How To Put Together Bow?

Decorating By bostonterrierlady Updated 15 May 2010 , 1:29pm by mamawrobin

bostonterrierlady Posted 15 May 2010 , 3:57am
post #1 of 5

I am making a last minute bow. I used Wioton Fondant with tylose added. It is drying now. Hope it will be dry emough tomorrow. I do not have candy melts. Is there any other way to assemble the bow? Maybe use a small ball of fondant?

4 replies
mbark Posted 15 May 2010 , 4:06am
post #2 of 5

do you have any buttercream? that's what I use, colored the same as the color of the bow & just squirt out a big glob for the center. I haven't tried the ball of fondant, but I would think it would be too hard? BTW Wilton fondant dries very fast, overnight is plenty of time for your bow pieces.

bashini Posted 15 May 2010 , 8:39am
post #3 of 5

Hi, what sort of a bow have you made? And is the cake covered in fondant or bc?

If its a loopy bow or a dress bow, then I use royal Icing to assemble it straight on to the fondant covered cake. icon_smile.gif

Justbeck101 Posted 15 May 2010 , 1:17pm
post #4 of 5

do you have any chocolate candy bars or Hershey kisses? You can use water or gum glue (water with a little tylose added), depending on what kind of bow it is and where it is positioned on the cake.

mamawrobin Posted 15 May 2010 , 1:29pm
post #5 of 5

I've used melted chocolate, royal icing and melted fondant. I like using the same color of fondant that my bow is made of. You just put a ball of the fondant in a bowl and add a tiny bit of water (tiny) and start dissolving your fondant. I use my fingers to work the water in. It will make a nice paste. You don't want it to be at all "runny" but about the same consisgency of melted chocolate.

I then cut a 4X4 piece of fondant.and allow to dry till firm. Then I place a "blob" of my dissolved fondant on it and start assembling my first row of loops. I reapeat the process until my bow is fully assembled. I allow to dry comletely on the square of fondant. After drying it's ready for the top of your cake. I put mine on my cake with the piece of fondant between my tier and my bow. When it's time to cut the cake you can remove the bow as a whole without breaking it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%