Patent Leather

Decorating By Soniabean Updated 17 May 2010 , 6:37pm by Soniabean

Soniabean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Soniabean Posted 14 May 2010 , 9:29pm
post #1 of 9

Hi,
I am making a gumpaste high heel shoe and I would like it to have a black patent leather look. Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way for me to go about this? I have heard using confectioners glaze or corn syrup and alcohol works, but I wonder if it would keep the shoe sticky. Thanks in advance,
Sonia

8 replies
Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 14 May 2010 , 9:47pm
post #2 of 9

They sell like a finishing glaze spray, but I've never tried it before....

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 14 May 2010 , 10:02pm
post #3 of 9

Someone on here said they use airbrush colors to paint with and they give off a shine. Also, you could try putting a coating of shortening on the fondant. Apply it with a paper towel. Wipe off the excess.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 14 May 2010 , 10:36pm
post #4 of 9

I use the edible varnish (recipe found on CC). It comes out looking exactly like patent leather and dries to a non sticky finish. You can sort of see it on the shoes and belt on the Santa cake in my pics, but it doesn't really capture how well it worked.

The only thing is you need to keep it hot as you paint it on because it gels up pretty quickly when cooled and you'll have problems. I keep it in a heated saucepan as I work and it goes on smooth as silk.

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 14 May 2010 , 10:58pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by artscallion

I use the edible varnish (recipe found on CC). It comes out looking exactly like patent leather and dries to a non sticky finish. You can sort of see it on the shoes and belt on the Santa cake in my pics, but it doesn't really capture how well it worked.

The only thing is you need to keep it hot as you paint it on because it gels up pretty quickly when cooled and you'll have problems. I keep it in a heated saucepan as I work and it goes on smooth as silk.

wow maybe a fondue machine will work?

elliebuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elliebuff Posted 15 May 2010 , 12:10am
post #6 of 9

I did a couple of the gumpaste high heeled shoes and painted them with a half-half mixture of corn syrup and gin. The gin makes the corn syrup spreadable, then evaporates off. It takes a day to dry, though, so you need some time to use this method. It came out better than I had hoped for--just like patent leather! You can see both shoes in my pictures...

Makeitmemorable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Makeitmemorable Posted 16 May 2010 , 1:02pm
post #7 of 9

Here is a bag I did recently

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1665911.html

I made it shiny like patent leather - I mixed 1/4 cup vodka with 1 tablespoon of liquid glucose - mix it together and then paint it on.

It drys quickly and gives a great shine, hope this helps,

Good luck,

Kim thumbs_up.gif

iletmn0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iletmn0 Posted 16 May 2010 , 11:30pm
post #8 of 9

The edible varnish (laquer) will work, you can also use piping gel or clear pastry glaze.

Soniabean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Soniabean Posted 17 May 2010 , 6:37pm
post #9 of 9

Thank you all for help! I will let you know which I try and post pictures soon!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%