Cake Disasters

Decorating By SugarTime09 Updated 27 May 2010 , 2:17pm by SugarTime09

SugarTime09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarTime09 Posted 15 May 2010 , 7:38am
post #1 of 7

Okay so there has been a few I'm still learning...so 1 I was throwing my in laws a birthday party so I had this great idea since it was a bar b que I would make a ice chest with the sugar bottles. Sounds simple no carving mold for bottle came ..It was WASC and I tried to tort for the 1st time...(I think I may have put to much filling) strawberry and bulvarin cream.anyhow I filled and frosted with bc and paced in freezer,rolled out my red fondant laid it on (ohwait) I forgot to mention in the meantime made sugar bottles again 1st timer and while I was trying to get the sugar to completely coat the entire mold (with no gloves) it dripped out and burnt the crap out of my ring finger I flung the mold in the air sugar HOT sugar went flying getting me again in the arm Thank God I was right by the sink! I put on a bandaid and my oveglove and successfully made 4 sugar bottles and ice a couple corona,budwiser
Back to the cake so after placing the ice and bottles on the cake (wasn't expecting the extra weight) and the sides started to give way to the pressure.it was bulging I put it in the frig and was so discouraged and actually was like forget it I just won't show it I will just serve it. My husband said "So your just going to give up? Why don't u just re do it?"
That coming from a contractor who swears he can whip up a cake..pfft.I was not going to take that lying down...lol
So I baked the cakes over filled ,frosted,covered,and arranged the new ice and bottles on the cake I was so pleased with the end cake and grateful for his push so to speak to suck it up and push forward ...won't tell him that though lol...hope you get a laugh out of this because it was So Not funny while it was happening but hilarious now.

6 replies
DamarisC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DamarisC Posted 15 May 2010 , 3:28pm
post #2 of 7

Hey! my husband works in cement, so he is just SURE that cake decorating is the same thing and he can whip up a cake as well, and possibly more square and cleaned up than me!!! LOL!! construction men!!!

I am happy you tried again! i truly beleive the best way you learn is by your own mistakes...

I am the one that had the whole tapered cake fiasco last night. Although I am not tapering it now, i have managed to get both re baked, filled, frosted, and stacked.. the design on the cake will be a lil different due to time issues (the baby shower is at 3) but i AM PROUD that i did not completly give up and take a trip to the Costco bakery !! LOL!

SugarTime09 Posted 15 May 2010 , 3:41pm
post #3 of 7

Yes the clean edge thing I put to the test and had him try to smooth th bc he did okay for a couple swipes then he just set it down like he had it ..he does custom stamp and design and they literally almost use the exact stuff but hello our canvas us Much smaller and people will not be walking or driving on it lol.....
I'm glad u figured ur new design out the best ones end up being the worst headaches lol...let me know when u post it so I can take a look

respectablecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
respectablecakes Posted 26 May 2010 , 9:01pm
post #4 of 7

when u did ur cooler cake did u put ur rods and the cake board in the cake or what do u use so the bottles and ice wont flatten ur cake?

SugarTime09 Posted 27 May 2010 , 3:36am
post #5 of 7

It was just a two layer with one filling so i just used the 1c. Of pound cake because my faboulous cousin chickie gave me the heads up that it helps with the dense of the cake because it wasn't a order just a after thought and after my fiasco I was trying to work smarter not harder any how... That c. Of # cake relally helped with the structure in the end. Then I layed the bottles etc on the cake directly.. Although I have seen tutorials of an easier route.. Like making them together as a topper because it is easier to remove @ time cutting because like I said it was a B-B-que my husband and I threw I had to cut it so in the future I def. Would do the topper way, my way had to be plucked apart then cut... Hope this helps sorry I tend to go on and on blah blahblaha....lol

respectablecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
respectablecakes Posted 27 May 2010 , 1:12pm
post #6 of 7

no actually it helped alot im trying to start my buisness from home but first i need a portfolio going and im gonna try to do anything that will help get my buisness going, so any advice would be great.

SugarTime09 Posted 27 May 2010 , 2:17pm
post #7 of 7

Make sure u take lots of photos try and offer a wide range of flavors including for diabetic and vegan also include recipes ingredients as to tell ur customers to inform guest incase of allergic reactions

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%