarcia_98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmgarcia_98 Posted 18 May 2010 , 3:36pm
post #52 of 67

Well....I have never made ganache before, so I have no input on the subject, I am just curious to see if Rylan will come on and solve the mystery!!!!

dawncr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawncr Posted 18 May 2010 , 3:45pm
post #53 of 67

Just weighing in with my opinion only---

I think it's fine if persons want to use candy melts.

I can taste the difference in half a second; others can't. I've got an insensitive palate for a few other foods, just not chocolate.

However, if one is selling to the public, it seems to violate truth-in-selling laws to call it "chocolate" or "ganache." I'd be upset if I purchased a cake that was filled or iced in "ganache" that turned out to be made with candy melts. Ditto with "chocolate-covered" anything. That's why there's such a distinction required in the packaged chocolates we buy.

dalis4joe Posted 18 May 2010 , 3:53pm
post #54 of 67

I ALSO think it's fine to use candy melts (I use Nestle Morsels) as long as you are tasting a good product.... it's like boxed vs scratch.... if it tastes good... I do see why people are saying you shouldn't call it this or that...

I just feel some people have this "entitlement" to correct everyone...all the time...

but I was not saying this put down anyone that uses candy melts or morsels... I use morsels for white chocolate and it is not a waste of heavy cream... cause it tastes really yummy....

icon_smile.gif

mamawrobin Posted 18 May 2010 , 4:55pm
post #55 of 67
Quote:

Quote:

icon_smile.gif

No dalis Rylan is a HE thumbs_up.gif

mamawrobin Posted 18 May 2010 , 4:57pm
post #56 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmgarcia_98

Well....I have never made ganache before, so I have no input on the subject, I am just curious to see if Rylan will come on and solve the mystery!!!!

He has "solved the mystery" in other threads. He is a HE. icon_lol.gif

mamawrobin Posted 18 May 2010 , 5:00pm
post #57 of 67
Quote:

I ALSO think it's fine to use candy melts (I use Nestle Morsels) as long as you are tasting a good product.... it's like boxed vs scratch.... if it tastes good... I do see why people are saying you shouldn't call it this or that...

I just feel some people have this "entitlement" to correct everyone...all the time...

but I was not saying this put down anyone that uses candy melts or morsels... I use morsels for white chocolate and it is not a waste of heavy cream... cause it tastes really yummy....

icon_smile.gif

I don't really think this thread falls into the "entitlement" category dails. It' isn't about one icing being better than the other or such but instead is about the FACT (since the question was asked) that it takes CHOCOLATE to make ganache. Some actually didn't know that. Loved you "tool" cake BTW. icon_smile.gif

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 18 May 2010 , 5:02pm
post #58 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmgarcia_98

He has "solved the mystery" in other threads. He is a HE. icon_lol.gif

icon_eek.gif I think that's what I said.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 18 May 2010 , 7:37pm
post #59 of 67

I am a he, Hehehe icon_smile.gif

All my cakes except for a couple are a combination of dummies and real cakes (usually the simple tiers are real). After the cake is eaten, it is then recreated again for display at my home...usually done a few weeks later. But all cakes are photographed the day it is done.

dalis4joe Posted 18 May 2010 , 8:37pm
post #60 of 67

I did edit my post to clarify my :dumb dumb: moment hehehe.... mamawrobin thanks about the cake... everyone has been given me a lot of positive feedback on it....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%