The Topsy Didn't Quite Fit Into The Turvy! Dang!

Decorating By confectionsofahousewife Updated 16 May 2010 , 7:41pm by confectionsofahousewife

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 15 May 2010 , 1:05pm
post #1 of 11

So I am in the process of making my first topsy turvy cake. Just two tiers. I was doing really well! I carved the two tiers and I thought their shapes looked great. I cut the hole out of the bottom cake. I iced the cakes in buttercream and they looked really good. Unfortunately, when I cut the hole in the bottom cake for the top cake to sit it, I didn't take the girth of the cake plus th eicing. It didn't really want to go down into its hole! Its kind of funny but I'm annoyed because everything was looking so good. After I put the top cake on, I couldn't really take it off again to fix the hole. It got worse when I tried to put the central dowel in and it kind of squished the top cake down and then I got a couple of cracks in the icing of the bottom cake. I have it in the fridge to hopefully prevent any more settling of the cake but am definitely worried about transporting it later. JUst had to vent this to people who would understand. Thanks!

10 replies
dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 15 May 2010 , 1:16pm
post #2 of 11

sorry you are going through this..... hopefully after some fridge time.. it will be easier to fix any structural issues with it....

icon_smile.gif

ajmccray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajmccray Posted 15 May 2010 , 6:55pm
post #3 of 11

I did the exact same thing with my topsy turvy. I couldn't believe I forgot to take the icing into consideration. I refrigerated it overnight and delivered it the next day with no problems. Good luck!

ebredhawk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ebredhawk Posted 15 May 2010 , 7:25pm
post #4 of 11

definitely a mistake you won't make twice.. i'm glad you have such a good attitude about it though! if you need to fix the cracks on the bottom tier, a hot spatula will do the trick!!

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 15 May 2010 , 7:46pm
post #5 of 11

I've made that mistake....twice. The icing really does take up significant space.

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 15 May 2010 , 8:35pm
post #6 of 11

came back to see if there are any updates... hope all went well...

SharonK1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SharonK1973 Posted 15 May 2010 , 8:56pm
post #7 of 11

I usually draw a circle with an edible marker on the bottom tier that's the size of the bottom of the top tier. Then I cut outside of that circle to make enough space for the tope tier. More confusing to write than do!

joyfullysweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joyfullysweet Posted 15 May 2010 , 9:07pm
post #8 of 11

I actually covered my cake in fondant before I cut the hole out (I saw it done on Cake Boss...teehee). Worked beautifully!

confectionsofahousewife Posted 16 May 2010 , 1:10pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonK1973

I usually draw a circle with an edible marker on the bottom tier that's the size of the bottom of the top tier. Then I cut outside of that circle to make enough space for the tope tier. More confusing to write than do!

That's exctly what I did! I just didn't cut quite far enough away from the circle! I used the pan that I baked in as a guide. I can't believe that I didn't take the icing into account either! What a dummy! It made it to delivery just fine. I was nervous because I had to drive my husband downtown (20 minutes on bumpy roads) and then across town another 20 minutes to deliver the cake. Had the cake been fondant covered I think I could have pulled the top tier off and fixed the hole but I figured I would make more of a mess of it if I tried to pull off a buttercream covered tier. Thanks for the sympathy! I'll post the picture in my gallery shortly.

confectionsofahousewife Posted 16 May 2010 , 1:23pm
post #10 of 11

Apparently I'm not going to post photos as it says the photo is too small! I read a post about this the other day. What is the deal?

confectionsofahousewife Posted 16 May 2010 , 7:41pm
post #11 of 11

Alright, if anyone cares I finally got the pic uploaded!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%