Keep The Bottom Of My Cake Boards Clean

Decorating By poohsmomma Updated 16 May 2010 , 2:01am by nancyg

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 16 May 2010 , 1:21am
post #1 of 6

When I ice a 6" tier that I want to place on a 10" tier, I have icing that seeps or gets pushed under the edges of the 6" cake (card)board while I'm frosting and smoothing that cake on my turntable. When I go to place the 6" tier on top of the other, the bottom is messy and slippery.

Does anyone know of a simple trick that I have missed?

Thanks for any advice you might give.

5 replies
Thanksharla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Thanksharla Posted 16 May 2010 , 1:46am
post #2 of 6

First off: Your cakes are AMAZING!!

Second: I'm an amateur hobby caker.

Are you talking about the frosting you put between the cake board and the 6" tier?

Or are you talking about the frosting on the side of the 6" tier?

When I frost the 6" tier that is going on top of the 10" I don't frost all the way down the side of the 6". I leave the cardboard showing. This way I still have something to grip when placing the 6" on top. Then I cover up the cardboard with a buttercream of fondant border.

Hope that makes sense and is of some help.

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 16 May 2010 , 1:50am
post #3 of 6

I watched a very old martha steware episode today with julia childs and she put squares of parchment paper about an inch just under the cake, then pulled them out, i though that was a good idea

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 16 May 2010 , 1:53am
post #4 of 6

Thank you. I'm a hobby baker, too.
I guess I just slather on too much icing because I squoosh it under the board pretty good. Maybe I need to do like you and leave a little space at the bottom. Thanks.

Thanksharla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Thanksharla Posted 16 May 2010 , 1:53am
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninatat

I watched a very old martha steware episode today with julia childs and she put squares of parchment paper about an inch just under the cake, then pulled them out, i though that was a good idea

I totally forgot about that. Martha did an similar episode about a month or so ago.

nancyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancyg Posted 16 May 2010 , 2:01am
post #6 of 6

I think I know what you mean. I do the same thing. But, know I go back before I stack, and scrape the bottom 1/4 inch down to just a little frosting. I do it only high enough up that I know my border will cover it.

But, then it doesnt smoosh on the bottom cake when I stack.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%