Bc Pity Party, You're Invited!!!

Decorating By poohsmomma Updated 16 May 2010 , 12:30pm by poohsmomma

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 15 May 2010 , 2:12am
post #1 of 18

Thanks for coming to my pity party. Refreshments will include lopsided cakes.

I am feeling so frustrated tonight. I have made some cakes that I am very proud of, but lately, decorating is very disheartening. I made my granddaughter's 3rd b-day cake tonight, and I just want to cry. I can't get a cleanly iced round to save my life! I do a pretty good job with the fondant decorations, but the cakes I put them on are a mess.

The more cakes I make, the worse I get!!! I have bought and watched Sugarshack's video, but I am totally losing whatever skill I had. My baked cakes are level, but my iced top edges are uneven and sloping in some areas. I don't know if my buttercream is too soft??? Am I rushing the process??? Am I just past my decorating prime???

Anyway, thanks again for coming. Feel free to take leftover lopsided cake with you when you leave...

17 replies
msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 15 May 2010 , 2:16am
post #2 of 18

I feel your pain. Maybe we are just too hard on ourselves and a bit too critical. By the way, you cakes look awesome.

iamcakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamcakin Posted 15 May 2010 , 2:20am
post #3 of 18

Hi, and thanks for the invitation!

I sampled a piece, and even tho it was a little lopsided, it was, indeed delicious icon_biggrin.gif

I feel your frustration, and have certainly been there...have you watched Sharon's DVD recently? I've finally mastered BC, and it's solely due to her technique. Too soft BC may very well be your problem - pour a glass of wine, sit down and relax. I'd bet money that your granddaughter is thrilled with her cake thumbs_up.gif .

Again I enjoyed your lovely party!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 May 2010 , 8:00am
post #4 of 18

Suck it up, babe! You get no pity party! icon_razz.gif I looked at your cakes and the stacked ones I looked at had nice sharp edges, icing was very smooth, didn't notice anything like you described. thumbs_up.gif

Many on here will back me up when I say that I wont' say something looks nice if it doesn't. Unless you're just not posting those cakes, i can't see what you're talking about.

man! And I was *SO* looking forward to a party, too! icon_biggrin.gif

poohsmomma Posted 15 May 2010 , 1:35pm
post #5 of 18

You hit the nail on the head, Deb, I only post the good ones! I've had three major messes lately, and I felt guilty giving them to the people they were meant for-even though they were gifts!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 May 2010 , 10:07pm
post #6 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohsmomma

You hit the nail on the head, Deb, I only post the good ones! I've had three major messes lately, and I felt guilty giving them to the people they were meant for-even though they were gifts!

Oh post 'em! thumbs_up.gif

I just got home from my grandkids birthday party and in the next day or two, will post the WORST cake I've ever done! omg, it will go under the heading of "This is how you're NOT suppose to do it!" But I'm posting it because it's a great visual when trying to explain what will happen if you don't pay attention to all the great advice here on CC!! icon_redface.gif As a matter of fact, the ONLY reason I took a pic was to show poeple "omg look at this ugly cake!" icon_lol.gif

Daughter kept laughing at me, saying "mom, no one is noticing but you." Then one of the guests came up, looked at the cake and said, "Noticing what?" Daughter burst out laughing.

QueenMo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QueenMo Posted 15 May 2010 , 11:00pm
post #7 of 18

i was shelling out some pretty ugly stuff for a little while until i just relaxed...sometimes, you just have to do one for fun or make it ugly on purpose. just relax!

poohsmomma Posted 16 May 2010 , 1:14am
post #8 of 18

I have tried to attach a picture of one of my problem cakes. If you can see right at the edge the icing has cracked and is pulling apart. I had lots of black squiggles on the cake, but it was still noticeable.

As for last night's cake, I took Deb's words to heart, and this morning I disassembled the droopy cake, scraped off the icing, and started over. The re-do looked much better, but by party time this afternoon, one side had started to slide again.

Now for playing detective, the icing that I scraped off this morning was very soft/loose/runny next to the cake. Is my cake too moist???? Could that be my problem???
LL

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 16 May 2010 , 1:16am
post #9 of 18

I think it was Debi that said it... I will be getting one soon... try a laser leveler... they posted a pic... and it's awesome cause you follow the red line to ice your cake nice and level...

hth

poohsmomma Posted 16 May 2010 , 1:24am
post #10 of 18

It starts out level, it just slides down!

Debi2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debi2 Posted 16 May 2010 , 1:34am
post #11 of 18

ohhhh...I love the laser level tip!!! Thanks dalis4joe!

Kima920 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kima920 Posted 16 May 2010 , 1:34am
post #12 of 18

Your buttercream may be too loose.. I would adding either more powdered sugar to make it thicker so it holds up better or add in cornstarch. Cornstarch will thicken the buttercream without adding additional sugary sweet flavor. Or maybe cut down on the amount of butter/shortening you are using. That's the only thing I can think other than your house maybe too warm and if that is the case then I would throw it in the freezer for a little bit to stiffen up the icing.

MnSnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MnSnow Posted 16 May 2010 , 1:36am
post #13 of 18

Are your cakes totally cool when your icing them? It sounds as though there is moisture between the cake and icing so the icing isn't adhereing correctly.

I wrap mine in saran wrap and refrigetate overnight. Take them out the next morning and allow to come to room temperature before torting, filling or icing and I have never had a problem with the icing sticking icon_smile.gif

Keep your chin up--or spatula up. It can only get better

poohsmomma Posted 16 May 2010 , 1:54am
post #14 of 18

I sometimes fill mine before they are completely thawed. Could that cause excess moisture??

tripleD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripleD Posted 16 May 2010 , 2:00am
post #15 of 18

well, I guess i'll join your party. We all have had those days. I have been decorating for years and I felt a few weeks ago i had lost my touch. It just a slump. smile on and enjoy the cake. I am sure your daughter does not care if it has crisp lines but the idea that mommy made this great cake.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 16 May 2010 , 2:10am
post #16 of 18

......... fill mine before they are completely thawed. Could that cause excess moisture??......

Probably not but it does depend on how moist the cake was to begin with.
More likely it is icing consistency that is off.
What is your recipe? Are you adding liquid?
Besides Sharon's great recipe one I have often used uses NO liquid.

2 cups shortening
2 sticks butter
2 pounds powder sugar
2 Tablespoons vanilla (or any flavoring/combination you like)

Combine shortening & butter very, very well. Slowly add sugar and flavoring. Mix on low speed for up to 10 minutes. The longer you mix it the smoother it will be.
This does NOT curst but.........if you want it to crust just cut back to one stick of butter.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 16 May 2010 , 2:24am
post #17 of 18

I bought a laser level but now I can't figure out where I'm supposed to set it to make it hit the cake at exactly the right spot!! haha

I've been having issues with buttercream too...still trying to perfect a nice buttercream. I think this weekend I had some too soft or something, for the first time I had a bubble blowout in a cake, and it didn't appear until the cake sat at room temp for maybe 3 hours. Which freaked me out because I'm like "Oh great, wait for this to happen to a wedding cake at serving time..."

I actually iced it nice and smooth for once too, and then here it blew out on me through the fondant. *sigh* Can't win!

poohsmomma Posted 16 May 2010 , 12:30pm
post #18 of 18

I use Indydebi's recipe and love it. I'm thinking either I didn't compensate for the added humidity we've been having by cutting back on the milk, or my cakes have been too moist.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%