Graduation Hat Top Help

Decorating By beck60 Updated 17 May 2010 , 12:25am by beck60

beck60 Posted 14 May 2010 , 10:17pm
post #1 of 8

I want to make a graduation cap cake for my grandson but I'm new with fondant and I'm not sure if I can cover card board fir the hat top. Can anyone give me some tips on this. Thank you

7 replies
LittleLamb2 Posted 14 May 2010 , 10:44pm
post #2 of 8

I covered cardboard with the Wilton foil and then cover it in Red fondant for the bubble gum machine cake that is in my pictures. It's the piece that is right under the gumballs. I don't see why you couldn't do it for a grad cap, but I've only been doing this for a year so I'm no expert. HTH

beck60 Posted 15 May 2010 , 10:32am
post #3 of 8

Thank you for answering my post. I guess I should do a practice one and see what I can do.

pattycakesnj Posted 15 May 2010 , 10:42am
post #4 of 8

for the top part, make it out of gumpaste and let it dry, no need to use a board

anasazi17 Posted 15 May 2010 , 12:13pm
post #5 of 8
Originally Posted by pattycakesnj

for the top part, make it out of gumpaste and let it dry, no need to use a board

I agree, I just made one this way (in my photos) it worked extremely well. I made 2 just in case icon_smile.gif I rolled it about 1/4 thick and let it dry for about 4 days.

Justbeck101 Posted 15 May 2010 , 1:14pm
post #6 of 8

You can cover it in fondant without covering it with foil also. If you have tylose, just add a little tylose to the fondant work it in, let it rest a couple of minutes. Then roll it out. Let it harden for about 20 minutes then then cut it with an xacto or pizza cutter. When you cut it use the cardboard as your template. Cut the fondant just a little larger than the cardboard so you have a small lip to moisten on one side and a lip on the other side to to stick to the moistened side.

Use another piece of cardboard to support the pieces of fondant when you flip it to stick on the cardboard.....
I hope that made sense....

raquel1 Posted 15 May 2010 , 1:29pm
post #7 of 8

I'm making one right now, I use a 50/50 mix fondant and gumpaste and just cut the square out of it and let it dry, I have one in my picks as a topper and it works out just great.

beck60 Posted 17 May 2010 , 12:25am
post #8 of 8

Thank you all for your help. I think I'll try the gumpaste and let it dry. I'm not sure how well I could cover cardboard because I'm so new with working with fondant. Again thank you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%