Cake Topper Won't Sit Level!

Decorating By The_Sugar_Fairy Updated 15 May 2010 , 11:22pm by The_Sugar_Fairy

The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 15 May 2010 , 12:50pm
post #1 of 8

Now I can't get the cake topper to sit level on top of the cake. I guess the fondant is a little bit rounded. The topper isn't really heavy enough to push it down. What should I do? Put royal icing underneath? Just push it into the fondant? Please please help!!!

7 replies
Justbeck101 Posted 15 May 2010 , 1:08pm
post #2 of 8

can you post a picture of the cake?

DianeLM Posted 15 May 2010 , 1:29pm
post #3 of 8

Is the fondant rounded because there is air underneath? If so, you can poke a hole in it and gently press to release the air. Don't press too hard or the fondant may crack. The topper will cover the hole.

mamawrobin Posted 15 May 2010 , 2:03pm
post #4 of 8
Originally Posted by Justbeck101

can you post a picture of the cake?

I agree. It would help to see a photo of your cake.

The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 15 May 2010 , 3:46pm
post #5 of 8

I've tried and tried to post a photo, but it won't work.

The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 15 May 2010 , 4:18pm
post #6 of 8

I so wish I could post a pic of the cake and/or the topper, but for some reason it won't work. Anyway, you guys are the best! I think it was air trapped under the fondant. I made a small hole with a pin and pressed on it and it did go down a bit. It cracked the fondant a little though, but the topper will probably cover that too. Thanks!

Why can't I get the fondant on the cake without air under it though? The first two tiers, I iced in bc then covered with fondant - after the fondant dried, it didn't seem to stick to the cake as much as I'd like. The third (top) tier, I sprayed with a bit of water (because I thought maybe the bc was crusting too quickly or something) - the fondant seemed to stick better, but there was lots of air bubbles! I can't win! Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

DianeLM Posted 15 May 2010 , 4:26pm
post #7 of 8

I have trouble with trapped air, too. I think it's because I'm so anxious to seal the top edge before it cracks, I may not work all the air out.

Also, I like to chill my cakes after applying spackle or crumb coat. When they first come out of the freezer, they're not sticky. That allows me a couple of extra minutes to manipulate the fondant before condensation forms and causes the fondant to stick. Unfortunately, that's probably how I wind up with air under the top.

The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 15 May 2010 , 11:22pm
post #8 of 8

Well, the cake is done and at the venue! Yay! The picture is in my photos if you'd like to have a look. It's the pink and fucshia wedding cake with polka dots and a bow. It has a groom topper and a sign saying the bride is "still shopping". Thanks for all your help everyone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%