Free Convection Oven -Should I Take It..

Decorating By kaseyrconnect Updated 16 May 2010 , 11:17pm by adonisthegreek1

kaseyrconnect Posted 16 May 2010 , 10:47pm
post #1 of 5

I am leaving in a few minutes to go to my son and daughter-in-laws new place, which is my ex-husbands old place. My ex-husband and wife left a fairly new convection oven there because their new place already has a stove. They said that maybe I would like it. The oven I have right now is just a normal one, and is about 10 years old and works fine. I have heard that convection ovens work differently than the regular ones, and would be good for baking. I guess I am wondering if anyone has one and if they are really happy with it. If it isn't much different than what I have then I won't bother with it. Thanks for any feedback.

4 replies
Justbeck101 Posted 16 May 2010 , 10:54pm
post #2 of 5

I don't hae one, but I have read that they bake more evenly. I would get it if I were you. I know a person who actually keeps an oven on her back porch because she bakes alot and has lots of parties. She uses the oven, outside, so it does not heat up her house so much. I know another person who kept an extra one in their garage and used it in the garage. I have no idea if any of this is safe or not but just what I have heard. None of these people run a business.

artscallion Posted 16 May 2010 , 10:57pm
post #3 of 5

Measure the inside. Not all, but many convection ovens are not as deep as regular ovens because they have to house the convection fans in the back. I know a few people who were surprised when they couldn't fit some of their pans in that fit fine in their regular ovens.

If you do cupcakes, there may be an issue. Apparently, because of the fans, the tops of cupcakes have a decidedly slanted wave top to them. I don't make cupcakes myself. So perhaps someone who does can speak to this.

kaseyrconnect Posted 16 May 2010 , 11:00pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks to both of you for responding so quickly, and for the info. I will be sure to measure the inside, and I do cupcakes a lot, so this is something that I should keep in mind. Thanks again.

adonisthegreek1 Posted 16 May 2010 , 11:17pm
post #5 of 5

If it's free, take it! You usually have to turn the temp down somewhat and watch for cake batter blowing, but they really do save time. You'll learn what adjustments you need to make. They are fantastic for cooking full meals.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%