Cool New Tool

Decorating By Mommyofseven Updated 6 Jul 2011 , 6:34am by josefina20

Mb20fan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mb20fan Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 3:11pm
post #31 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgeowens

Yes but are they food safe?

After the circle is cut, the board gets covered in the food safe wrapping.

I love my cutter and it is so much easier, but I WISH I could find one that allows for the blades to be changed to bigger ones. I find once I move to the 1/2 foam core board, I have to cut on side, then flip and cut on the other because it's so thick - which is still wayyyyy easier than using the exacto. But a bigger - longer blade would be awesome!!!! Image

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 25 Dec 2010 , 1:25am
post #32 of 52

After I saw this thread I went out to home depot and got one. I used it and I absolutely love it. It is going to save me the frustration of trying to cut it with an exacto knife!!!!! So worth it and I can't wait to use it the next time I have to use a SPS like leah_s said!!!!

gr8yf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gr8yf Posted 25 Dec 2010 , 4:08am
post #33 of 52

I am excited, ingenious folks here.

cakesmart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesmart Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 7:50pm
post #34 of 52

Really cool...thanks for the tip!

simplysouthern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysouthern Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 8:36pm
post #35 of 52

AH....Mazing!!!!!! Thanks this world perfectly on my foamcore board whooo hooo

simplysouthern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysouthern Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 8:36pm
post #36 of 52

AH....Mazing!!!!!! Thanks this world perfectly on my foamcore board whooo hooo

DaphneSUE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaphneSUE Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 8:42pm
post #37 of 52

this would also work great for cutting large fondant circles for covering cakes...

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 8:55pm
post #38 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaphneSUE

this would also work great for cutting large fondant circles for covering cakes...

I wouldn't be doing that if these things aren't actually food safe devices. Maybe someone just needs to create a food-safe one.

shannycakers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannycakers Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 9:04pm
post #39 of 52

what thickness of foam core does everyone use?? and do you also use a larger piece of foamcore to sit the cake on once finished, is it sturdy enough to hold a cake?

always wondered how foam core worked..thanks in advance..

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 3:28am
post #40 of 52

I just ordered one and I can't wait to get it!! icon_smile.gif

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 3:53am
post #41 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchockeyguy

Quote:

I wouldn't be doing that if these things aren't actually food safe devices. Maybe someone just needs to create a food-safe one.

Many of us use Xacto knives. Are they "food safe"? If well-cleaned and dried, I can't imagine there would be any issues with these circle-knives.

cake_architect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_architect Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 4:05am
post #42 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannycakers

what thickness of foam core does everyone use?? and do you also use a larger piece of foamcore to sit the cake on once finished, is it sturdy enough to hold a cake?

always wondered how foam core worked..thanks in advance..

the foam core i use is about 1/4" thick, its the standard size found at walmart or michaels. I cut circles to put under each layer and also use it for the bottom of the enitire cake. normally, the standard foam core is sufficient to hold the cake, but when doing anything larger than two layers (8"/6") i double up the foam core or buy one twice as thick. i usually cut the bottom board 2"-3" larger than the bottom layer, tack scrapbook paper to it, and cover it in clear con-tact paper. works like a charm!

BlueMoon73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlueMoon73 Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 4:22am
post #43 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcubed82

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchockeyguy

Quote:

Many of us use Xacto knives. Are they "food safe"? If well-cleaned and dried, I can't imagine there would be any issues with these circle-knives.

I would think if it is only used on food and never for anything else it would be ok? I often buy clay tools for fondant/gumpaste decorating.

Karen421 Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 2:21pm
post #44 of 52

Since you are not eating the foam core - and if you only use it on your foam core and not on actual dry wall, I think it will be just fine. I have many tools that are stainless steel and that are not meant for cakes. I bought them for cakes only, have them marked "for cakes" and keep them well cleaned. icon_smile.gif

Mommyofseven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mommyofseven Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 3:07pm
post #45 of 52

I have learned so much from this site it feels good to give back just a little.

Karen421 Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 6:34pm
post #46 of 52

And I appreciate this tip!! Thank You!! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 1:59pm
post #47 of 52

Thanks for the tip! As far as being made to be 'food safe', how many items in our kitchens really are? Did you not buy scissors or a knife or foam core or any fondant roller that is made in China or a paint roller for BC? Were they designated for food use when you bought them? No, we do that when they get to our kitchen...so, do not be concerned, "oh ye who are 'cake PC'"...it is just another cake tool! Thanks for sharing!!!!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

ajwonka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajwonka Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 2:09pm
post #48 of 52

I'm on my way to get a drywall circle cutter!! Thanks!

Karen421 Posted 27 Mar 2011 , 1:39am
post #49 of 52

Oh man since I bought mine, it has become one of my favorite tools!!! thumbs_up.gif

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 28 Mar 2011 , 4:52pm
post #50 of 52

Wow, this is awesome...I never knew a 'drywall cutter' ever existed icon_redface.gif
Thank you all! thumbs_up.gif

Delynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Delynn Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 3:28am
post #51 of 52

For the THICK foamcore boards, I use my electric craft knife kit that I bought at Michael's. It's basically a SUPER HOT Xacto knife that cuts all the way through like a knife through butter. icon_biggrin.gif

josefina20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
josefina20 Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 6:34am
post #52 of 52

thanks for this posting.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%