Cake Topper Won't Sit Level!

Decorating By The_Sugar_Fairy Updated 15 May 2010 , 11:22pm by The_Sugar_Fairy

The_Sugar_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 15 May 2010 , 12:50pm
post #1 of 8

Now I can't get the cake topper to sit level on top of the cake. I guess the fondant is a little bit rounded. The topper isn't really heavy enough to push it down. What should I do? Put royal icing underneath? Just push it into the fondant? Please please help!!!

7 replies
Justbeck101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justbeck101 Posted 15 May 2010 , 1:08pm
post #2 of 8

can you post a picture of the cake?

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 15 May 2010 , 1:29pm
post #3 of 8

Is the fondant rounded because there is air underneath? If so, you can poke a hole in it and gently press to release the air. Don't press too hard or the fondant may crack. The topper will cover the hole.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 15 May 2010 , 2:03pm
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justbeck101

can you post a picture of the cake?

I agree. It would help to see a photo of your cake.

The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 15 May 2010 , 3:46pm
post #5 of 8

I've tried and tried to post a photo, but it won't work.
LL

The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 15 May 2010 , 4:18pm
post #6 of 8

I so wish I could post a pic of the cake and/or the topper, but for some reason it won't work. Anyway, you guys are the best! I think it was air trapped under the fondant. I made a small hole with a pin and pressed on it and it did go down a bit. It cracked the fondant a little though, but the topper will probably cover that too. Thanks!

Why can't I get the fondant on the cake without air under it though? The first two tiers, I iced in bc then covered with fondant - after the fondant dried, it didn't seem to stick to the cake as much as I'd like. The third (top) tier, I sprayed with a bit of water (because I thought maybe the bc was crusting too quickly or something) - the fondant seemed to stick better, but there was lots of air bubbles! I can't win! Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 15 May 2010 , 4:26pm
post #7 of 8

I have trouble with trapped air, too. I think it's because I'm so anxious to seal the top edge before it cracks, I may not work all the air out.

Also, I like to chill my cakes after applying spackle or crumb coat. When they first come out of the freezer, they're not sticky. That allows me a couple of extra minutes to manipulate the fondant before condensation forms and causes the fondant to stick. Unfortunately, that's probably how I wind up with air under the top.

The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 15 May 2010 , 11:22pm
post #8 of 8

Well, the cake is done and at the venue! Yay! The picture is in my photos if you'd like to have a look. It's the pink and fucshia wedding cake with polka dots and a bow. It has a groom topper and a sign saying the bride is "still shopping". Thanks for all your help everyone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%