Have Cake-Must Travel. Help.

Baking By sarabismommy Updated 17 May 2010 , 8:12pm by cakemom42

sarabismommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarabismommy Posted 16 May 2010 , 4:33pm
post #1 of 7

Hi all. I need to make a 50th anniversary cake that will be taken on a 7 hour road trip in the back of a hot car?????? They want lemon pound cake, vanilla buttercream, raspberry filling covered in fondant. I am concerned that the buttercream will melt on the inside causing the cake to droop or sag? Any suggestions for a filling that might be more safe to travel with?
Thanks!

6 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 16 May 2010 , 4:40pm
post #2 of 7

id say butter cream (made with crisco) is the most heat stable icing/ filling you get. but sitting in a hot car for that long - i wouldnt fancy my chances. does it not have ac? then id be looking at cool boxes, ice packs etc. or, taking ur equipment and the baked cakes, and doing the icing/ decorating up there.
(i dont use fillings, i just flavour bc, but i would think a filling, generally being more slippy is not a good idea - especially if they are transporting the cake themselves)
xx

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 16 May 2010 , 4:47pm
post #3 of 7

Wow...7 hours? Any way you can take your ingrediants and make it there? Or bake the cake at home and finish it there? I'm not sure there is anything that would stand up to 7 hours of heat. The best I could recommend is to use a cooler big enough to contain the cake boxes and then pack in cool packs (wrap those in cloth so they don't get the cake boxes wet as they melt. Good Luck! Cat

DetailsByDawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DetailsByDawn Posted 16 May 2010 , 5:08pm
post #4 of 7

I invested in some pizza bags and hot/cold bags a while back. I use SMBC to ice and fill most of my cakes. I travel min 2 hours with most of my cakes also. straight from the fridge, I slip them inside the bags and into the car. By the time the cake is served, they are usually still firm right through the entire cake - I would prefer that the SMBC comes to room temp, but it never makes it - it's always still too cold! Maybe this might work for you!

sarabismommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarabismommy Posted 16 May 2010 , 5:20pm
post #5 of 7

I think I will do a 50/50 flavored buttercream and skip the slippery raspberry. Yes the car has a/c but way in the back it is still hot. I am making this for a friend and i am not going on the road trip with her.
Thank you all for your input i really appreciate it.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 17 May 2010 , 7:39pm
post #6 of 7

just warn her that she should buy some cool boxes. and tell her to run the ac for a while before picking up the cake and for the whole trip, it should be fine really. make sure she knows to have it on a flat surface, and covered (ideally in the cool box!) and not sitting in direct sunlight, as much as possible.
xx

cakemom42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemom42 Posted 17 May 2010 , 8:12pm
post #7 of 7

Be sure she has a full tank of gas & most all things she needs so that stops are a min, quick & easy.

I've traveled 2 days with cakes before & it is a stressor but can be done.
Be sure the cake is placed closer to the front of the center of the car not in the back & definitely out of the sunlight windows... (it may have to be moved according to the time of day & where the sun is shinning in the car.
& if she leaves early in the am (around 5 or 6am) she would get to the destination at about 1pm before the heat of the day.

For the filling use a jam type filling it will hold up well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%