Newbie Needs Help Asap With Picture Transfer

Decorating By Renao5 Updated 16 May 2010 , 10:27pm by EvMarie

Renao5 Posted 16 May 2010 , 9:53pm
post #1 of 5

I'm in a bit of a pickle and need some help making a special cake for my Mom's 67th birthday this week (Thursday - 20th). She is an avid counted-cross-stitch gal and I thought it would be special to her if I recreated a cross-stitch she gave to me. (I have attached a photo). I'm not sure what the best / easiest method would be to get this design transferred to the cake. I've read many ideas ranging from tracing it to rice paper and then laying that on the cake ... to outlining it on wax paper and then filling everything in before putting it on the cake. I'm just too new to know if those ideas will work well, which is best or if there is a better one out there that someone here has tried. Does anyone have some ideas on how to get this design onto the cake? I want it to look as perfect in reality as it does in my head (ha ha), but am clueless on what the best way to go about that would be. If possible, I would like to use a small tip that will mimic the idea of cross-stitching. My Mom's stitch is so small that it almost looks like small dots (like a Wilton tip #2), so I just don't know if that's realistic.

Thanks so much for helping a newbie out.

Kate
RENAO5
(which stands for my five kiddos - Ryan, Emily, Nicholas, Anderson and Owen)[/img]
LL

4 replies
bettinashoe Posted 16 May 2010 , 10:08pm
post #2 of 5

What about an edible image? If you don't have an edible image printer, you can take the photo to a grocery store which sells edible images and they will transfer it over for a fairly minimal cost, as long as the image is not copyrighted. It's a beautiful piece of needlework and will look lovely on a cake.

crisseyann Posted 16 May 2010 , 10:20pm
post #3 of 5

Gorgeous piece of artwork! I agree, an edible image would be the way to go to make it look as accurate as possible. I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out. Good luck!

mbark Posted 16 May 2010 , 10:26pm
post #4 of 5

only problem with an edible image is that's it's very one-dimensional. just something to consider. I don't know if those other methods would work or not.

EvMarie Posted 16 May 2010 , 10:27pm
post #5 of 5

I'm not SUPER new still at cakes...but I have tried a few techniques so I may have some experiences for you to consider...

First off, I haven't tried an edible image, but it does seem like the easiest way to incorporate the image exactly as you have it. Call your local grocery stores, and Walmart, and any cake supply stores in your area. It's possibly they can provide an edible image. We have a small cake supply who does it. She charges $5 per page. You just gotta take her the file on a disk.

Second, I've tried a technique using fondant and a picture. Sort of like a puzzle. It's not horribly hard, but you probably won't get all the detail in your picture. You print out 2 pictures the size you want. One to refer to & one to cut to pieces, like a puzzle. Then, you proceed to mix the fondant the colors you'll need. Roll out, and use the "puzzle pieces" you've cut out to cut around. You can sort of pinch the fondant to create the drapes you have. The dots on the clothes, bird details, and hairpiece, details can be added with royal icing. Just be creative & above all calm. I used a marshmellow fondant & rolled buttercream mix when I tried this. It didn't work so good. If I did it again, I'd probably buy the pre-made Wilton fondant & just not eat it. That fondant seems like it would be easier to work with but doesn't taste so good. If you look in my pics, I did this technique with Harry Potter. My attempt was "okay" but I got the idea from dutch-cakebox. Check out her harry potter - - it's just so neat. Lots of details. I had the hardest time with the face details.

That pin prick method seems like I'd want to rip my hair out. But you may do good with it. Don't fret...you'll figure it out. If you try the fondant thing - just give yourself some time. Good Luck!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%