This Isn't Going To Work

Decorating By KayMc Updated 14 May 2010 , 11:27pm by Melvira

KayMc Posted 14 May 2010 , 9:43pm
post #1 of 7

I live in an area where the closest cake supply store is one hour away. I'm not counting the big box stores, as we have Michael's, Joann's, and AC Moore. However, they are certainly limited in what they offer.

Today I received my first order of hi ratio shortening. With shipping, for a 3 LB tub, it came to almost $16. This is only extremely absurd. I have struggled with the concept of even using shortening in my frosting, as I've used only butter my entire life. Do I need to figure out how to make other non-shortening frosting????????????? Geesh.....

I guess I'm just cranky as I also got another order in today. For leaf veiners, which was only a couple hunks of plastic, the set of 4 was around $32. I feel like I'm really getting hosed.....

6 replies
Kitagrl Posted 14 May 2010 , 9:51pm
post #2 of 7

How extensive is the one-hour-away cake supply place? Any way you can go there once a month?

We have local cake stuff here (very lucky, I admit) but I still place orders from GSA and stuff, and I find them reasonable....

If you order a big thing of Sweetex it would be alot cheaper than the small tubs and it will last you a long time....

tootie0809 Posted 14 May 2010 , 9:59pm
post #3 of 7

You could call the closest cake supply stor and see if they can order you in a bulk box of the high-ratio. I do this with my local cake supply store and it saves me tons on shipping because they just add it to their big order. Then you could just make the trip every once in a while to pick it up.

chellescountrycakes Posted 14 May 2010 , 10:59pm
post #4 of 7

You are lucky with having craft stores near you. My nearest craft store in an hour away. I have walmart. which has NOTHING. they dont even carry gumpaste half the time, and DONT have piping gel.

I do feel your pain on the veiners. or cutters or anything. you know it doesnt cost that much to have those made.

this is when you have to get creative. or find garage sales with stuff. icon_smile.gif

KayMc Posted 14 May 2010 , 11:04pm
post #5 of 7

I had decided that I would try to go to this store that's an hour away every couple of months, and try to buy in bulk. I went for a walk, and I'm over myself now, and my annoyance at the overinflated prices on cake supplies.

cathyscakes Posted 14 May 2010 , 11:12pm
post #6 of 7

I know how you feel, the shipping is crazy these days. I ordered a flower veiner, one inch, piece of plastic, and the shipping is like 10.00, it could be put into a envelope, for the price of a postage stamp. Also, just because its cake related they jack up the price. A metal cookie cutter costs 50 cents, but a metal flower cutter is 15.00. I don't get it. The mark up must be enormous.

Melvira Posted 14 May 2010 , 11:27pm
post #7 of 7

I buy everything online because there are NO cake supply stores in this state that I can find. (Except of course the big-name craft stores you've named with their limited supplies.) You have to shop around and find deals, or you will be paying out the nose. And get referrals from people as to where you can find trustworthy sources. I'm sometimes afraid to order from a new place until I know someone else has shopped there. Best of luck to you!! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%