Piping Gel Disaster- It Slid Smooth Off My Cake! Updated Pic

Decorating By chellescountrycakes Updated 15 May 2010 , 11:25pm by chellescountrycakes

chellescountrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellescountrycakes Posted 15 May 2010 , 12:39am
post #1 of 9

and I almost DIED!!

I made this cake, and had to make homemade piping gel, I didnt get it as thick as what you buy, I reckon I should have- I was just scared to burn it.
and I thought it would thicken as it cooled.

BUT, this morning I picked up the cake, and the piping gel slid OFF. like if you turned a hot pizza sideways--- I had to drive it to town, then get ingrediants, and then borrow a friends house to cook more and go back to the party and redecorate!! The cake was a favor for a friend of a friend. But I was MORTIFIED!!

I put down my crumb coat, let it harden, put blue tinted icing over that and let it harden, and then put the piping gel on there.

OH and my shark?? he started BLEEDING up through the 'water' the grey was coming out like an oil spill... I kid you not!!

see the second cake? nothing like that happened to it!!

what did I do wrong??
LL
LL
LL

8 replies
chellescountrycakes Posted 15 May 2010 , 12:54am
post #2 of 9

oh great- now my pics are not showing up..

chellescountrycakes Posted 15 May 2010 , 3:03am
post #3 of 9

I dont understand about the pictures... and about 44 people looking and noone even saying "well dumbass, you cant use piping gel as water"

Thanksharla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Thanksharla Posted 15 May 2010 , 3:07am
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by chellebyerly

I dont understand about the pictures... and about 44 people looking and noone even saying "well dumbass, you cant use piping gel as water"

I've used Wilton piping gel tinted blue as water before. Worked just fine. No sliding for me.

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 15 May 2010 , 3:16am
post #5 of 9

no pics.... sorry about what happened to you... I didn't even know u could make homemade piping gel (duh!)

icon_smile.gif

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 15 May 2010 , 3:32am
post #6 of 9

I cant see the pics either, but I am so sorry. I have a piping gel recipe that doesnt require cooking.. let me hunt it down and I will send it to you, if you would like. I found it after trying to make piping gel for a friends cake and could never get the blasted gelatin to dissolve !!! agghhh..

edited to add: dalis4joe would like the recipe too? It is great in a pinch.

chellescountrycakes Posted 15 May 2010 , 3:38am
post #7 of 9

Tesso please!! piping gel is a PITA to find here. if I find ONE I am lucky!! and it seems like everyone wants a lake or ocean on their cake. people around here dont see them very often and love them!!

I really wish y'all could see thepics.. the cake did turn out so cool. or at least for this muggle it did icon_wink.gif

But I just cant imagine WHY it decided to slide on this cake... LOL

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 15 May 2010 , 3:54am
post #8 of 9

It might take me a day or two to find, but I will be sending it. I still havent recovered from my computer crash back in dec, I have discs and recipe cards EVERYWHERE. trying to get them back on comp. and organized again. HINT TO ALL.. Back up your hard drive. icon_cry.gif

I found the recipe, it is the basic recipe, not the one i tinkered with to fit my climate (that one is still alluding me). one no cook piping gel recipe on the way !!

chellescountrycakes Posted 15 May 2010 , 11:25pm
post #9 of 9

THANK YOU SOOO MUCH!! maybe now I can make a cake lake again icon_smile.gif and I'm fixing to upload the pics of the luau cake to my photos. I'd LOVE any feedback on them (good and bad- especially bad) I made lots of decorations for it and some of them I just couldnt get to come out like I had it pictured..

Especially the umbrella.. I KNOW that someone makes them out of gumpaste/fondant- but my method didnt really work..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%