Help!!! Pillar Cake

Decorating By stsapph Updated 14 May 2010 , 10:50pm by leah_s

stsapph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stsapph Posted 14 May 2010 , 8:52pm
post #1 of 8

Ok ladies (and gents), I need your help.

I am doing my first pillar cake as a wedding gift for a friend. The wedding is tomorrow and I have been a busy girl with all my baking, filling and icing. So, I get to the tier that will be supporting the pillars and go to get the plate to mark where I will need to put support. That is when I realize, I have an 8" cake and an 8" plate! They don't sell any smaller plates locally, nor do they have the push in pillars that don't require a plate. How am I supposed to decorate this without the plate being completely obvious? She is having a beach wedding, so I was going to put white chocolate sea shells between the two tiers. Should I re-bake and make a 10" cake, though that will throw off the proportions of the cake (I was doing a 12/8/6), or is there a way to hide the plate? Please Help!! Here is the link to the picture that she sent me as inspiration, maybe that will help.
http://www.favorideas.com/images/beachfavors-mon1-lg.jpg

TIA!
Amber

7 replies
LilaLoa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LilaLoa Posted 14 May 2010 , 9:10pm
post #2 of 8

Is the cake going to be covered in fondant? Can you put the plate on top of the cake before you cover that layer in fondant? Or cover like you normally would and then put a circle of fondant on top of the plate before you put the pillars in?

stsapph Posted 14 May 2010 , 9:20pm
post #3 of 8

She doesn't want fondant, but I thought about that just to hide it. Still might be the trick..we'll see. Thanks!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 14 May 2010 , 9:49pm
post #4 of 8

6/8/12 is already off proportion. How about baking a 9"?

stsapph Posted 14 May 2010 , 10:02pm
post #5 of 8

'Cuz I'm blonde and completely forgot that I had that size!( and had previously reasoned the the 6" wouldn't look out of proportion because it was in the air.) lol! Ok, off to bake another cake. I'm sure the people I work with will enjoy the 8". Thanks!

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 14 May 2010 , 10:08pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by stsapph

Should I re-bake and make a 10" cake, though that will throw off the proportions of the cake (I was doing a 12/8/6)

Brilliant... that's a great idea to bake a 10", if you have the time (if driving to buy the correct size plate isn't an option). I think the proportions are actually better by stacking a 12 x 10, and having a 10 x 6 separated. If you were to separate two tiers that are only 2" difference from one another (like in your example of 8" x 6" using a 7" plate), they tend to look too tall and towering. When separating tiers with a 4" difference, it's a more gradual angle that looks more sturdy.

BTW, it looks like the photo is either 12/10/6 or 14/10/6 (3-layers tall instead of 2).

sheilabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilabelle Posted 14 May 2010 , 10:48pm
post #7 of 8

Just for future reference - This happened to me once and I made my own plate by using foam core and hot glueing cut dowel to for the pillars to fit over. Worked like a charm.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 14 May 2010 , 10:50pm
post #8 of 8

Waitaminit. I thought she was switching to a 6/9/12.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%