Bake/freeze/thaw/stack/freeze/carve?? So Confused, Help

Decorating By rltmeng Updated 19 Jun 2016 , 2:39am by Juli2527

rltmeng Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rltmeng Posted 15 May 2010 , 1:32pm
post #1 of 15

I have been asked to do a fire truck for a wedding, I have never done anything like this, I read that it is best to carve a 3D cake while frozen. So would you:
1. bake
2. freeze
3. thaw
4. stack
5. freeze
6. carve
7. freeze until ready to cover.

Am I even close on any of this? Any advice would be really apreciated. Also any advice on making a fire truck, I am rather nervous about doing it. I don't want to say yes until I am sure I can do it. Thanks icon_smile.gif

Lisa

14 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 15 May 2010 , 1:38pm
post #2 of 15

I would bake, fill (wouldn't use any filling besides ganache or buttercream) wrap in plastic wrap and freeze. After it's frozen then I'd carve it. After carving crumbcoat and allow to settle 12-24 hours before applying fondant. You should never cover a frozen cake with fondant so I don't see any need to freeze it AFTER you've crumbcoated.

rltmeng Posted 15 May 2010 , 1:44pm
post #3 of 15

Thank you mamawrobin. I really appreciate your advice. So if I wanted to do it say a week in advance, is it possible to crumcoat and refreeze, or is that just too much freezing/thawing.

mamawrobin Posted 15 May 2010 , 1:56pm
post #4 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by rltmeng

Thank you mamawrobin. I really appreciate your advice. So if I wanted to do it say a week in advance, is it possible to crumcoat and refreeze, or is that just too much freezing/thawing.

You're welcome. I'm not sure about refreezing. I've never done that. Maybe someone that has will answer that for you. Why not just keep it frozen until you're ready to actully do the cake. You can keep it frozen after filling until you're ready to decorate.

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 15 May 2010 , 1:59pm
post #5 of 15

I freeze all of my cakes after baking...locks in moisture. Then I would fill and stack. I like cold cakes to carve...not frozen. I've never had luck carving a frozen cake. Cover in fondant, decorate and refrigerate until delivery.

rltmeng Posted 15 May 2010 , 2:03pm
post #6 of 15

Thank you for the advice. thumbs_up.gif

mamawrobin Posted 15 May 2010 , 2:09pm
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyonzlake

I freeze all of my cakes after baking...locks in moisture. Then I would fill and stack. I like cold cakes to carve...not frozen. I've never had luck carving a frozen cake. Cover in fondant, decorate and refrigerate until delivery.

I freeze all of my cakes after bakiing as well. I agree that it locks in the moisture. I don't carve a frozen cake either. After reading my first post I realize that I didn't say that I wait for it to thaw before I carve. I do like for it to be cold but NOT frozen.

I also want to add that you need a dense cake for this as well. The receipe that I use for carved cakes is the Durable Wedding/3D Cake receipe found in the "most saved" receipes here on cc. You can't carve just any cake. Some will fall apart on you so make sure you use a receipe that will be "carve" friendly icon_lol.gif

rltmeng Posted 15 May 2010 , 2:13pm
post #8 of 15

Thanks mamawrobin, you are always so helpful. Thanks also ladyonzlake.

mamawrobin Posted 15 May 2010 , 2:14pm
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyonzlake

Where are you located? I don't know what your climate is like but I can't refrigerate my cakes or I'd have a mess. The only times I've had any issues with any of my cakes is when I put them in the fridge. If you're not using a perishable filling (and since it's a carved cake it's best not to) I wouldn't refrigerate.

rltmeng Posted 15 May 2010 , 2:17pm
post #10 of 15

I am in central Ontario, so heat is not a factor for me.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 15 May 2010 , 2:44pm
post #11 of 15

I don't freeze anything, so you don't HAVE to do that. I also don't carve anything frozen, so you don't have to do that, either. For a firetruck you're not going to have any really weird curves to cut, or any odd shapes, so it might be more trouble than it's wroth to freeze the cake.

amarieholley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amarieholley Posted 16 May 2010 , 2:36am
post #12 of 15

So I have never carved a cake, but I always freeze them no matter what the situation even if it ends up being for just a day. It really seems to lock in in the moisture and I always get compliments on my cakes being moist. This also is a time saver since you can bake ahead of time.

lam159 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lam159 Posted 17 May 2010 , 11:10am
post #13 of 15

Hi everyone!

I know this thread is really old, but it actually answered a question(s) I have about freezing a cake. So I can freeze it after baking it...I got that, but, if it is going to be a double layer, then I should ice in between the layers only then freeze it or do I need to ice the whole thing then freeze it? I am making my daughter's graduation cake (the aqaurium cake), along with a good bit of the food and I am trying to save some time. what if it is only a single layer cake..do I just freeze as is? I also have another question...gee there's a shocker! lol I am going to make the sharks from rice krispy treats and cover them with fondant...how long in advance can I make them and how would I store them? Her party is June 5th.

Thanks to all in advance!!!

lam159 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lam159 Posted 17 May 2010 , 11:22am
post #14 of 15

Allow me to correct myself...I was loooking at the wrong date!!!! This thread is not old!!! Sorry!! : )

Juli2527 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juli2527 Posted 19 Jun 2016 , 2:39am
post #15 of 15

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%