Australia, Need Tips

Lounge By Ursula40 Updated 17 May 2010 , 2:42am by Ursula40

Ursula40 Posted 16 May 2010 , 7:45am
post #1 of 14

We just got back from touring California and it was fantastic. No problem with our daughter, who used to hate car trips with a venom. Soooo, now we are already thinking about touring Australia next year. Dates would be 22. April till 6th May (official holidays here in China)

We would love to see Sydney, perhaps drive up northwards past Brisbane. What would you aussie girls reccommend? Land south and drive north or vice versa? What should we definately have to see? Would love some input on what is worth it, what might not be in any books (looking for insider tips here) Do we have to book hotels beforehand or is it easy to get rooms at that time of year? What is the weather like usually? Our daughter will be 14 then, anything for teenies?

Am thankful for any tips on how to plan the trip, we've never been there

13 replies
CakeGenie1 Posted 16 May 2010 , 11:31am
post #2 of 14

Hi Ursula40
I live on the Gold Coast just south of Brisbane. Here we have the tourist parks, Movie World, Sea World, Dream World and two water parks, we also have the Australian Outback Spectacular. Go to www.myfun.com.au and there will be all the info you need on each park.
The weather here is great all year round and in April - May the the days are warm with mainly blue skies and cooler evenings. If you are partial to warmer weather then I suggest to start down south first, where it can be quite cool heading into winter this time of year, then travel north.
P.S. watch out for the drop bears icon_wink.gif

Ursula40 Posted 16 May 2010 , 11:42am
post #3 of 14

What are drop bears?

melave Posted 16 May 2010 , 11:48am
post #4 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursula40

What are drop bears?

Ursula40 Posted 16 May 2010 , 11:50am
post #5 of 14

utube doesn't work in my host country, like so many other sites, that is why, amongst other reasons, i am asking questions here that are not all cake related

melave Posted 16 May 2010 , 8:24pm
post #6 of 14

sorry Ursula, i didn't know icon_smile.gif Don't need to worry about drop bears icon_smile.gif

I went to Cairns last year and loved it!! Its a bit of a hike up from Brisbane though. You got the atherton tablelands just out from there. plus there is a skyrail out to kuranda and you can catch the train back. you can also go out to the great barrier reef from there

http://www.viator.com/cairns-and-the-tropical-north/d754-ttd?pref=02&aid=g1763

also theres paranella park which i fell in love with
http://www.paronellapark.com.au/

Sorry i can't be more help but i'm sure someone from over east will be on to help soon icon_smile.gif
I'm in western australia, so if you ever come over this way i can help more icon_smile.gif

Mrs-A Posted 17 May 2010 , 12:41am
post #7 of 14

im in sydney so if you have any questions just ask but it depends on what you really want to do/see during your trip

hubby and i are divers so all our hols are scuba trips so i would suggest Bryon Bay (but not during school holidays/easter because its CROWDED and expensive) and once you head towards sydney i suggest Nelson Bay (near Newcastle, about 3hrs north of sydney) of if you want to hit the GBR there are lots of islands ini queensland, just depends on your budget and what you want to do there

and gotta watch out for drop bears.... feral critters that they are icon_wink.gif

Mrs-A Posted 17 May 2010 , 12:42am
post #8 of 14

oh, and i also suggest www.webjet.com.au and www.wotif.com to give you some ideas on travel costs & accomodation

Ursula40 Posted 17 May 2010 , 12:54am
post #9 of 14

Ha, finally found out what they are supposed to be, grin, but if I tell my daughter about them, she won't want to come. They learned about scopions in biology a week before we left for the US and then, when we saw my little brother in Napa, he showed her a pic of 2 scorpions he found in his cabin a week before. I swear, she stayed the night in OUR ROOM!

Mrs-A Posted 17 May 2010 , 2:12am
post #10 of 14
Quote:

Ha, finally found out what they are supposed to be, grin, but if I tell my daughter about them, she won't want to come. .....

australia has the deadliest critters in the world icon_smile.gif

if the snakes and spiders dont get you, then in the water is the cone shells and blue ringed octopus icon_biggrin.gif

Ursula40 Posted 17 May 2010 , 2:19am
post #11 of 14

icon_confused.gif
Someone trying to prevent me from coming or what?

I have to make towers for a castle cake and not trying to google (which is also difficult here) all those weird creatures you guys seem to have icon_wink.gif

Ursula40 Posted 17 May 2010 , 2:24am
post #12 of 14

Ouch, just found the octopus in Wiki, nasty!!!

Hubby and I dive, but our daughter hasn't yet, she would definately refuse to learn that now, if I show her that article. I think we'll stay above ground, 2 weeks isn't enough to learn anyway

Mrs-A Posted 17 May 2010 , 2:34am
post #13 of 14
Quote:

Ouch, just found the octopus in Wiki, nasty!!!

Hubby and I dive, but our daughter hasn't yet, she would definately refuse to learn that now, if I show her that article. I think we'll stay above ground, 2 weeks isn't enough to learn anyway

dont let our critters scare her.... if you dont bother them they leave you alone

i also suggest that you learn to dive in your local area first and then come on over down here to dive. this way you dont waste your vaccay time doing classes & skills and a DM in queensland will make sure you dive safely and come back to the boat. otherwise a discover scuba lesson while here would be good for her, gives her a dive with a DM

Ursula40 Posted 17 May 2010 , 2:42am
post #14 of 14

We will let her learn here in Asia, but not yet. She has time and until she tells us, that she really wants to learn on her own, we won't force her. We'd rather spend the time looking at Australia than diving anyway. Thanks for the links, have saved them to my favourites

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%