It's Just A Cake!!!

Decorating By bengals Updated 17 May 2010 , 2:33pm by Spuddysmom

bengals Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bengals Posted 16 May 2010 , 6:49pm
post #1 of 24

just need to vent to people who understand..

i am currently living in dublin and decorate cakes for friends and family and when my sister invited me over to glasgow for her hen night i got out my baking books and started planning her cake

i decided to do debbie browns "come and get me" cake spent lots of hours making it up late etc and managed to get it on the flight and home to my mums in perfect condition

we head out to the hotel that evening and i explain to the receptionist that this is a surprise for my sister and would appreciate it if they could bring it to the table after our meal so there we are having a great time and the table opposite has a 50th birthday cake arrive and we all join in singing happy birthday 40 minutes after the meal i go in search of my cake after asking two staff members to locate it to no avail

a woman asks me to follow her through to the back of the kitchen and presents me with my cake which had been cut into what looked like a billion pieces then tells me she dosen't understand why i'm so upset as it's only a cake icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

oh boy by the end of our "conversation" icon_rolleyes.gif she understood why i was so upset over just a cake!!!

23 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 16 May 2010 , 6:57pm
post #2 of 24

Why in the world did they cut it up?

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 16 May 2010 , 7:07pm
post #3 of 24

Did something "happen" to the cake and they tried to cover it by slicing it up?

MalibuBakinBarbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 16 May 2010 , 7:07pm
post #4 of 24

I am at a loss for words to console you!!!! How awful!!! I hope you took some pictures so your sister can at least see what the special cake looked like. icon_rolleyes.gif

I had a similar thing happen for my first niece's christening. The 3-tier stacked cake topped with a sugar paste bassinet (my avatar, which took me hours and hours and hours to make) was brought out JUST before serving. Many of our family and friends didn't even get to see it and said they "heard" it was beautiful. Everyone enjoyed eating it, though, so all ended well. icon_smile.gif

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 16 May 2010 , 7:09pm
post #5 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep_girl816

Did something "happen" to the cake and they tried to cover it by slicing it up?

Good question.

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 16 May 2010 , 7:15pm
post #6 of 24

oh that is just tragic!
icon_cry.gif

thesweetlifestore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thesweetlifestore Posted 16 May 2010 , 7:24pm
post #7 of 24

OMG READING THAT MY HEART LITERALLY DROPPED TO MY TUMMY LOL BUT ITS TRUE PEOPLE WHO DONT BAKE OR COOK DONT APPRECIATE THE HARD WORK THAT GOES INTO IT LOL lucky for me alot of the cake shows on tv have helped meicon_smile.gif i use to complain that sometimes my arms hurt from rolling the fondant and my boyfriend would laugh until i made him watch the cake boss and Carlos complained about it too and he is a big guy. my bf looked at me and said woow thats alot of work that goes into jus cakes lol

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 17 May 2010 , 1:14am
post #8 of 24

I know how you feel ! I hope you got some nice pics of the cake before the idiots chopped it up.

My DH asked me to do a special cake for a group he's a member of. He wanted a real centerpiece--a stack of books that meeting members had been part of and a 3-D anesthesia inhaler ("glass" globe with "brass" fittings).

We asked for a dedicated table for the cake in the dining room.

When we arrived, there was no table. The organizer suggested that we take the cake into the kitchen icon_eek.gificon_mad.gif NO WAY. She can't seem to grasp the concept that this cake took many hours to make and was made TO BE SEEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I spy a lovely antique round table in the vestibule and state loudly, "Well, if there's nothing else, we can move that into the dining room......." They found a table, real quick.

After we set up the cake and the 60 guests finished taking photos and oohing and ahhing, the organizer came over and without apologizing, she commented that she understood why I "needec the table"--DUH icon_confused.gif

Rae

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 17 May 2010 , 2:09am
post #9 of 24

My mouth literally dropped open with an OH NO! All that work and anticipation of the surprise! That's just awful! (((HUGS))) Cake Muggles never cease to surprise me!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 17 May 2010 , 2:20am
post #10 of 24

Oh NO! I would have BAWLED...that's awful. icon_sad.gif

I hope they at least gave you your meals free.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 17 May 2010 , 2:36am
post #11 of 24

Oh MAN!! It's unbelievable what a complete lack of understanding can do, eh? I'm so sorry for your disappointment, and like everyone else said, I hope you could at least show your sis a pic of it. I was worried you were going to say you presented her with the cake and her response was like, "Yah, so, it's only a cake." Thank goodness the staff are the inconsiderate ones, not your sis! (You don't have to ever see them again!) Then, as I got further in the story I thought, "Oh no! I hope they didn't give her cake to the birthday table and not you!" That would've almost been better because you could at least have had people see it!

JohnnyCakes1966 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 17 May 2010 , 3:07am
post #12 of 24

Oh...I assumed they DID give the cake to the birthday table. icon_confused.gif Did the hotel staff eat the cake?

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 17 May 2010 , 3:08am
post #13 of 24

WHAT A TERRIBLE THING TO HAVE HAPPEND. I too hope you have pics to show your sis. OMG I would have killed someone

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 17 May 2010 , 3:30am
post #14 of 24

OH I am so sorry that happened!! Why on earth did they cut it up??

QueenMo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QueenMo Posted 17 May 2010 , 4:01am
post #15 of 24

i would not have handled that well...how did they explain why it was cut up?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 May 2010 , 6:08am
post #16 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenMo

i would not have handled that well...

Me neither. I would have meant to say, "Gosh, we didnt' intend for the cake to be cut ahead of time" but it probably would have come out as "What the f*** did you do to my cake???????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 17 May 2010 , 6:10am
post #17 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenMo

i would not have handled that well...

Me neither. I would have meant to say, "Gosh, we didnt' intend for the cake to be cut ahead of time" but it probably would have come out as "What the f*** did you do to my cake???????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Thats what I would have said for sure thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

peridotsun1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peridotsun1 Posted 17 May 2010 , 6:21am
post #18 of 24

And I thought it was because the waitress was a ditz. My friend made a cake and wrote "I'm pregnant!" to surprise us all. Well the people in the back must have been blind and stupid because they cut it all up! It was bad, I couldn't believe it.

bengals Posted 17 May 2010 , 8:26am
post #19 of 24

Thanks for all your kind words I knew you would understand, the excuse given for the cake being cut was that anything that is taken to the kitchen is chopped and I stressed that I had left the cake at reception not at the kitchen or with a member of the kitchen staff.

I had to walk away from this lady (who had been joined by two other staff members who stood nodding their heads like those little dogs you get for the car) as I was so angry I was getting upset.

My sister gave me a big hug and was delighted at the thought of my efforts that went into the cake and the journey it had came in one piece she then went to town with the manager and scored free wine for the rest of the night I would have suggested champagne icon_razz.gif. But we made sure we drank lots and most of us girls took a bottle home in our bag icon_lol.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 May 2010 , 10:14am
post #20 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by bengals

Thanks for all your kind words I knew you would understand, the excuse given for the cake being cut was that anything that is taken to the kitchen is chopped .....

First, since when do we "chop" up cakes? icon_confused.gif That says a lot about their mentality to start with. And as a caterer, I will say that is THE most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.

"Well it's in the kitchen so I guess that means we take a knife to it!" icon_eek.gif

WTH??????

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 17 May 2010 , 1:02pm
post #21 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by bengals

But we made sure we drank lots and most of us girls took a bottle home in our bag icon_lol.gif

They're lucky that was ALL that was in your bag when you left! Hahaha! At least you will never FORGET this visit, eh? icon_rolleyes.gif

bengals Posted 17 May 2010 , 1:43pm
post #22 of 24

Certainly an unforgettable visit I just wanted my friends and family at home in Scotland to see my work for real rather in just pictures oh well maybe there will be a next time soon icon_smile.gif

cakesbymark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbymark Posted 17 May 2010 , 2:18pm
post #23 of 24

i feel for ya, i had something like that take place about a month ago
i was asked to make a wedding style 3 tiered cake to serve over 100 people for a wedding party for my nephew (19 years old) and his bride (18 years old) to be
so i make a 3 tiered all bc cake with 60 bc red and white roses
i bring it to the party and everyone loves the cake says how beautiful it is i stay for about an hour and have to head home as my wife and 2 small children are are and have been sick for a few days..... well i get a call from my mother the next day telling me how about an hour after i left is when the cake was going to get cut, but the bride to be decides to just start
grabbing the cake with her hands and throwing it at different people and when people start getting upset like my mother..her response was.
its just F*#@in Cake who cares........my mother flipped out,the future mother in law caused a huge fight.......needless to say my self,wife and my partents are not going to the wedding next month..
some people just dont care and have no respect or understanding for us bakers/decorators

Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 17 May 2010 , 2:33pm
post #24 of 24

icon_eek.gificon_cry.gif I am soo sorry! I know I would have just walked out the door and back on the plane blind with rage! The worst one I heard of before this was the stunning wedding cake delivered to the reception hall and cut and plated BEFORE the bride and groom even arrived. No one saw it. But you actually delivered this cake via plane? sigh..... you took it so well....... my glass of (faux) ale to you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%