Do You Remove Fondant Decorations Before Cutting?

Decorating By Kookie Updated 18 May 2010 , 9:31pm by Kookie

Kookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kookie Posted 15 May 2010 , 3:15am
post #1 of 25

I love buttercream frosting with fondant cut out decorations(letters or any kind of shapes) on the frosted cake.
Looks so beautiful and professional to me.
But.. I always wonder how do they cut the cake?
fondant is kind of hard so do you remove all pretty fondant decorations
before slicing the cake?
if so, it is kind of waste of fondant and what you see is only white boring frosting....

I am thinking if I should use all buttercream decorations or using fondant decoration.....

thanks

24 replies
mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 15 May 2010 , 3:33am
post #2 of 25

the most cakes I do are also buttercream iced with fondant decorations. I have had to cut many of these (cakes I make for family/friend gatherings) & it is annoying, the fondant is hard, but it you try to peel it off alot of the frosting comes with it. I usually just leave the fondant deco on it when cutting (unless anything big that can be taken off). HTH

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 15 May 2010 , 3:56am
post #3 of 25

Your fondant is hard? icon_confused.gif What kind of knife are you using? I cover most all of my cakes with fondant and they also have fondant decorations on them and they are never "hard". Even my buttercream cakes with fondant decorations don't have this problem. I'm just confused as to why they would be so hard that there would be a need to remove them before cutting the cake.

I've heard of people removing gumpaste decorations (they do dry hard) or royal icing decorations but never fondant.

Anyone else have this problem? I'm seriously interested to know because this is just something I've never heard of. icon_smile.gif

mbark Posted 15 May 2010 , 4:09am
post #4 of 25

not rock hard, but pretty hard, yeah. I usually use Wilton which I have found to dry harder than other brands. You can cut through it but it's not clean & neat.

mamawrobin Posted 15 May 2010 , 4:13am
post #5 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbark

not rock hard, but pretty hard, yeah. I usually use Wilton which I have found to dry harder than other brands. You can cut through it but it's not clean & neat.

I use Michele Foster's receipe. Maybe that's why mine is never hard. It's really not at all hard so you can see my confusion. icon_lol.gif Like I said I cover most of my cakes with fondant and I couldn't imagine doing that if the fondant dried so hard that I had to remove even the decorations before cutting. icon_surprised.gificon_lol.gif

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 15 May 2010 , 8:15am
post #6 of 25

We use Fondarific and Satin Ice. People LOVE the flavors and do not remove the decorations. They actually EAT them because they taste good!

Paul

Mama_Mias_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 15 May 2010 , 12:51pm
post #7 of 25

I use Satin Ice and Wiltons (when I have to) as fondant decorations all the time. I have never had either dry hard. It should still be pretty soft against BC IMHO. Not sure why yours is drying hard where you can't cut them. I just leave them on and cut as I normally would.

mbark Posted 15 May 2010 , 3:58pm
post #8 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama_Mias_Cakes

Not sure why yours is drying hard where you can't cut them.

I don't think it's that bad.

Kookie Posted 16 May 2010 , 2:44am
post #9 of 25

first of all, Than you so much for lots of replying for me.
I use wilton fondant since I use it for only decorations.
Most of the time I make fondant decorations one week ahead.
Is that reason why my decorations get hard?????????
Also when I made baby clothes ( flat cut out style) out of fondant, I roll out about 1/8" thick and I have to remove it before cutting.
here is the link to the pic what I am talking about.

http://media.cakecentral.com/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/10419/normal_2008-11_Nov_Poppy_Baptism_024.jpg

mamawrobin Posted 16 May 2010 , 2:57am
post #10 of 25

Kookie, that's a cute cake. thumbs_up.gif If I have to make my decorations ahead of time I put them on a large platter that I line with wax paper and cover with plastic wrap until I'm ready to use. This keeps them from drying out or getting hard.

Things like your baby shoes, bows, number, etc. I allow to dry.

momsfavorite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsfavorite Posted 16 May 2010 , 3:05am
post #11 of 25

How do I find Michele Foster's recipe? Just beginning to work with fondant and I'm curious.

Kookie Posted 16 May 2010 , 3:10am
post #12 of 25

Hi mamawrobin,
Thanks for your advice.
I will do that next time. Actually, I am planing to make a gradation boy black silhouette out of black fondant.
Do you or anyone knows if the black color bleed on BC?
THANKS.

Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 16 May 2010 , 3:48am
post #13 of 25

Cute cake icon_smile.gif. I have done a onsie cake like that, and we just cut through the fondant. Mine was rolled out thinner than that. As for the black, I used Wilton's black fondant (comes in a 4 pack) for a silhouette and it didn't bleed. I have also use fondant I colored black with no bleeding either.

Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 16 May 2010 , 3:50am
post #14 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kookie

first of all, Than you so much for lots of replying for me.
I use wilton fondant since I use it for only decorations.
Most of the time I make fondant decorations one week ahead.
Is that reason why my decorations get hard?????????
Also when I made baby clothes ( flat cut out style) out of fondant, I roll out about 1/8" thick and I have to remove it before cutting.
here is the link to the pic what I am talking about.

http://media.cakecentral.com/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/10419/normal_2008-11_Nov_Poppy_Baptism_024.jpg

For fondant decorations like dots, stripes, etc., I just roll, cut and place it on my cake. I don't make these ahead of time, because I do not want them to be dried hard. I also roll my fondant a bit thinner than 1/8".

mamawrobin Posted 16 May 2010 , 3:57am
post #15 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by momsfavorite

How do I find Michele Foster's recipe? Just beginning to work with fondant and I'm curious.

It's in the "most saved" receipes here on cc. Michele Foster's Fondant.

southernswthrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southernswthrt Posted 16 May 2010 , 12:51pm
post #16 of 25

I use Satin Ice fondant decorations on buttercream all the time, and I never remove them before cutting. They actually taste quite good.

I have found that sometimes I want the shapes to dry and get a little hard before applying them to the cake and other times you want to cut them and put them straight on the cake. It really depends on whether or not theyll distort. I'm new to this, but this is what I've found in my limited experience...hth

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 16 May 2010 , 4:44pm
post #17 of 25

Hi there,

It really depends on the cake. I do make cakes that have hard figures or pieces that have been drying for a week or two, those are removed before cutting. But, like the circles on your cake sides, those added the same day as the final icing/fondant coat are just cut along with the cake. On that VERY cute cake of yours I would have removed the cross and the booties but the onesie would depend on if it was rolled out and cut out the last day or if it had been drying for a few days. If it was fresh then cut it along with the rest but if it had been drying for a few days then remove it as well.

Now the funny thing is that on those few occassions when I have either been at the party, thrown the party, or worked the party and have cut the cake people just fall apart when I start to disassemble! LOL! I think it's because at that point it stops being a work of art and becomes cake again! LOL! HTH. Cat

ooooo, PS...have you tried making your own fondant? There is a very easy marshmallow fondant recipe on here that's 5 ingrediants...powdered sugar, marshmallows, flavoring, water and crisco (for kneading). It tastes wonderful!

Kookie Posted 16 May 2010 , 5:24pm
post #18 of 25

THANK you ALL again for very helpful comments.
I have made MMF but it takes time. I only make MMF if I need to cover the cake.
Mama_Mias_Cakes:When you make black color fondant, do you add brown first then add black??
THANKS.

momsfavorite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsfavorite Posted 17 May 2010 , 2:30am
post #19 of 25

Thanks so much for your help!

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 17 May 2010 , 2:46am
post #20 of 25

It depends on what the decorations are. This particular cake, you can see it would be easier to remove things prior to cutting lol....
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1654126

sweetiesbykim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiesbykim Posted 17 May 2010 , 3:19am
post #21 of 25

My fondant decorations never get solid, unless they are mixed with gumpaste or added tylose and supposed to be dry. Maybe if they are placed on the dry surface of a crusted BC they dry out? I'm not sure. I use SMBC, so the BC and fondant pieces stay nice and soft icon_smile.gif

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 17 May 2010 , 4:36am
post #22 of 25

yes mine also only get hard if I add gumpaste and or tylose, and want it that way. If its dots or stripes etc, I would slice thru that.

Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 17 May 2010 , 1:15pm
post #23 of 25
Quote:

Mama_Mias_Cakes:When you make black color fondant, do you add brown first then add black??
THANKS.

I start with a chocolate fondant then add the color. I have not made it starting with a white fondant. I buy it premade if the chocolate does not go with the cake.

If I had to color white fondant black, then I would make my fondant brown first then add the black. I also add royal blue too. It makes a nice truer black.

sweetiesbykim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiesbykim Posted 17 May 2010 , 4:55pm
post #24 of 25

I also use white chocolate fondant, choco-pan brand, and all their colors. If it dries out slightly, like some of the scraps, I reheat it in the microwave and it's like new!! I rarely have to color fondant anymore, since most of my cakes orders are using the colors that are for sale pre-colored -ESPECIALLY black, red, and blue!

Kookie Posted 18 May 2010 , 9:31pm
post #25 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama_Mias_Cakes

Quote:

THANKS.

I start with a chocolate fondant then add the color. I have not made it starting with a white fondant. I buy it premade if the chocolate does not go with the cake.

If I had to color white fondant black, then I would make my fondant brown first then add the black. I also add royal blue too. It makes a nice truer black.

I don't have time to buy black fondant so... I will make one.
Thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%