Covering A Cake In Fondant.. ?

Decorating By mbark Updated 19 Jun 2010 , 2:48pm by KayMc

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 15 May 2010 , 1:34am
post #1 of 34

Hi all,
I am having trouble covering cakes in fondant. See my picture below for what always happens, some unsightly gathering at the bottom. Am I not rolling my fondant big enough? It's just the weirdest thing, there is always extra gathered areas all around the cake that naturally want to fold in. I try to smooth them down but haven't had much success.

So far it's been alright as the cakes are busy & I can cover up the flaws with decorations. But I know it's just a matter of time before someone wants a plain fondant covered cake that's gonna show any errors!

This was about the 5th cake I've covered in fondant (I prefer b/c w/fondant decor), and I've only done 6" or 8" ones. I'm nervous now because I booked a 3 tiered fondant covered cake for next month in larger sizes.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
LL

33 replies
tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 15 May 2010 , 1:50am
post #2 of 34

Actually I think the larger cakes are easier to cover. Try lifting the fondant out as you smooth it. I used to have this problem too. It is worse when the fondant gets rolled too thin. I like to roll it out to about 1/4" thick. HTH

mbark Posted 15 May 2010 , 1:59am
post #3 of 34

hmm, never thought of that.
I wish my darn picture were showing up! I'm trying to upload the finished cake photo & it says it's too small?
anyway, I'm hoping I'm not fondant impaired, I'll keep trying, any other words of advice would be great.

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 15 May 2010 , 2:03am
post #4 of 34

There are some good youtube videos out there for covering cakes with fondant. If you want to purchase help, Sharon Zombito's DVD's are very good. By all means, don't give up! Once it clicks you'll wonder why it didn't work before.

Bunsen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bunsen Posted 15 May 2010 , 2:20am
post #5 of 34

Have you tried elevating the cake slightly? Use an upturned cake tin smaller than the cake size just to lift the cake an inch or so off the work surface - not so high that the weight of the fondant pulls down too much but enough to give you a little more room to pull out and smooth the gathering.

I also agree that bigger cakes are actually easier - a 6 inch is a real pain to cover in fondant!

nancyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancyg Posted 15 May 2010 , 2:42am
post #6 of 34

I found if I roll the fondant about 3" bigger all the way around. I dont get the pleats. The closer to the size of the cake it is the more pleats you will get.

The trick is to avoid them, because they dont smooth out. Also, smooth on opposite sides. Do right side, the left side. Then turn cake 1/2 turn and do right then left. Then go right side, left side. on the 4 blank spaces you have left. Then smooth bottom as you go all the way around cake.

I hope this makes sense....

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 15 May 2010 , 2:59am
post #7 of 34

I roll my fondant about 3 to 5 inches more all around than needed. I elevate my cake (I set an 8 inch cake on a 6 inch cake pan) so that it isn't flat to my table. I lay the fondnat on and smooth the top and then start smoothing my sides slightly moving my right hand toward me as I smooth the fondant onto my cake.

As I smooth with my right hand I'm holding the fondant with my left.
I don't "pull" the fondant but I hold it constantly with my left hand as I work with my right hand applying to my cake. This keeps it taut and leaves no room for it to "gather" or pleat.

When I get to my starting point it's perfectly smooth all around with no pleats and no creases. I then take a pizza cutter and trim the excess off. Next I take both fondant smoothers and smooth my fondant.

I'm not very good at explaining things so I hope this makes sense icon_lol.gif
Planet Cake has a great tutorial on youtube on "how to cover a cake with fondant" This is the method that she uses.

mbark Posted 15 May 2010 , 3:00am
post #8 of 34

thanks everyone! I was discouraged but will use your tips to keep at it. thumbs_up.gif

Kimbercakes16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimbercakes16 Posted 15 May 2010 , 3:09am
post #9 of 34

All of you just helped me out with some questions about "finicky fondant" in this thread!

Thanks for all the help. I just joined on here last night, and I love the camaraderie and helpful posts!

I'm back to conquer my 16" square tier, and the fondant WILL look good this time. icon_smile.gif

Justbeck101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justbeck101 Posted 15 May 2010 , 1:22pm
post #10 of 34

Maybe your fondant is stretching and sliding down just a little? I can't see the pic so I am not sure what you mean....
Make sure you are moistening the cake enough before you apply your fondant. Smooth the top then the top sides then around the rest of the side, tugging out from the bottom like you would lift a skirt, smoothing as you go. trim the bottom as quickly as possible if you have a lot hanging off or it will cause more stretching and pulling.

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 15 May 2010 , 5:55pm
post #11 of 34

I don't cover cakes with fondant that often, but when I do, I still get a slouch ring around the bottom perimeter of the cake.
I've watched sugarshack's dvd many times, but I still can't get it not to slouch. Her instruction does not include elevating the cake. I would like to try that, but was wondering how you cut the excess fondant after you have it all smoothed down on the sides. Do you cut off the excess while the cake is still elevated? If so, I don't see how you could use a pizza cutter to do that?
How to you get a perfect edge without the slouching?
I couldn't find the Planet Hollywood youtube video.

mamawrobin Posted 15 May 2010 , 8:29pm
post #12 of 34

I use a pizza cutter to cut the larger of the excess off because I roll a much bigger piece of fondant than I need. Then, while my cake is still elevated I use a small sharp knife and hold it flush with my cakeboard to trim my fondant.

It's PLANET CAKE...not Planet Hollywood. thumbs_up.gif

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 15 May 2010 , 9:22pm
post #13 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

I use a pizza cutter to cut the larger of the excess off because I roll a much bigger piece of fondant than I need. Then, while my cake is still elevated I use a small sharp knife and hold it flush with my cakeboard to trim my fondant.

Thanks!

Thanks. Having a senior moment!

mamawrobin Posted 15 May 2010 , 11:34pm
post #14 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by lecrn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Thanks!

Thanks. Having a senior moment!

icon_lol.gif I understand..........unfortunately. thumbs_up.gif

mbark Posted 28 May 2010 , 3:07am
post #15 of 34

I finally figured out how to resize photos so am attaching it if anyone needs to see it to address the problem.
LL

mbark Posted 28 May 2010 , 3:08am
post #16 of 34

and the finished product- wrinkled fondant hiding behind a bunch of decorations, CHECK!
LL

bobhope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobhope Posted 28 May 2010 , 3:27am
post #17 of 34

hi,

that happens to me too..but what i do is spread the fondant (like a skirt) section by section as i go about smoothing them w/ a smoother..i continue this process as i go around the cake..hope that makes sense icon_smile.gif

bobbie

mbark Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 3:17am
post #18 of 34

update, update! I covered an 8" in fondant & it went SO much better! I think the smaller ones are harder. Now I am confident I can do the 3 tiered fondant covered cake set for next weekend. Whoo!

Joshua_Alan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joshua_Alan Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 3:50am
post #19 of 34

The finished cake looks awesome.! I have to believe the mark of a great cake artist is being able to hide their mistakes and you did it well icon_smile.gif

mbark Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 3:58am
post #20 of 34

AND I finally got my cheapo Makin's clay extruder to work using some shortening on my fondant- must be my night!

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 4:22am
post #21 of 34

i thought fondant would be the death of me... until earlier this week there was an excellent thread floating around ful of very handy tips. icon_smile.gif ill see if i can find it and ill post the link.. anyway, the two cakes ive done scince then.. perfect!! well almost.. but very nearly! i was so proud! not a pleat or wrinkle in sight! its just my crumbcoat i need to work on, and i think im going to refridgerate the cake before covering next time, i found it easier to cover when the cake was firmer. also, the elvevation tip!! saved my life!! highly recommend it! i put my cakes on 2 big tins of tuna., you need to use wide tins, not skinny tins.. otherwise your cake will porbably topple. anywho, ill go see if i can find that link.

mbark Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 4:24am
post #22 of 34

oh thanks! any more tips I would definitely appreciate. I had just 2 small creases, which were in the back, overall I was very pleased & think it'll get even better w/more practice.

noahsmummy Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 4:36am
post #23 of 34

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-683559-.html

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-684263-.html

theres two, the top one has a few more tips, but the second one is ok too. =) hth

mbark Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 4:39am
post #24 of 34

thanks so much! glad you're having good fondant success too =)

noahsmummy Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 4:52am
post #25 of 34

can i jsut say.. fondant troubles or no... your cakes are AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!

mbark Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 4:54am
post #26 of 34

Oh you are so sweet! Thanks very much. It is my artistic outlet for sure.

lswren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lswren Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 5:03am
post #27 of 34

How do you mark a fondant cake for a quilted pattern. I am at a loss trying to get this cake marked, your input will be appericated. Thanks , lswren

mbark Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 5:05am
post #28 of 34

I have only done one (the hot pink/zebra cake in my photos) & I used an impression mat.

noahsmummy Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 5:07am
post #29 of 34

if you dont have an impression mat, you can also do it with a regular ruler, just press the edges into the cake in a criss cross manner, i believe wilton also does a special quilting tool as well..

Creativebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Creativebakes Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 5:22am
post #30 of 34

To make the quilted pattern do you press it on the fondant before or after it's on the cake?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%