Cake Decorating

Decorating By iluvpeeks Updated 18 May 2010 , 2:18am by iluvpeeks

iluvpeeks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iluvpeeks Posted 15 May 2010 , 7:41am
post #1 of 18

Hi everyone
Any suggestions for the best tasting (not gritty) chocolate buttercream that will crust, and can also be used as the filling?

17 replies
Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 15 May 2010 , 8:12am
post #2 of 18

We have created our own 100% butter buttercream recipe following the Wilton formula. Just replaced the shortening with butter. After it's been whipped, we add in melted milk chocolate. It tastes like a malted milk shake. If we want a darker color, then we add dark chocolate.

Paul

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 15 May 2010 , 1:50pm
post #3 of 18

I can't use all butter buttercream about 9 months out of the year due to our climate. It's hot and humid here icon_lol.gif

I use Indydebi's receipe and add 3/4 cup of melted chocolate (cooled but still pourable). It crust beautifully and is never "gritty". I do make a couple of changes to her receipe. I beat my shortening for 15 minutes before adding any other ingredients and I warm the half and half (milk) before adding.

I also have to add a little extra liquid (I use half and half) when I add the chocolate. I just add a little at a time until I "get it right."

iluvpeeks Posted 15 May 2010 , 4:45pm
post #4 of 18

Hi
Thanks for the replies. They both sound great. One question though. What kind on chocolate should I use. Can I use Hershey's Milk chocolate
chips? Also, if I can use them, in what amount? What about adding Hershey's cocoa powder? I am making a cake for my sisters birthday tomorrow, and she requested a white cake w/chocolate frosting, so I am making the wasc cake, replacing the almond extract with butter extract. I would guess that either suggestions would be good as the filling? Thanks alot.

mamawrobin Posted 15 May 2010 , 5:47pm
post #5 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvpeeks

Hi
Thanks for the replies. They both sound great. One question though. What kind on chocolate should I use. Can I use Hershey's Milk chocolate
chips? Also, if I can use them, in what amount? What about adding Hershey's cocoa powder? I am making a cake for my sisters birthday tomorrow, and she requested a white cake w/chocolate frosting, so I am making the wasc cake, replacing the almond extract with butter extract. I would guess that either suggestions would be good as the filling? Thanks alot.

Yes you can use Hershey's. I've actually added the Hershey's syrup (the one in the can). You don't have to melt anything. If you do use chocolate chips I use 1 cup (measured before melting) and like I said you'll have to add a little milk when you add chocolate. I'd add a tiny bit at a time until I had the consisteny that I needed. I don't like using cocoa powder. I prefer the results of the melted chocolate or the chocolate syrup. Like I said if you use the syrup use the kind that comes in a can. It's more concentrated than the chocolate syrup in the squeeze bottle.

iluvpeeks Posted 15 May 2010 , 6:53pm
post #6 of 18

Thanks Mama
I truly appreciate your input. I am very new to cake decorating. Now if you could steer me in the right direction. The cake is for my sisters birthday tomorrow. I made the wasc minus the almond, but added butter flavor. (they smell so good) I made two 8" rounds. I am going to torte the cakes, and fill them with chocolate as well. She's a semi-sweet chocolate freak, but also loves milk chocolate. Any ideas for the filling. I'll do the regular chocolate icing on the outside. Sorry I am asking so many questions. Thanks

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 16 May 2010 , 12:25am
post #7 of 18

Since you don't have much time, just use the same icing for the outside as the filling.

Kima920 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kima920 Posted 16 May 2010 , 1:27am
post #8 of 18

I also used melted chocolate in my buttercream as well and do 1/2 butter and 1/2 shortening. I also use half and half. I also add cream cheese for a smoother flavor sometimes depending on the customer. I will also mix cocoa powder and melted chocolate.. its great for those who love the super chocolate flavor.

iluvpeeks Posted 16 May 2010 , 4:38am
post #9 of 18

Thanks everyone. I made a whipped chocolate ganache, but chickened out
as far as using it in between layers. I will stick with chocolate buttercream inside and out. I guess this is how you learn? Thank you everyone.

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 16 May 2010 , 4:53am
post #10 of 18

thankyou, these recpies cam e abit late for me, spent all of friday attempting to get a really chocolatey b/c with cocoa powder and even choc topping, and ended up with a taste of nothingness. =( but now i know for next time. =) ta!

denetteb Posted 16 May 2010 , 3:12pm
post #11 of 18

Glad you got it done, you can always play with the new recipes when you have more time before the next cake.

iluvpeeks Posted 17 May 2010 , 4:42am
post #12 of 18

Hi everyone
Just wanted to let you know that I got the cake done, and it was a big hit.
Absolutely delicious!
Mama.. I used Indydebs recipe, and added the Hersheys milk chocolate morsels, but also added some Ghiardelli's semi sweet chocolate, and some extra warmed half & half. It spread easily, crusted nicely. I also filled in
between the layers. Nice chocolate flavor. My sister loved it, as did everyone else. My decorating leaves much to be desired, but I did decorate it with my cricut cake, and it looked really nice.
Thanks again

mamawrobin Posted 17 May 2010 , 5:19am
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvpeeks

Hi everyone
Just wanted to let you know that I got the cake done, and it was a big hit.
Absolutely delicious!
Mama.. I used Indydebs recipe, and added the Hersheys milk chocolate morsels, but also added some Ghiardelli's semi sweet chocolate, and some extra warmed half & half. It spread easily, crusted nicely. I also filled in
between the layers. Nice chocolate flavor. My sister loved it, as did everyone else. My decorating leaves much to be desired, but I did decorate it with my cake, and it looked really nice.
Thanks again

Your cake sounds delicious thumbs_up.gif . Making a great tasting cake should be the main objective. Making it look pretty is just "icing on the cake" icon_lol.gif
I'm sure yours was both yummy and pretty.

iluvpeeks Posted 17 May 2010 , 5:14pm
post #14 of 18

Thanks again Mama
I am really enjoying this new hobby of mine. I was disabled 4 years ago in a rear end auto accident, while working as a home care nurse going to patients homes that were either hospice patients, or homebound. I loved my work. Anyway, I have always enjoyed doing "crafty" things. Knitting, crocheting, painting, scrapbooking, cooking. I never thought I would enjoy this so much. I have plenty of time on my hands, and this is a great outlet for me. I am learning quite a bit just by what I can be taught online, but cc.com is fantastic, and I can't believe how many nice, and talented people are here! Seems like you can count on someone to come to your "cake rescue" at any given time. I guess I shoud start posting pictures for some input. Anyway thanks again and have a great day!
Kathy

denetteb Posted 17 May 2010 , 5:23pm
post #15 of 18

Glad you are enjoying the new hobby, it is really rewarding.

iluvpeeks Posted 17 May 2010 , 11:02pm
post #16 of 18

Thanks denetteb
I'm glad too. Only how do you stop taste testing? lol

denetteb Posted 17 May 2010 , 11:45pm
post #17 of 18

I struggle with eating too much frosting too. I am not tempted while I am decorating, don't want to lick or taste what other people will be eating. But the ends of the bags or little containers that are in the fridge or freezer for the future.....I hate to admit how many of those little containers get eaten with a spoon by me.

iluvpeeks Posted 18 May 2010 , 2:18am
post #18 of 18

Considering I'm new to this, I take a spoonful out, give it a taste (so as not to make anyone sick lol) good excuse to sample! Too bad that the recipes I'm coming across are so delicious. I made IMBC, and thank goodness I didn't have any left over! I told my kids that this is a really enjoyable hobby, but I'm going to have to stop making so many delicious things, or I'm going to be calling Jenny Craig!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%