Does It Really Taste Good?

Decorating By Britt-K Updated 18 May 2010 , 12:54pm by Loucinda

Britt-K Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Britt-K Posted 16 May 2010 , 6:11pm
post #1 of 22

I have been having problems with bubbles in my buttercream, but I love the taste of it. I've seen alot of people use the buttercream that's made of all shortening. Does it really taste that good? I use butter and shortening in mine.

21 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 16 May 2010 , 6:18pm
post #2 of 22

I use Indydebi's buttercream receipe and I love it. I do beat my shortening for 15 minutes before adding any other ingredients (not necessary) because it makes it creamier.

Indydebi and Sharon (Sugarshack) both use all shortening buttercreams and are very successful with their businesses. I highly doubt that they would have been if their icing didn't taste good.

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 16 May 2010 , 6:38pm
post #3 of 22

I prefer the taste using all shortening instead of either the half butter and shortening or using all butter.

EJsImagin8ion4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EJsImagin8ion4 Posted 16 May 2010 , 6:45pm
post #4 of 22

I use 80% shortening and 20% butter and have had excellent results (great taste and consistency). I also like to cream the fats well before adding anything else and agree that my buttercream is always light and creamy when I use that method.

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 16 May 2010 , 6:51pm
post #5 of 22

I like the taste of butter-based buttercream but you can't get it bright white (that I know of), and once I started using Sharon's Sugarshack shortening-based frosting it became "mine". I flavor it with vanilla (80%), butter flavor (15%), and almond (5%) and always get great reviews. I just ordered some B&B Wedding Bouquet flavor that Sharon highly recommends and can't wait to try it.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 16 May 2010 , 6:55pm
post #6 of 22

IMHO, if it doesn't contain butter, then it's NOT buttercream. And, no, criscocream is disgusting to me. I know a lot of people like it, but I don't and pretty much no one in my family will eat it either.

Lelka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lelka Posted 16 May 2010 , 6:57pm
post #7 of 22

IMBC is my BC of choice, all butter version, no bubbles, smooths nicely and taste like a dream icon_smile.gif

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 16 May 2010 , 7:07pm
post #8 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

IMHO, if it doesn't contain butter, then it's NOT buttercream. And, no, criscocream is disgusting to me. I know a lot of people like it, but I don't and pretty much no one in my family will eat it either.

I love SMBC and IMBC but my family HATES it as do most of the people that I do cakes for.

DebbyJG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebbyJG Posted 16 May 2010 , 7:16pm
post #9 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britt-K

I have been having problems with bubbles in my buttercream, but I love the taste of it. I've seen alot of people use the buttercream that's made of all shortening. Does it really taste that good? I use butter and shortening in mine.

I won't eat a cake made with crisco creme either. Unfortunately most of my kids' friends' birthday parties (those whose parents haven't yet "converted" - lol - and still order their cakes from the grocery store) all have Crisco creme cakes. I can't stand the slimy mouth feel. Some people have good business success using it, and that's fine for them, so I'll never disparage it for other people, but as for me and my house, well, we serve the butter. icon_wink.gif

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 16 May 2010 , 7:24pm
post #10 of 22

Do u mean small air bubbles in the bc? Can happen if u use a mixer, and the beater isn't covered by the bc. Bigger batches will solve that problem!
xxG

prterrell Posted 16 May 2010 , 7:30pm
post #11 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Quote:

I love SMBC and IMBC but my family HATES it as do most of the people that I do cakes for.

Okay..... icon_confused.gif

TartletteTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TartletteTreats Posted 16 May 2010 , 11:19pm
post #12 of 22

I've run into the same thing... a lot of people think the IMBC and SMBC are too "whipped" for their taste.

cnhiatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cnhiatt Posted 16 May 2010 , 11:55pm
post #13 of 22

I agree with brincessb. I make my icing with 1/2 butter and 1/2 shortening and it's always smoother when I make a big batch.

angelicstyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelicstyle Posted 17 May 2010 , 12:10am
post #14 of 22

"When it comes to deciding which buttercream to use on my cakes its always a battle. I'm still searching for a nice not too sweet buttercream and haven't had the luck on zero in on one that I would love to use. Right now I'm using the IMBC but I don't don't think its that good for kids cake..Mmmmm just don't know".

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 17 May 2010 , 12:14am
post #15 of 22

Yes, it does taste good to those who like it.

Same way IMBC and SMBC doesn't taste good to those who don't like IT.

So what? Try it. If you like it, that's fine. If you don't like it, that's fine too.

Don't bash my icing and I won't bash yours.

I make what my family likes and what the other people eating my cakes like. If that happens to be poop on toast, so be it......it's not wrong or right. It just is what it is.

People down South grow up eating grits. I grew up in the North and I don't like grits---probably because by the time I tried them, my palate just wasn't going to acclimate to the texture or taste. Southerners aren't right because they like them and I'm not wrong because I don't--it just is.

My husband loves grapefruit--LOVES IT! To my taste buds, it's soooo bitter, I gag. It just is.

Why do people even ask this question anymore???? We ALL have different taste buds. What's so hard to accept about that and move on????
It just is.

Dragging off the dead horse..............
Rae

prterrell Posted 17 May 2010 , 2:05am
post #16 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

People down South grow up eating grits. I grew up in the North and I don't like grits---probably because by the time I tried them, my palate just wasn't going to acclimate to the texture or taste. Southerners aren't right because they like them and I'm not wrong because I don't--it just is.
Rae

I totally agree with you. Curious, though. Do you like polenta?

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 17 May 2010 , 2:45am
post #17 of 22

Sometimes there are more factors involved than taste alone. Finding a good crusting buttercream that is tasty, but will hold up to the humidity and temperatures in August in Arkansas is very important, and indydebi's works for me. In the winter, however, I prefer to use a 20% butter recipe.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 17 May 2010 , 3:55am
post #18 of 22
Quote:

I totally agree with you. Curious, though. Do you like polenta?

I love polenta when it's been formed into a cake and fried or broiled.

I don't like it at all when it's prepared like breakfast grits.

And I like things like farina, oatmeal, and congee, as well as whole hominy.

So, rather like the diverse family of buttercreams, both meringue style and American Decorator, there are simply some "recipes" that I prefer and others that I don't--no right, or wrong.

It just is.
Rae

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 17 May 2010 , 2:26pm
post #19 of 22

I'll just add that I would rather eat the crisco buttercream than the canned strawberry frosting I used last week on my cupcakes. There was something artificial in the taste.

Actually it is not the taste of the crisco buttercream. It is the crisco. When I can I use butter. But there are times when crisco holds up better in the heat (having learned it the hard way). So if the cake is going to be exposed to any kind of heat for a long period of time, I use crisco. Mainly Indydeb's recipe because we like it better than the Wilton recipe. And when I sent a cake with my DH to his workplace, this frosting went over real well. I think it is because it tastes like the frosting you get most often in the local grocer store.

Personally, for health reasons I have a problem eating crisco based shortening. But I am a very big minority in my household. No one else really cares.

Someday I am going to get my hands on some hi ratio shortening and see how that tastes. Then I may just become a hi ratio shortening snob. icon_wink.gif

Britt-K Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Britt-K Posted 18 May 2010 , 5:45am
post #20 of 22

I definitely was NOT trying to offend anyone. I've always used the same buttercream recipe because I like the taste, but I am not in love with the consistency. I do mostly fondant cakes so I haven't had to deal with this much until lately when I've been getting more buttercream orders. Since I just do a crumb coat underneath the fondant the little air bubbles haven't been an issue. I'd love to try something new, but I don't really believe in sacrificing taste for looks. If it tastes good like people say it does then I'd love to try it!

Its easy to get offended on here because you can't hear other's tone of voice and you can take things totally different than what they meant. Just something to remember . . . .

mim1106 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mim1106 Posted 18 May 2010 , 11:40am
post #21 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

Yes, it does taste good to those who like it.

Same way IMBC and SMBC doesn't taste good to those who don't like IT.

So what? Try it. If you like it, that's fine. If you don't like it, that's fine too.

Don't bash my icing and I won't bash yours.

I make what my family likes and what the other people eating my cakes like. If that happens to be poop on toast, so be it......it's not wrong or right. It just is what it is.

My husband loves grapefruit--LOVES IT! To my taste buds, it's soooo bitter, I gag. It just is.

Why do people even ask this question anymore???? We ALL have different taste buds. What's so hard to accept about that and move on????
It just is.

Dragging off the dead horse..............
Rae

Oh, BlakesCakes....if you served poop on toast, it WOULD be wrong...LMAO!! Thanks for the laugh!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 18 May 2010 , 12:54pm
post #22 of 22

BlakesCakes - thumbs_up.gif

I make 3 for tastings, one all butter buttercream, the sugarshack recipes (all hi-ratio shortning) and IMBC.

Hands down, they pick sugarshack's recipe. I offer all 3, but I make what the client wants.....and that is the all shortning recipe. Maybe it is what they grew up with??

If it ain't broke, I am not fixing it....I will make what sells period. I don't care if their tastebuds aren't "refined" or not....they buy what they like. icon_smile.gif

I personally don't like any of them, I am not an icing person. I like my cake plain!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%