Need Help! Silly Bandz Cake

Decorating By cakedivamommy Updated 7 Aug 2010 , 4:33am by twcobb

cakedivamommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedivamommy Posted 15 May 2010 , 2:16am
post #1 of 9

So, the new craze for kids are these things called silly bandz. I have a customer who is wanting to order a "silly band cake". I dont want to throw a bunch of rubber band bracelets onto a cake so I need all of your creative juices to flow. What the heck can I make for this little boy who has a love for silly bandz? Thanks for any and all ideas!

8 replies
Kim06096 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kim06096 Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 10:28pm
post #2 of 9

Hi I know a little boy turning 8 this weekend and he wants me to make him a silly bandz cake also. I am curious as to what you decided to do. I thought about doing a topsy turvy cake but i've never done one and after reading the "how to" Im not sure i am ready to do one. I also do not want to put plastic wrist bands all over the cake. I would appreciate your reply. Thanks. Kim

dinascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinascakes Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 10:43pm
post #3 of 9

If it was me, I would either ask the bday kid what their favorite silly bandz is and make the cake in that shape OR make the cake with a solid dark background like black or navy blue and then attach a bunch of fondant shaped like silly bandz to cover all over the cake. Remember, although they are still selling them, silly bandz have lead in them. Not good for putting on something that is edible. I don't know completely how it works, but I would think it could contaminate the frosting. Good luck!

ddmckinney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddmckinney Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 10:43pm
post #4 of 9

i have a friend who rolled out fondant overthe silly bandz, thenwhen she put the fondant on the cake, the bands were up. it was very cute and colorful

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 11:00pm
post #5 of 9

my son was begging for a silly bands cake....i finally talked him out of it but the cake i ended up making was more work, lol.

but when i had been thinking about it, i thought i would use the extruder and make sillly band shapes with the small single hole disc.

bridge72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bridge72 Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 1:03am
post #6 of 9

How about drawing out or placing the actual silly band under waxed paper and using either colored chocolate or colored flexible gumpaste to make the bands???

heddahope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heddahope Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 3:35am
post #7 of 9

I don't know, the first thing that come to mind arw the pull n peel twizzlers. I know they come in different colors and they kind of have the same texture and translucentness (I know that's not a word, lol)

twcobb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twcobb Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 3:52am
post #8 of 9

My daughter is wanting one also so wish me luck lol ... anyone else tired of the silly band craze icon_razz.gif

ANYWAY my idea is a topsy turvy cake with fondant girly shapes and i thought about grouping the sillybands tied together with wire so that they make kind of a firework look and stick into the cake in different places... that way she can take them off and share with the guests
hoping this will work lol

twcobb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twcobb Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 4:33am
post #9 of 9

Hey guys if anyone is still following this thread icon_smile.gif .. this is how mine turned out .. pretty decent considering its my first topsy turvy cake and my second fondant cake ... i definatly need more practice...lol
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%