Cake Board Foil/coverings?

Decorating By Debi2 Updated 16 May 2010 , 1:17am by Debi2

Debi2 Posted 15 May 2010 , 11:37pm
post #1 of 8

Where does everyone get their nice looking foil coverings I'm seeing on your cakeboards? Are they made specifically for cakes? I know this is a basic question, but the only ones I've been able to find so far are at my Michaels store, and they only have one or two plain/basic ones.


7 replies
mamawrobin Posted 15 May 2010 , 11:41pm
post #2 of 8

I cover my own with Wilton's Fancifoli. (maybe spelled fancyfoil?) Wal-Mart even carries it.
Anyway when I'm needing silver or gold since it comes in both colors. You can't use regular aluminum foil as it will tear with each cut of the cake. icon_lol.gif

BlakesCakes Posted 16 May 2010 , 12:32am
post #3 of 8

The pretty embossed decorative foils you see are actually the kind used for jazzing up flower pots. My local cake deco store actually carries them and I believe CK Products carries a few (

If you use these foils, you MUST have a barrier between the cake and the foil (a cake board the same size as the cake and if large borders or decos that will/may be eaten hang over and touch the foil, then a piece of wax, saran, or parchment under those) because the foils contain LEAD and that can leach into the cake.

There is a line of decorative foils that is OK for food (other than the silver & gold Wilton Fanci-Foils), but, as I recall it was pretty expensive and I no longer have info on them--maybe google???


CWR41 Posted 16 May 2010 , 12:33am
post #4 of 8

It's florist foil, but it isn't foodsafe so be sure that your cake is placed directly on its own cardboard.

Debi2 Posted 16 May 2010 , 12:42am
post #5 of 8

Thanks! I wouldn't have thought to look at florist foil! I appreciate the "food safety" tips as well.


dalis4joe Posted 16 May 2010 , 12:59am
post #6 of 8

I don't understand why they always advice to have something as a barrier... shouldn't we all have a cake board on every cake? I mean... maybe I am missing something here.... I use wrapping paper covered with contact paper... fondant.... I heard of people using tissue paper (the one you use for wrapping gifts) covered with contact paper... but I always have a cake board.... even when the cake drum is covered in fondant....

BlakesCakes Posted 16 May 2010 , 1:07am
post #7 of 8

Yes, a cake should always be on it's own board, the same size as the tier....
but some bakers don't put them on their own board if it's a single tier or a sheet cake--they take the shortcut of decorating on the finished decorative board.

I prefer not to do this because I like the ease of moving the cake in and out of the fridge on the smaller board, among other reasons--not to mention the added support it offers.


Debi2 Posted 16 May 2010 , 1:17am
post #8 of 8

Blakecakes, I"ve always used board under mine even though I've only used reg. aluminum foil. I guess I never thought to do otherwise. I agree...much easier to get in and out of the fridge too! thumbs_up.gif

I agree mamarobin, the reg. foil does tear/cut too easily which is another reason I needed to figure out what other type of foil to use....not to mention, it just isn't as attractive.

There really is alot to learn. I'm getting there slowly but surely, and it definitely helps having all of you helpful members offering your assistance and tips! icon_biggrin.gif


Quote by @%username% on %date%