Left Over White Choc Ganache - Can I Whip It?

Baking By Roxybc Updated 17 May 2010 , 2:31am by mamawrobin

Roxybc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Roxybc Posted 15 May 2010 , 7:38pm
post #1 of 12

I've got some left over white chocolate ganache in the freezer. I was wondering if I could defrost it aqnd some how whip it so it's thicker and fluffier to use either as a cupcake filling or if possible even pipe it on top of a cupcake. Can someone tell me if this is possible, and how to do it?

11 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 15 May 2010 , 7:44pm
post #2 of 12

Just thaw and whip. Should be fine. Don't add any more cream though.

Roxybc Posted 15 May 2010 , 7:47pm
post #3 of 12

Thanks very much. Should I thaw it to room temp, or should I speed up the process by warming it up a bit over a double boiler (not so it's hot, or even warm, but just so it's really soft). How long will it take to whip, and what consistancy will it be?

mamawrobin Posted 15 May 2010 , 8:04pm
post #4 of 12

I would NOT warm it in a double boiler. I'd let it come to room temp. on it's own. thumbs_up.gif What ratio of chocolate to cream did you use?

Roxybc Posted 15 May 2010 , 8:10pm
post #5 of 12

I used this recipe http://cakecentral.com/recipes/2116/chocolate-ganache-1

240 ml cream
455 g white chocolate
1 oz sugar

The recipe also called for a tbs of butter, which was optional to make it shiny, but I can't remember if I used the butter or not. It's been in my freezer for about a month now.

mamawrobin Posted 15 May 2010 , 8:20pm
post #6 of 12

I'm not sure but maybe you could warm it in the microwave in 15 second intervals if your in a hurry. If you have time to wait I would let it thaw at room tempature.

Roxybc Posted 15 May 2010 , 9:40pm
post #7 of 12

Thanks very much for your help/ I've whipped it up and it tastes delicious! One last question though - my ganache is a bit grainy. Is it supposed to be like that? It's my first batch of white chocolate ganache I've ever made, so I have no idea. It's always been a bit grainy, so it's not a result of freezing or anything.

mamawrobin Posted 15 May 2010 , 11:37pm
post #8 of 12

What kind of white chocolate did you use?

Roxybc Posted 16 May 2010 , 6:58pm
post #9 of 12

I used a white chocolate from the grocery store. I live in the UK, so our choc is generally better quality here. I bought a good bar of white choc from the baking isle. The package said I could use it for ganaches and mouses. It probably isn't the best belgian quality or anything, but I thought it was ok. The choc seems to get grainier each time I bring it back to room temp, or warm it up slightly.

mamawrobin Posted 16 May 2010 , 7:03pm
post #10 of 12

Hi Roxybc, the reason I asked is that I've made it with Hershey's chocolate chips and it was grainy. I looked on the package only to find out it's not really chocolate. icon_lol.gif It was good just grainy.

I use the Baker's white chocolate which is probably much like what you used. However when I use it my ganache isn't grainy.

icon_confused.gif ?? I don't know. Maybe someone will have your answer. Sorry.

Roxybc Posted 17 May 2010 , 12:03am
post #11 of 12

Ooh one other ganache question - can I use whipping cream in place of the heavy cream?

mamawrobin Posted 17 May 2010 , 2:31am
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxybc

Ooh one other ganache question - can I use whipping cream in place of the heavy cream?

Not sure. I always use heavy whipping cream.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%