Colour Run

Decorating By dougal Updated 16 May 2010 , 7:36pm by dougal

dougal Posted 16 May 2010 , 9:59am
post #1 of 9

hi im new at this, i coloured some roll out icing yesterday and iced my cake with it. This morning when ive got up the colour has ran and the board looks like it has got gel on it. PLEASE HELP icon_sad.gificon_sad.gif

8 replies
leily Posted 16 May 2010 , 10:17am
post #2 of 9

hi, welcome to Cake Central.

What kind of Roll out icing did you use? (I am assuming you used fondant, but there is also a Rolled Buttercream recipe out there)

What kind of coloring did you use? Liquid, Gel? Brand?

dougal Posted 16 May 2010 , 10:20am
post #3 of 9

Thanks for replying.

It is fondant icing, from the supermarket. We used a burgundy powder food colouring from a cake shop.

icon_biggrin.gif

leily Posted 16 May 2010 , 10:32am
post #4 of 9

hmm... How was the cake stored? Did you put it in the fridge? or is it humid where it was sitting out?

dougal Posted 16 May 2010 , 10:56am
post #5 of 9

It was sat on the table. I thought it might have gotten too warm, but im not sure. Where is the best place to keep it?

icon_smile.gif

mamawrobin Posted 16 May 2010 , 11:10am
post #6 of 9

What did you put between the cake and the fondant? How did you prepare your cake before adding the fondant? Are their decorations on the cake? How did you mix in the powder food color?

dougal Posted 16 May 2010 , 11:16am
post #7 of 9

I put strawberry jam between the fondant and the cake. I didn't really prepare the cake apart from cutting off the crust. I kneaded the powder colouring into the fondant icing. I have only covered the cake with the burgundy fondant icing (it's going to be a convertable car) I still need to put the wheels/driver/windscreen on. icon_biggrin.gif

mamawrobin Posted 16 May 2010 , 11:20am
post #8 of 9

I'm not sure but the strawberry jam between the fondant and the cake may be your problem. How thick of a layer of jam did you use? Is your fondant "tacky" to the touch? or is it dry?

dougal Posted 16 May 2010 , 7:36pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks for your help,

I've finished the cake now and fingers crossed it will be ok for tomorrow.
I'm putting my pictures of the cakes i have done on here for you to look at.

Thanks,

icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%