(Cricut Alert !!!) Some Of You May Have Already Seen This ..

Decorating By tony_sopranos_ebony_girl Updated 23 May 2010 , 9:17am by tony_sopranos_ebony_girl

tony_sopranos_ebony_girl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tony_sopranos_ebony_girl Posted 15 May 2010 , 2:43pm
post #1 of 40

already but for those who haven't check this out !!!

Can't wait to try it just got my Cricut Tuesday and can't wait !!!

39 replies
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 15 May 2010 , 3:07pm
post #2 of 40

Cool Thanks! I can't wait to try it!

tony_sopranos_ebony_girl Posted 15 May 2010 , 3:58pm
post #3 of 40

thumbs_up.gif No problem SpecialtyCakesbyKelli
u r so welcome !!!

Kima920 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kima920 Posted 16 May 2010 , 12:04am
post #4 of 40

OMG! Sugarveil looks great! I just wish it was cheaper.

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 16 May 2010 , 1:11am
post #5 of 40

WOW...u just reminded me that I had ordered a bag of sugar veil.... will try it on the cricut cake now!!! kewl!

AXOCutie143 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AXOCutie143 Posted 16 May 2010 , 2:09am
post #6 of 40

I had never even HEARD of SugarVeil...I need to get some of this to try with my new Cricut Cake!

emilyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emilyg Posted 17 May 2010 , 5:28pm
post #7 of 40

Here are the instructions for using SugarVeil with the cricut Cake: http://www.facebook.com/pages/.....56&ref=sgm There's also a SugarVeil tutorial with photos at the cricut.com website forum.

The easiest way to learn SugarVeil as a beginner is with the "Starter Kit", which contains a 45 min DVD showing all types of techniques you can do with SugarVeil, the Confectionery Comb designed for the DVD techniques, and a 1 lb bag of SugarVeil. If you order the Starter Kit at http://www.sugarveil.com and would like to use SugarVeil with electronic cutters, include the 12" long Confectioners' Spreader to your order and it will qualify for free shipping. Be sure to write "FREE MAT" in the comments section of your order so we will send you a cut-to-fit mat, too.

SugarVeil goes a surprisingly long way, too. One pound will make about 25 sheets for electronic cutters on our cut-to-fit mat, which works out to be something around 70 cents/sheet (57 cents per sheet if you have the 5 lb. SugarVeil pail).

Thanks much,

Michele at SugarVeil

bmoser24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmoser24 Posted 17 May 2010 , 10:41pm
post #8 of 40

Will this work with any electric cutter?? Or only food cutters?

bmoser24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmoser24 Posted 17 May 2010 , 10:47pm
post #9 of 40

Will this work with any electric cutter?? Or only food cutters?

HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 17 May 2010 , 11:07pm
post #10 of 40

I was wondering the same thing, but just never asked. I was thinking about purchasing a S l i c e Machine to start out with. The Cricuts are a little out my range right now to just practice on. TIA
Hammy

emilyg Posted 17 May 2010 , 11:34pm
post #11 of 40

SugarVeil can be cut with any electronic or non-electronic cutter, whether they are intended for cutting food or not. Paper punches and decorative scissors can be used to cut SugarVeil, too.

Here's a video that shows using just a very simple circle punch to cut SugarVeil: http://www.youtube.com/sugarveil#p/u/2/SOCnJlhLcJ8

Michele at SugarVeil

neelycharmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neelycharmed Posted 17 May 2010 , 11:51pm
post #12 of 40

thanks for posting!
My cricut cake will be here on Wednesday, I can't wait!
icon_smile.gif Jodi

HamSquad Posted 18 May 2010 , 12:01am
post #13 of 40

Thanks Michele, now I will venture out and explore Sugar Veil with the Slice, Yahooooooo! thumbs_up.gif
Hammy

auntiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiecake Posted 18 May 2010 , 12:43am
post #14 of 40

Awesome and much cheaper than the frosting sheets I believe. They are $14.99 to 17.99 depending where you get them. Not sure how many in a pk, but I think only about 6. They taste awful and dry out and then don't work well. This is a great alternative.

BORIKS03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BORIKS03 Posted 18 May 2010 , 1:23am
post #15 of 40

I'm wondering what it's made of? I'm assuming sugar but with what else?

auntiecake Posted 18 May 2010 , 1:42am
post #16 of 40

Go on the website and check it out, but I remember it said no gluten. I don't remember what else. It says it has a pleasant taste, not overly sweet. I got a small packet a while back so I will have to try it out. It probably won't make much. A 1# package makes 27 sq ft of fabric. It gives you a lot of info and the starting kit is around $50.00.

Djor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Djor Posted 18 May 2010 , 2:18am
post #17 of 40

thanks thumbs_up.gif

tony_sopranos_ebony_girl Posted 18 May 2010 , 5:35pm
post #18 of 40

HamSquad Just so you know I had emailed Slice customer service before seeing the sugarveil tutorial and asked about the gumpaste and they said no go not to do it ...

neelycharmed thumbs_up.gif No problem hope it helps !!!

emilyg Posted 18 May 2010 , 6:20pm
post #19 of 40

Good point, Tony. I should have said in my post above that SugarVeil has the ability to be cut with electronic or non-electronic cutters. We used a Wishblade in the youtube video, and have used many other electronic cutters with success since then (haven't tried the Slice), but obviously with the advent of all the new machines out there, it's ultimately the manufacturer's call to comment upon what particular applications are recommended or not for their machines, the food safety issues, etc.

Thanks for bringing up that point,

Michele at SugarVeil

ArtieTs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ArtieTs Posted 18 May 2010 , 6:33pm
post #20 of 40

OMG!!! I just watched a few videos with Sugarveil and I'm sold. I gotta order some ASAP. It looks like a much better option for me than trying to use gumpaste. I guess now I can attempt to use my $349 paper weight. I could kick myself everytime I look at it. Wish me luck CC or the paper weight goes on Craigslist. LOL! icon_biggrin.gif

cohen1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cohen1 Posted 18 May 2010 , 6:56pm
post #21 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtieTs

OMG!!! I just watched a few videos with Sugarveil and I'm sold. I gotta order some ASAP. It looks like a much better option for me than trying to use gumpaste. I guess now I can attempt to use my $349 paper weight. I could kick myself everytime I look at it. Wish me luck CC or the paper weight goes on Craigslist. LOL! icon_biggrin.gif

If you have not already tried it, try the wilton fondant. Not my first choice of fondants but it works really, really well. I tried satin ice fondant, gumpaste and something else with no luck at all. But the wilton fondant worked wonderfully.

auntiecake Posted 18 May 2010 , 7:45pm
post #22 of 40

Don't give up yet! I have had a lot of success, but it does work better to use gumpaste or tylose.

buttercuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buttercuppie Posted 18 May 2010 , 8:02pm
post #23 of 40

Michele...I have a quick question. How does sugar veil handle moisture. I have some and haven't worked with it yet but if I use it on buttercream or put it in the fridge (humidity?)...how much will it be effected?

TIA!

tony_sopranos_ebony_girl Posted 18 May 2010 , 8:08pm
post #24 of 40

icon_wink.gif No problem emilyg

HamSquad Posted 18 May 2010 , 11:06pm
post #25 of 40

[quote="tony_sopranos_ebony_girl"]HamSquad Just so you know I had emailed Slice customer service before seeing the sugarveil tutorial and asked about the gumpaste and they said no go not to do it ...

Thanks for the Info. I was wondering if it would work with Sugar Veil since it was much thinner. I have been watching the Youtube demo. You are right I was thinking of experimenting with thinned fondant, I don't work well with gumpaste for some reason. I need to find a good recipe. Most of my is done in fondant(LOL) icon_redface.gif Thanks for the info from Sugar Veil also.
As always, Happy Caking!
Hammy

emilyg Posted 18 May 2010 , 11:29pm
post #26 of 40

Buttercuppie, you can put SugarVeil decorations on any surface - ganache, buttercream, fondant, whipped icing, etc. As for refrigeration, if the SugarVeil is directly on the cake, refrigerating (and even freezing) is no problem. You can even use decorations on a whipped cream cake. If you have any 3-D SugarVeil decorations, like a bow, most bakers will wait until delivery to add those.

If you are in a humid climate, there are some tips using SugarVeil in humid areas that would be helpful information - they are too long for a post, but I'll put them up in the next weeks on the "Notes" tab of the SugarVeil Facebook page (right now the Electronic Cutter instructions are there). If you sign up as a fan you'll be automatically notified when they are posted - here's the address: http://www.facebook.com/friends/?ref=tn#!/pages/SugarVeil-Icing/58910664892?ref=sgm

One of the tips, for example, is to paint the inside of the SugarVeil bow with a finger smear of white chocolate. Another tip: Julie Bashore, who teaches SugarVeil, uses edible spray lacquer on her SugarVeil decorations for dummy cakes, and they stay amazingly flexible (and sealed) for months. [Great instructor, by the way - she's at http://www.cakedecoratingandconfectioneryclasses.com].

Thank you for the question, and I'll get those notes posted soon.

Michele at SugarVeil

buttercuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buttercuppie Posted 19 May 2010 , 12:20am
post #27 of 40

Thanks Michele!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Jewelsx19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jewelsx19 Posted 19 May 2010 , 12:39am
post #28 of 40

This might have been asked before (and might even sound stupid) but can you use this with the regular Cricut machine?? (not the cake one!)
I have a Cricut personal, and I do cakes occasionally...so to buy a Cricut cake is just not worth it to me.

emilyg Posted 19 May 2010 , 1:28pm
post #29 of 40

Jewels, we've used SugarVeil in both the Cricut (deep cut blade - instructions in the Facebook notes address above) as well as the Cricut Cake with success.

Michele at SugarVeil

tony_sopranos_ebony_girl Posted 19 May 2010 , 11:09pm
post #30 of 40

icon_lol.gif HamSquad
You know as far as the slice goes ... mmmm maybe because it seems to be more material/paper like where as gumpaste is well gummy icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%