Overlapping Horizontal Buttercream "ribbons"

Decorating By niccicola Updated 17 May 2010 , 11:12pm by niccicola

niccicola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Posted 14 May 2010 , 9:40pm
post #1 of 8

I know this has been covered before, but I can't find the original thread.

I have been asked to make this wedding cake.

I'm thinking I should use the Icing Tip, flat side, and just pipe all the way around, from bottom to top, slightly overlapping?

Should I crumb coat first or do a thick buttercream coat underneath?

Should I let it crust or hurry up and stack it, ice it, and hope it doesn't slide?

I have to drive this cake 45 minutes south in early-July...eek! So, I figure I should complete the cake and take it with me. It will be 3 tiers. Did I get in over my head with this one?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!
LL

7 replies
JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 14 May 2010 , 10:35pm
post #2 of 8

I have no advice for you. icon_redface.gif I just wanted to say that it's a beautiful cake and I'd love to see your completed one. Also, who put the OMG commentary on the photo? Was that the bride because she loved it, or you because you're intimidated by it? icon_lol.gif

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 14 May 2010 , 10:38pm
post #3 of 8

I cant see the cake :0(

onlymadaresane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onlymadaresane Posted 15 May 2010 , 1:22am
post #4 of 8

Why not do that in fondant- I know it says buttercream, but I almost think it'd be easier. (but I could be very wrong!)

Maybe a small trial run?

niccicola Posted 17 May 2010 , 1:49pm
post #5 of 8

The bride wrote "OMG" on it because it was her #1 favorite. She brought me a bunch of photos and I told her to pick one she wanted and it was this one.

I was thinking of doing it in fondant as well. I only do fondant covered cakes and she did sample my MMF...but I thought if this was done in BC then i would suck it up and do it in BC.

I guess, make strips of fondant and roll one edge under to make it look ribbon-like?

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 17 May 2010 , 6:50pm
post #6 of 8

I don't have any good advice....but I just wanted to say that I *think* the magazine is wrong and that cake was done in fondant. (Especially if it's a dummy cake made for a magazine shoot, those are nearly always fondant that can be saved for later and won't "melt" under the hot lights of the photographer's studio.)

Could be wrong, just my 2 cents. icon_cool.gif

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 17 May 2010 , 9:38pm
post #7 of 8

No luck finding a close up of that particular cake, but here's a close up of similar one from justscrumptious.co.uk

http://www.justscrumptious.co.uk/WhiteChocolateSwag.jpg

niccicola Posted 17 May 2010 , 11:12pm
post #8 of 8

Antonia74...i thought the SAME thing!

7yyrt...Hm, so maybe not individual ribbons as much as it's just "crumpled" fondant, swag-like...OK, i can do that...it seems to be coming together a bit more!

Thanks to everyone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%