Help! Making A Small Wedding Cake For My Friend Tips Plz.

Decorating By kawaiixoxo Updated 16 May 2010 , 2:09am by kawaiixoxo

kawaiixoxo Posted 15 May 2010 , 2:03am
post #1 of 5

I'm making a small wedding cake for my friend, it's my first time ever doing a cake for a wedding, I would like all the help I can get and many thanks in advance. It is an outdoor wedding so the cake will be covered in fondant. It's going to have 3 tiers, 2 chocolate, and 1 vanilla. Or it might be 2 tiers 10in and a 6in. It needs to feed at least 40 people.

The cake will look like this except round. Found this image on google.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3274/2452003158_4b9e5078e2.jpg

I also have a few questions:

When should I make the cake?

When should I take the cake out of the refrigerator before the wedding?

Do I have to cover the cake in buttercream before I put the fondant over it? She (the bride) wants chocolate frosting on chocolate cake.

I want to make gum paste roses and put them on the cake, but I've heard it might "melt" the fondant. If so how do I prevent the "melting" from happening?

Gosh, I had so many questions and forgot them...shucks.

4 replies
Bunsen Posted 15 May 2010 , 2:31am
post #2 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawaiixoxo

I'm making a small wedding cake for my friend, it's my first time ever doing a cake for a wedding, I would like all the help I can get and many thanks in advance. It is an outdoor wedding so the cake will be covered in fondant. It's going to have 3 tiers, 2 chocolate, and 1 vanilla. Or it might be 2 tiers 10in and a 6in. It needs to feed at least 40 people.

The cake will look like this except round. Found this image on google.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3274/2452003158_4b9e5078e2.jpg

I also have a few questions:

When should I make the cake? Depends on what recipe you are using

When should I take the cake out of the refrigerator before the wedding? Again depending on the recipe you may not need to refrigerate at all

Do I have to cover the cake in buttercream before I put the fondant over it? She (the bride) wants chocolate frosting on chocolate cake. You can use an american buttercream, IMBC/SMBC or chocolate ganache

I want to make gum paste roses and put them on the cake, but I've heard it might "melt" the fondant. If so how do I prevent the "melting" from happening? Gumpaste and fondant don't react together so they won't melt

Gosh, I had so many questions and forgot them...shucks.

langranny Posted 15 May 2010 , 2:32am
post #3 of 5

I make my cakes the weekend before (I work during the week) and after they cool for a couple of hours (10 minutes in the pan, the rest on a rack), wrap them really well and put them in the freezer. You can make the gumpaste flowers weeks ahead. I've put gumpaste flowers on fondant covered cakes for years and never heard of them melting anything. Just make the flowers, let them dry thoroughly and then cover them loosely. I suggest you mix some fondant with the gumpaste (about 1/2 and 1/2, but just eyeball it) and the flowers won't be as fragile. A couple of hours before you plan to start working on the cakes, take them out of the freezer. I like to fill and crumb coat while they are still cool, but they frost better at near room temperature. Cover them with buttercream and make sure it is as smooth as you can get it. Then cover with fondant. There are some great videos on covering cakes with fondant if you haven't done it before. Once they are covered with fondant, you don't really want to refrigerate the cakes - they tend to sweat and get streaky when you take them out of the fridge. If you complete them a day or so ahead, they will be fine without refrigeration. The fondant seals in the moisture and the cake stays fresh.

leily Posted 15 May 2010 , 2:36am
post #4 of 5

welcome to cake central. There is a wealth of information here so you should hopefully be able to get all of your questions answered. I'll try to help with what you've asked so far.

1) 10" serves 39 and a 6" serves 14, so with two tiers you will have a total of 53 servings if you serve the entire cake. If they want to save the top tier then you'll need a third tier.

2) When to make the cake - are you planning on scratch or box? I haven't frozen scratch cake, but I freeze box ones all the time after they are baked, so you could bake the cake a week or two in advance.

3) as previously stated you may not have to refridgerate the cake at all, usually only if you're using a filling that needs refridgeration. What are you planning on using for a filling?

4&5) same answer as Bunsen for the icing under fondant and gum paste and fondant.

kawaiixoxo Posted 16 May 2010 , 2:09am
post #5 of 5

Thanks for the answers. I haven't tried making chocolate ganche yet. I was just going to use a chocolate frosting recipe. Actually I was going to use this recipe along with the cake recipe. I don't have a vanilla cake recipe and I don't know what I want to frost it with yet, actually it's all up to the bride. Can you share a good moist vanilla cake recipe? And maybe a good frosting or filling that can go well with it. Thank you.

http://www.hersheys.com/recipes/recipes/detail.asp?id=184

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%