Duff Cake Mix...seriously????

Decorating By momma28 Updated 11 Jul 2013 , 8:13pm by laurenp33

Jenny0730 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenny0730 Posted 17 May 2010 , 4:40pm
post #91 of 155

I, personally, will not be buying an $8 box of cake mix because I have found recipes that I like that I can make much cheaper. However, there is a market out there for this stuff. Duff isn't sitting in his bakery and pulling these prices out of his arse. There are people who do this for a living who are pricing this stuff out. Someone out there is willing to pay it. You know what.....good for him. I don't see how it is so horrible that he is taking advantage of a business opportunity. I would do it too.....we ALL would do it.

cakesalone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesalone Posted 17 May 2010 , 4:47pm
post #92 of 155
Quote:
Quote:

Joyfull4444 wrote:
cakesalone I get coupons in the Michaels flyer, but the flyers don't always show up cause of the paper boys forever quiting, so I signed up online at michaels dot com and get the flyers and coupons sent. Just print out the ones you want and go shopping!

Quote:
Quote:

Is there something special you have to do when you sign up? I've signed up three times and STILL don't get the e-mail coupons like I used to. I don't know what's happened. I have a login, profile and everything but still no coupons. I've e-mailed them a couple times with no response.

I have also done this. I have like 2 different log-ins, because I wasn't getting any emails from the 1st one. Still no email coupons, and nothing in spam. They must have my info, as I do receive the weekly ads. I have the 40% coupons from my receipts and I have found the 40% off online coupons also. It's just that 50% is better! icon_wink.gif

sugaah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugaah Posted 17 May 2010 , 5:08pm
post #93 of 155

how about Duff's gel colors. I have not seen the product or price since they were just starting to set-up in my Michaels but I'm sticking with y'all in not buying his high dollar stuff, but anyone what about gel colors?

AXOCutie143 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AXOCutie143 Posted 17 May 2010 , 5:49pm
post #94 of 155

Someone a few pages back posted that they've used the Jewel Tones set and the purple came out nicely. I may have to try for myself.

Joyfull4444 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joyfull4444 Posted 17 May 2010 , 6:42pm
post #95 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesalone

Quote:
Quote:

Joyfull4444 wrote:
cakesalone I get coupons in the Michaels flyer, but the flyers don't always show up cause of the paper boys forever quiting, so I signed up online at michaels dot com and get the flyers and coupons sent. Just print out the ones you want and go shopping!

Quote:
Quote:

Is there something special you have to do when you sign up? I've signed up three times and STILL don't get the e-mail coupons like I used to. I don't know what's happened. I have a login, profile and everything but still no coupons. I've e-mailed them a couple times with no response.

I have also done this. I have like 2 different log-ins, because I wasn't getting any emails from the 1st one. Still no email coupons, and nothing in spam. They must have my info, as I do receive the weekly ads. I have the 40% coupons from my receipts and I have found the 40% off online coupons also. It's just that 50% is better! icon_wink.gif

cakesalone the coupons are part of the weekly newsletter/ad. On a small link at the bottom of the page. you have to click on the link to get the coupons to come up for printing. I just checked my 5/13/2010 newsletter thats promoting the Duff products. Theres a coupon link on mine so you should have one too if you received the newsletter..
50% off coupons don't really show up that often anymore, at least where I live they don't, but they do still come on the newsletter/ad once in a blue moon. Thats when you run fast and buy your cake treasure for sure cause you never know when they're gonna discontinue them! icon_razz.gif

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 17 May 2010 , 6:44pm
post #96 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by endymion

Maybe they are going to your "spam" box?

Nope - checked that. Michael's is on my "safe" list and I've never found any of their e-mails in my junk or spam file. Very odd.

Went back to see if I checked the box to get the newsletter and I did: I checked both the e-newsletter and the online ads. Still nuttin'. icon_confused.gif

newmansmom2004 Posted 17 May 2010 , 6:52pm
post #97 of 155

I did stop by my Michael's store earlier today and they finally have Duff's products up on the shelf.

What I was MORE excited about is the HUGE wall space dedicated to new muffin liners! They don't have them up yet but all the hangers and tags are in place and it looks like they'll have about 80 new muffin liners. Hopefully they'll have some greaseproof papers and papers in nice patterns and colors.

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 17 May 2010 , 6:59pm
post #98 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

I say we all take the pledge not to buy this stuff.

Nope. I won't by the stuff - but I wouldn't buy it if Wilton sold it either...

CNCS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CNCS Posted 17 May 2010 , 7:12pm
post #99 of 155

I saw some paula deen cookie and cake mixes at walgreens yesterday. Thought that was odd too.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 17 May 2010 , 8:40pm
post #100 of 155

Ida Garten has cake mixes too. And their just expensive. I havent tried them though.
I dont blame him at all. I would do it too if I could! He should get it while the gettings good!

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 17 May 2010 , 9:28pm
post #101 of 155

Satin Ice is all over the place in the background of Ace of Cakes. In one episode he tried Fondarific and liked it.

Likely, Fondarific propositioned him for his name, but I'm sure Duff had plenty of input before he would allow the stuff to be sold. I wouldn't turn down an opportunity like that!

I absolutely love Fondarific for covering cakes, but it is useless for any other kind of decorating. I don't mind paying $12 (using 40% coupon) to try Duff's.

saffronica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saffronica Posted 17 May 2010 , 11:41pm
post #102 of 155

Yeah, Duff's stuff is expensive, but until it came out, I couldn't get anything besides Wilton locally, and sometimes I don't have time to order in. It's especially nice to be able to buy colored fondant; I usually make my own, but I HATE making black and red. I used to have to buy those Wilton multi-packs, which cost about $12 (without coupon) and I only got about 4 oz. of the color I needed. I'd much rather pay $20 for 2 lb. of Duff!

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 17 May 2010 , 11:49pm
post #103 of 155

Yeah, it would be nice to be able to buy colored fondant in a pinch if I had to. Especially black.

Bugaboo_Bakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bugaboo_Bakery Posted 18 May 2010 , 12:19am
post #104 of 155

I like the Duff stuff and I am not ashamed to admit it! LOL icon_biggrin.gif

I don't understand all the Duff hate. I am absolutely thrilled I can drive 4 miles down the road and buy a 2lb thing of hot pink fondant that tastes good! I usually order Fondarific fondant but sometimes I don't have time to wait for shipping and sometimes the shipping is more expensive than the product.

I have bought a couple tubs of fondant, the fun wire things (I know I could make them myself but I had a coupon!), and some silver spray paint! I love the spray colors. They are so much fun to use.

Anyhoo, if you have coupons, need something sooner than later, his fondant is awesome. icon_biggrin.gif

newmansmom2004 Posted 18 May 2010 , 1:44am
post #105 of 155

For anyone who's purchased Fondarific, have you purchased a colored fondant only to find that the fondant inside has faded to the point of being nearly white? I bought a container of pink (tutti fruity flavor, I think) for Valentine's Day cookies and when I got it home it had little "pockets" of yellowish color about the size of a pea, but the rest of the fondant was white. I had to add some pink gel color to it.

Just wonderin'.

tripleD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripleD Posted 18 May 2010 , 3:52am
post #106 of 155

I purchased duff colors on Decopac. $32.00 for 10 5oz. tubes. The tubes are the size of a toothpaste tube. I really like the colors. mixes nice.The caps twist on and off so neat and clean.

3LittleBeesCookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3LittleBeesCookies Posted 18 May 2010 , 4:00am
post #107 of 155

I find that interesting, too, because of what I read in his book! I saw the book at my local Barnes and Noble and considered buying it because I love cookbooks! Well, I discovered after leafing through that it was not a cookbook at all, but more of a bio about him and his team and stories behind the episodes and the cake designs. There were a few tips for better baking--like dusting your hands with cornstarch once modeling chocolate starts to melt---but nothing more. He wrote in the book that people often tell him wedding cakes don't usually taste good and they want to know if his cakes taste as good as they look. Duff said that the cakes that folks have had that didn't taste good may have been from a mix or maybe the icing was just sweetened shortening.

When I saw the Duff butter cream at Michael's, I read the ingredients to see if it differed from any of the other ready made butter cream in terms of ingredients. Nope.

I guess that his product line is for folks who want to say that have had a Duff cake, but who might not actually find a Duff cake affordable. I inquired 3 years ago about a baby shower cake I saw on their website. The cake was fairly simple and I needed it for 20 people. I was told $500!! Now, the minimum cake is 1,000. Not too many can afford those prices!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RozMarie

It also mentions that the products are supposed to be what Charm City Cakes would actually use in their shop. There's food for thought...

Anyway, I don't plan to spend that much money on his products either unless, like others have said, I'm in a real pinch.

akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 18 May 2010 , 6:04am
post #108 of 155

I'm going to Michaels tomorrow to see if they have the Duff stuff yet. Sounds like his gel colors are good, I'll probably buy those.

I can buy Satin Ice here, it's $16/2 lbs. So Duff's isn't that bad, especially with a coupon. I'm really excited to be able to buy black premade, which just isn't available here (retail). Shipping is cost prohibitive.

Butterpatty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Butterpatty Posted 18 May 2010 , 7:07pm
post #109 of 155

I get the Michaels ad via e-mail and could never find a coupon. So, duh moment one day and I typed coupon into the search function of the ad and guess what popped up-- icon_redface.gif , yep the coupon for the week. I also get AC Moores ads via e-mail and they often have a 50% coupon. I print an extra out and use it at Michaels.

sugaah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugaah Posted 18 May 2010 , 7:18pm
post #110 of 155

could you, would you share your coupons with your needy friends?

Erawin2008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erawin2008 Posted 18 May 2010 , 8:20pm
post #111 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justbeck101

Michaels is also bringing in their own line of cake decorating items. That is whay they are remodeling their cake isles. There will be 3 or 4 isles of cake stuff now

I heard the same thing from an employee at my local Michaels. It's a partnership with Wilton to make products for by Wilton for Michaels. I just hope the prices don't keep rising the way they are.
Duff products are very expensive. I can only find need for one or two items (black fondant) other than that nothing else. I also find it ridiculous to pay $7.99 plus tax for cake mix!

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 20 May 2010 , 2:13am
post #112 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugaah

could you, would you share your coupons with your needy friends?

There was a Michael's ad in my Sunday paper. That ad has a 40% off coupon in it. If you purchase something this week, you should get a coupon for 40% off for next week at the register. That would bypass the email coupon issue.

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 20 May 2010 , 10:32pm
post #113 of 155

Newmansmom----

Contact Lois or Laura at Fondarific about that....I got a discounted tub of tutti frutti from our local cake decorating shop this past weekend and it tasted just fine and looked good...It is a pale pink, though.

Paul

chelseak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelseak Posted 21 May 2010 , 11:45pm
post #114 of 155

So I was just in the local Michaels here (Victoria, B.C) and they just got the Duff Cake Mix in...... $13.49!!! For ONE box of cake mix! I thought, maybe it is an extra large box or something. Nope - bakes 1 9x13 or 2 x 8 or 9" cakes. I couldn't believe it. This has probably already been posted in this thread, but I just had to share. Man oh man, talk about price gouging.

Joyfull4444 Posted 22 May 2010 , 12:16am
post #115 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by chelseak

So I was just in the local Michaels here (Victoria, B.C) and they just got the Duff Cake Mix in...... $13.49!!! For ONE box of cake mix! I thought, maybe it is an extra large box or something. Nope - bakes 1 9x13 or 2 x 8 or 9" cakes. I couldn't believe it. This has probably already been posted in this thread, but I just had to share. Man oh man, talk about price gouging.

Yikes! Thanks for the heads up Chelseak. I'm in New West BC so most likely the same at my Michaels. Not that I'd ever try it even at 8 bux a pop, that was bad enough. Don't you just love how we Canucks get gouged on cake stuff? Actually, now that I've said that, on ANYTHING we buy!! icon_mad.gif

chelseak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelseak Posted 22 May 2010 , 1:16am
post #116 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyfull4444

Yikes! Thanks for the heads up Chelseak. I'm in New West BC so most likely the same at my Michaels. Not that I'd ever try it even at 8 bux a pop, that was bad enough. Don't you just love how we Canucks get gouged on cake stuff? Actually, now that I've said that, on ANYTHING we buy!! icon_mad.gif

I KNOW! It's ridiculous! Maybe now that cake decorating is the "IN" thing to do, we might get more options eventually...?? Hopefully cheaper options...Off topic, I used to live in New West icon_smile.gif A long, long time ago... icon_smile.gif Where do you buy your cake stuff? I want to try to find a decent store on the mainland to go to the next time I go over...All I know of is Scoop N Save in Langley...

newmansmom2004 Posted 22 May 2010 , 1:35am
post #117 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Guys

Newmansmom----

Contact Lois or Laura at Fondarific about that....I got a discounted tub of tutti frutti from our local cake decorating shop this past weekend and it tasted just fine and looked good...It is a pale pink, though.

Paul

Thanks, Paul - I'll do that. I still have some of the fondant so if they want me to send back what I didn't use I can do that.

candice1988 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candice1988 Posted 22 May 2010 , 1:50am
post #118 of 155

So has it been confirmed yet whether duffs fondant is satin ice or fondarific? Ill definitely try it if it's fondarific.

shaymomx5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shaymomx5 Posted 22 May 2010 , 9:23am
post #119 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriMc

I'm glad to see an honest thread about Duff and his cakes. While the show is entertaining, I think we can all agree his cakes are only for looks. Who wants to pick through the 1" deep fondant, styrafoam and pvc to get a crumb of cake? Duff is entertaining and hilarious, but he's a little crazy if he thinks people will pay $8 for a cake mix!

LOL! My kids and I watch the show and think the same thing. Sometimes I wonder if he even has any cake in some of his projects! I think I prefer Cake Boss because they try to do most of their stuff edible unlike the styrofoam of Charm City. It takes more IMO to decorate something a little less sturdy than styrofoam. The only problem is sometimes the fake drama on Cake Boss is a little over the top.

As for the new line at Michael's, it was refreshing to see a bigger selection and brighter colors, ours was looking pretty drab. It would be nice if the prices were better so it would encourage price competition with Wilton.

Joyfull4444 Posted 22 May 2010 , 10:22am
post #120 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by chelseak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyfull4444

I KNOW! It's ridiculous! Maybe now that cake decorating is the "IN" thing to do, we might get more options eventually...?? Hopefully cheaper options...Off topic, I used to live in New West icon_smile.gif A long, long time ago... icon_smile.gif Where do you buy your cake stuff? I want to try to find a decent store on the mainland to go to the next time I go over...All I know of is Scoop N Save in Langley...

chelseak, Scoop N Save is where I buy most of my stuff too as it seems to be the only cake supply store that has a good variety plus its the only cake shop around it seems. I've checked for shops in Van but not had any luck. I usually avoid their cookie cutters unless they have a cutter I can't find at Ming Wo, as Scoop N Saves cutters are 2 bux whereas Ming Wo only charges a buck for the same cutters.
The Gourmet Warehouse in Vancouver carries some cake supplies, Wilton stuff, some Ateco, Americolor etc. They've started carrying Fat Dadio pans in the last year too. They have a good supply of Callebaut chocolate in slabs or discs plus the French division of Callebaut, Cacaobarry chocolate pistoles. You can also pick up edible gold flakes too but its pretty expensive. Gourmet Warehouse has so many other products too, not just cake stuff. I can't tell you how many times I've dropped a ton of money on goodies when I'd only dropped in to pick up parchment rounds.
Heres Goumet Warehouse website. They've been working on changing it over so not complete yet. If you click on the shop box at the top of the page you'll find more items than clicking on the products box.

http://www.gourmetwarehouse.ca/

I also pick up a few things at the Decorette shop in Portland when we go across the border for a holiday. Decorette has a good supply of cake stuff too. They also have thier own line of cake pans that equal Magic Line as far as I'm concerned. I have Magic Line pans I bought at Scoop N Save that cost a fortune, and Decorette pans I picked up last time I was there. Same size pans, same metal same everything except the name at half the price. I haven't been there in almost 2 yrs so would imagine they're into Fat Dadio pans like every other cake shop seems to be. Heres the link in case you're planning a Portland shopping trip soon. Theres no sales tax in Portland which is a nice added bonus

http://www.thedecoretteshop.com/

I also shop online at Squires Kitchen UK. Theres no duty or export fees to pay if you order from the UK, unlike products ordered from US websites. One of my favorites from Squires is Massie Parish's modeling paste. Really good stuff and the white is pure white! The modeling paste goes on sale every once in a while and when it does I stock up. I don't use a lot of paste/fondant like others so smaller ready made packages do me fine. Squires also has Cakes and Sugarcraft magazine & Wedding Cakes magazine, both very good. I pick up whatever issue catches my eye. Lots of how to's in them so excellent that way. You can sign up for the Squires E newsletters to see whats on special or new products they might be carrying. Its a once a month newsletter.
Heres their website.
http://www.squires-shop.com/ibf/index.php?p=home&loc=CA

I'm still hoping a cake shop will open in Vancouver sometime soon as it would be a lot closer for me to get too. I'm a bit surprised no one has bothered to open a cake shop downtown really. It would do a booming business!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%