Decorating By Megabot Updated 15 May 2010 , 12:43pm by Mama_Mias_Cakes

Megabot Posted 15 May 2010 , 1:44am
post #1 of 9

I'm confused about what needs to be refridgerated and what doesn't. I have been puting all of my cakes in the fridge in the in-between stacking/crumb coating stage and the fondant/decorating stage. Is this wrong?? Confused

8 replies
UpAt2am Posted 15 May 2010 , 1:52am
post #2 of 9

everybody has their own way of doing it...

i say, if it's been working for you to do it that way, continue to do so icon_smile.gif

i fridge for 15 minutes b/t crumb and final works for me. only rarely during the extremely hot/humid months do i have a few issues with condensation/longer time to crust/etc.

there are also people who say "never put fondant in the fridge!" i sometimes do... and again, rarely run into any trouble with it!

so whatever works and is successful for you...DO icon_smile.gif

leily Posted 15 May 2010 , 1:59am
post #3 of 9

i agree with UpAt2am, if it works for you then do it.

I freeze my cake layers after baking, but before decorating. Otherwise nothing sees the fridge unless I am using a perishable filling that has to be refridgerated (which is only for family events, because I can't sell cakes/cookies/items that have to be refridgerated with my business right now)

mamawrobin Posted 15 May 2010 , 3:23am
post #4 of 9

I never refrigerate any of my cakes. If you're not using a perishable filling stop putting them in the fridge. icon_smile.gif No need. If I were pulling mine in and out of the fridge I'd have serious issues. (done that once) Condensation isn't nice to a cake and with the humidity that we have it's an issue.

leah_s Posted 15 May 2010 , 3:50am
post #5 of 9

ditto mamaawrobin. Refrieration drys out cakes unless you have a fancy commercial fridge where you can adjust the internal humidity.

matthewkyrankelly Posted 15 May 2010 , 4:09am
post #6 of 9

If you wrap in plastic, it will never dry out. Also, once it is crumb coated, the cake itself will not dry out at all appreciably. The crumb coat acts as a sealant for the cake. So get your cake crumb coated asap and you will have little to worry about.

Besides that, if you have room, refrigeration only serves to slow the growth of pathogens. How bad is that?

Now if you want a big discussion, ask about freezing.

indydebi Posted 15 May 2010 , 7:21am
post #7 of 9
Originally Posted by leah_s

ditto mamaawrobin. Refrieration drys out cakes unless you have a fancy commercial fridge where you can adjust the internal humidity.

ditto these ladies. the only time I ever had a problem with my icing was the two times I refrigerated my cakes.

egensinnig Posted 15 May 2010 , 9:52am
post #8 of 9

And I always cover my cakes with fondant and leave them in the fridge over night and never have any trouble icon_smile.gif
But we only use perishebla fillings like mousses, whipped cream and similar so there is really no choice.
I do have a very modern fridge with a dry climat so I guess that helps.

Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 15 May 2010 , 12:43pm
post #9 of 9

I do not refrigerate my cakes unless I use a perishable filling. I also prefer not to freeze my cakes either. I bake/decorate within a day or 2 of the event so my clients get the freshest cake possible. This works for me and my cakes are moist and delicious. So like the others, whatever works for you.

As for perishable fillings, you will need to refrigerate anything that uses:
-whipped cream
-milk (like puddings, not the little amount you use in butter cream)
-cream cheese

Just to name a few ingredients off the top of my head. I also prefer to refrigerate cakes that use fresh fruit that has been slices, pureed, etc.

Quote by @%username% on %date%