Have To Replace My Mixer- Got Any Suggestions?

Decorating By chellescountrycakes Updated 16 May 2010 , 8:29pm by chellescountrycakes

chellescountrycakes Posted 16 May 2010 , 6:15pm
post #1 of 6

Okay, so after 5 months I blew up my sunbeam stand up mixer.

I could barely afford the sunbeam- but fiqure its not worth going back to. everyone has told me to take it back to walmart and exchange it.and I shoudl try. but it will still break again.

I was also told to NOT buy the kitchen aid at walmart, as they have plastic gears, instead of real ones.

I make fondant and buttercream, and all that, and usually do about a cake a week- big cakes. I do it because i love to do it and really dont get paid to do it. they cover my costs and thats about it.

Where should I look for a kitchen aid? and what is the best price I can expect to pay?? I can drive an hour to a Hobby Lobby or a Sams. thats my only choices (that I know of)- I dont mind going if they have what I should get.

I am just looking right now- I'll have to save for a little while to get one, but need to know what my goal is.

5 replies
Occther Posted 16 May 2010 , 6:30pm
post #2 of 6

Where do you live? Kitchen Aid's outlet is in Ohio.

chellescountrycakes Posted 16 May 2010 , 7:15pm
post #3 of 6

In Texas. icon_smile.gif

Rusti Posted 16 May 2010 , 7:26pm
post #4 of 6

Just a word about Kirchenaides. A few years ago when Kitchenaide sold out to another company they decided to "save" money and replace some of the parts with plastic instead of metal. Then we started seeing oil leaks and engine burnouts. They got a lot of complaints and started getting a bad rep. They have since replaced the parts back to metal but there are still a lot of mixers out there that might have the plastic parts. A KitchenAide mixer is a good one if you get the right one. Look for the box or information to say "ALL METAL PARTS". The last time I looked in Target that's what they carried. Good luck and Happy caking!

KayMc Posted 16 May 2010 , 8:03pm
post #5 of 6

So, if I just ordered one last week, it should have the all-metal parts? Geesh! I bought my first kitchen aide about 25 yrs ago, and it's still going strong. That wouldn't happen w/ plastic parts.... Why did they DO this????

chellescountrycakes Posted 16 May 2010 , 8:29pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks for that!!

I'd like one that I could make a double batch of buttercream in. one is SOOO not enough. and one that the bowl spins when the mixers are going (my sunbeam did, but doesnt anymore, unless its real full, and then doesnt get the sides for about 2 inches???) is that possible??

Quote by @%username% on %date%