Air Brush Help Please!!

Decorating By jessica14 Updated 20 May 2010 , 9:57pm by kaat

jessica14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessica14 Posted 16 May 2010 , 6:34pm
post #1 of 15

Hi!! I am not new to cake decorating but I am new to air brushing. I am looking for advise on what kind of airbrush gun would be best for cake decorating! You guys are the best at advise!! Thanks so much!

14 replies
tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 16 May 2010 , 10:28pm
post #2 of 15

I am actually searching for a great deal on one myself!

iletmn0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iletmn0 Posted 16 May 2010 , 11:28pm
post #3 of 15

Here is a very portable airbrush system that is small and compact but works wonderful. It's $120 on Amazon but is sold at other places for about $140 plus shipping. It also comes with some airbrush colors to get you started.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003KKJDDC/?tag=cakecentral-20

I also have a Grex system which is portable but not as small as the one above plus it's much more expensive at about $409 for the airbrush and compressor.

ameliasam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ameliasam Posted 16 May 2010 , 11:50pm
post #4 of 15

I got my from Decopac.com it was $160 and I love it and the prices for the color are great.

tarheelgirl Posted 17 May 2010 , 12:19am
post #5 of 15

I've actually been looking at the one Airbrush system by Creative Cutters. GSA was out of stock so I ordered the one from Amazon! I've read really good reviews on CC and other places. thumbs_up.gif

Kath2211 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kath2211 Posted 17 May 2010 , 11:30am
post #6 of 15

Hi, I am using the Airmaster from Kopycake. You can order compressor and gun together. Has a nice long cord. Comes with 3 colors. I love mine!

jessica14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessica14 Posted 17 May 2010 , 3:35pm
post #7 of 15

Thanks so much for all your help and input!!

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 17 May 2010 , 7:32pm
post #8 of 15

There were a few threads the end of last year I found very helpful in choosing my airbrush. I wound up with a Paasche Double Action and an ADJUSTABLE PSI Central Pneumatic compressor from Harbor Freight and am very happy. Here are some threads that may help you as well:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-653579.html
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-651220.html
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-660862.html

iletmn0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iletmn0 Posted 17 May 2010 , 10:40pm
post #9 of 15

Tarheelgirl, I think you are going to really enjoy the amazon system, it is a great system for it's size. It's just so convenient. I love it. BTW, which color did you order? I got a pink one. It's purrty!

tarheelgirl Posted 20 May 2010 , 3:23pm
post #10 of 15

It just came today! I ordered the pink one and was very surprised at how small it is. Definitely will not take up a ton of room and it seems to have great pressure. It did come with a pack of 10 colors to start!

Question: Do you just fill the cup with the color like it is or do you have to put vodka with the color? What ratio? I would think you have to add vodka but thought it would be good to ask before wasting a bunch of color! icon_smile.gif

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 20 May 2010 , 6:42pm
post #11 of 15

If it's airbrush color you use it straight. If it's gel color I wouldn't put it in my airbrush.

tarheelgirl Posted 20 May 2010 , 8:08pm
post #12 of 15

Great! It's airbrush color, AmeriColor AmeriMist. Definitely will not be putting anything other than airbrush color in it!

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 20 May 2010 , 8:16pm
post #13 of 15

I just got the one from creative cutters for Mother's Day from GSA , I love it

tarheelgirl Posted 20 May 2010 , 9:37pm
post #14 of 15

That is the same exact one I purchased! Love it!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

kaat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaat Posted 20 May 2010 , 9:57pm
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

If it's airbrush color you use it straight. If it's gel color I wouldn't put it in my airbrush.

Yep, I just took a course - they recommended not to use colours with glycerin as it can clog the gun.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%