How Do I?

Decorating By ysevilla Updated 17 May 2010 , 5:15pm by wakemaven

ysevilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ysevilla Posted 15 May 2010 , 4:11pm
post #1 of 8

I know a little bit about stacking cakes using dowel, but how will I stack the top cake(fondant) without the dowel being seen?

7 replies
Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 15 May 2010 , 4:18pm
post #2 of 8

The very top cake doesn't need dowel because it doesn't hold any weight.

ysevilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ysevilla Posted 15 May 2010 , 5:20pm
post #3 of 8

thank you so much!!!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 15 May 2010 , 5:42pm
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballymena

The very top cake doesn't need dowel because it doesn't hold any weight.

That's it. thumbs_up.gif

wakemaven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wakemaven Posted 16 May 2010 , 5:34am
post #5 of 8

What about the larger center dowel that I see some putting through all tiers.

Example: When I do a 4 tiered cake I use dowels (aprox 4") on tiers 2-4, to support the layer being set on top. However I see some on the internet use a larger center dowel that goes from layer 2 all the way through 4.

My question: Do they put a hole in the center of their cake boards prior to crumb coating? Or can that dowel really be driven through the boards without distrupting the stacked tiers?

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 16 May 2010 , 5:48am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakemaven

What about the larger center dowel that I see some putting through all tiers.

Example: When I do a 4 tiered cake I use dowels (aprox 4") on tiers 2-4, to support the layer being set on top. However I see some on the internet use a larger center dowel that goes from layer 2 all the way through 4.

My question: Do they put a hole in the center of their cake boards prior to crumb coating? Or can that dowel really be driven through the boards without distrupting the stacked tiers?

I use foam core boards for each teir and on the bottom board and the sharpened dowel will go through all the boards without making a hole prior to stacking. so the dowel will go all the way through to the bottom.

andreamen1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andreamen1 Posted 16 May 2010 , 5:50am
post #7 of 8

at micheals the have really long dowels in the craft section all yuo do is put it next to your cake and cut it about 2in shorter and then sharpen with pencil shapner(new of course) and then stick it in the middle and with a hammer or something bang that sucker in and when u hit the last tier stop and the with anther dowel or your finger you can push it in all the way.

wakemaven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wakemaven Posted 17 May 2010 , 5:15pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks so much! That makes total sense. I'm going to drive the long dowel through the center on my next big cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%