Delivery And Setup Charge

Business By KateyCake Updated 17 May 2010 , 12:09am by sari66

KateyCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KateyCake Posted 15 May 2010 , 9:18am
post #1 of 7

I am making and delivering a wedding cake to San Juan Capistrano which is about 30 miles away. It's just a small cake with 50 servings. How much would be a fair delivery and setup charge? If the client chooses to pick up the cake, should I assemble it complete with borders on the second tier and let her figure out how to transport without messing it up?

6 replies
pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 15 May 2010 , 10:35am
post #2 of 7

I charge $1 a mile and that includes setup (which is usually just putting the cake on the table, I rarely stack on site). If they pick up, the cake should be complete but they are responsible once it leaves my shop. I tell them how to transport safely but also warn them of the risk they are incurring by transporting themselves.

muddpuppy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
muddpuppy Posted 15 May 2010 , 11:48am
post #3 of 7

I have a claus in my contract that states if they pick it up it's thier problem.. but I do try my best to keep the decorations they can put on themselves separate to minimize the risk of damage...

itsacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsacake Posted 15 May 2010 , 8:59pm
post #4 of 7

How long will it take you and how much do you want to make for your time?

Plus the going rate from the IRS for gas and wear and tear on the car is something like $0.50/mile.

So 30 miles x 2 (both directions) is 60 miles x $.50 is $30.00
plus an hour and a half of your time ($15.00 at $10.00 an hour or $30.00 at $20.00 an hour. )
So $45.00 - $60.00 for delivery, unless you already charged enough for the cake to deal with it-- I would probably have just charged enough for the cake to include delivery.

If you use the single plate support system (SPS) by Bakery Craft you can assemble and give it to your client without worry. Leah_s has instructions posted in a sticky.

KateyCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KateyCake Posted 16 May 2010 , 7:43pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks so much these are all very helpful info. Now I can explain to my client how I came up with the delivery and set up charge icon_smile.gif Thanks again!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 May 2010 , 9:23pm
post #6 of 7

The "going rate" from the IRS is *NOT* the same thing as a delivery and set up fee.

The "going rate" from the IRS is just what you are allowed to recoup on your taxes toward your business expenses. It it suppose to cover gas and vehicle expenses (which it doesn't even come close). It does NOT cover payroll for the vehicle driver (you or whoever); it does NOT cover lost opportunity costs (what you could make while baking a cake in your kitchen instead of being in your delivery van).

My delivery rate for outside my free deliver area was $1.25 per ROUND TRIP mile (the delivery driver doesn't clock out when the cake is delivery ... the delivery drive is still on the timeclock during the drive BACK to the shop). So a 30 mile trip is 60 miles x 1.25 = $75 delivery fee.

And I dont' deliver small cakes that only serve 50 people. That's a no-brainer that they can do themselves. If they don't want to do it, then they are definitely PAYING for the service to have it delivered.

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 17 May 2010 , 12:09am
post #7 of 7

I personally wouldn't deliver a cake that small. All of mine are for 100 servings or more.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%