Horrible Fondant

Baking By Hollyann386 Updated 15 May 2010 , 2:43am by mamawrobin

Hollyann386 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollyann386 Posted 15 May 2010 , 2:14am
post #1 of 2

OKAY SO TODAY WAS MY HUSBANDS BDAY AND I DECIDED TO MAKE HIM AN XBOX CAKE BECAUSE HE LOVES HIS XBOX...WELL BIG MISTAKE THERE LET ME TELL YOU...IT STARTED OFF OKAY..LOL..IVE NEVER USED FONDANT BEFORE SO I DECIDED TO MAKE IT USING POWDERED SUGAR WITH A RECIPE THAT I FOUND ONLINE...IT WAS GOING GOOD I PUT IT IN AN AIRTIGHT CONTAINER OVER NIGHT WAS NICE AND HARD WHEN I TOOK IT OUT UNTILLLLLLL I WENT TO ROLL IT OUT AND WAS STICKING AND TEARING ALL OVER THE PLACE..DONT KNOW WHERE I WENT WRONG..THEN I DYED THE FONDANT FOR DIFFERENT PEICES OF THE XBOX AND BOY WAS THAT A MISTAKE TOO IT BECAME GOOY AND DISGUSTING AND WAS RIPPING B/4 I COULD EVEN GET IT ON THE CAKE..I THOUGHT FONDANT WAS SOPOSE TO BE STIFF AND EASY TO WORK WITH...DONT KNOW WHERE I WENT WRONG..IM SOPOSE TO MAKE ANOTHER CAKE NEXT WEEKEND FOR MY SONS 2ND BDAY AND I HAVE TO FIGURE IT OUT B4 THEN OR IM SCREWED...LOL...ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE GREAT

1 reply
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 15 May 2010 , 2:43am
post #2 of 2

What receipe did you use? This was your first time using fondant? I practiced covering several cakes before I actually "made" a fondant covered cake for an event.

I started off using premade fondant so that I could get an idea of what the texture should be. I then started making mmf and never did have good results getting it right. I tried Michele Foster's receipe and it turned out perfect the first time I made it. I've used nothing else since I made my first batch.

I suggest that you buy a small box of Wilton fondant. It doesn't taste the best but it is easy to work with. Make a small practice cake and try learning how to properly roll out the fondant and how to properly cover a cake. It just takes some practice to do it correctly.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%