What Is The One Thing You Can't Bake Or Cook?

Lounge By mellormom Updated 16 Mar 2015 , 2:46am by remnant3333

travmand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
travmand Posted 14 Dec 2014 , 3:11am
post #61 of 102

Banana bread 

:x

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 14 Dec 2014 , 3:33am
post #62 of 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by kakeladi 

I don't do anything using yeast :(   Won't even try any more. 

for someone like you, may I recommend my absolute positively favorite all time decades old book from 'Fleischman' yeast.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0848712250/?tag=cakecentral-20

It is for beginners and old timers.  I have bought three copies over the years and it has never failed me.  I love yeast breads of all sorts.  Take a peek.

MBalaska Posted 14 Dec 2014 , 3:40am
post #63 of 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by travmand 

Banana bread 

:x

@eme926 posted the recipe that I also have used for decades with excellent results.  Take a look at this thread.  It only takes a few minutes to mix up and it's delicious.

http://www.cakecentral.com/t/584467/banana-bread-betty-crocker-cookbook-1970s-recipe

Quote: eme926

I did find one at a yard sale that was a year or so newer and I'll post the recipe that's in it. It's Betty's New and revised edition.

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/3 cup milk
1 egg
1 1/4 cups mashed bananas (2 to 3 medium)

Heat oven to 350. Grease bottom only of loaf pan. Mix all ingredients, beat at 30 seconds. Pour into pans. Bake until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 65 to 70 minutes. Cool slightly, Loosen sides of loaf from pan, remove from poan. Cool completely before slicing...(yeah right)

I'll add one thing.  I put a foil tent on the loaves until the last 15 minutes of baking.

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 15 Dec 2014 , 7:50am
post #64 of 102

ARice was always my no no to make until my friend recently gave me a great tip: Wash the rice until water is clear, soak for 30 mins in water, wash again. Put water and rice (1.5:1 ratio) in a pot, add salt (and spices if desired), close with a tide fitting lid (I simply put a can of whatever on top), bring to the boil, boil slightly for 5 mins and remove from heat. Set aside with lid still on. After 25 mins you have perfectly cooked, fluffy rice :D

cakebaby2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby2 Posted 23 Dec 2014 , 9:06pm
post #65 of 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by julia1812 

Rice was always my no no to make until my friend recently gave me a great tip:
Wash the rice until water is clear, soak for 30 mins in water, wash again. Put water and rice (1.5:1 ratio) in a pot, add salt (and spices if desired), close with a tide fitting lid (I simply put a can of whatever on top), bring to the boil, boil slightly for 5 mins and remove from heat. Set aside with lid still on. After 25 mins you have perfectly cooked, fluffy rice icon_biggrin.gif

I lived in Middle east on and off for a few years and the ease of the rice always got me.The mama's washed it thoroughly, soaked it and steamed the thing in very little water with a lid on. Perfect every time. I'd be fidgeting "watch your rice" and they would be gossiping on. a cute little spinner got used too.

Of course it was always a Basmati type, Japanese rice is a whole different animal LOL !

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 24 Dec 2014 , 12:59am
post #66 of 102

Fudge.  Real fudge, not the cheats condensed milk or marshmallow kind.  I think I overbeat it.  It still tastes fine but the texture is wrong.

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 24 Dec 2014 , 12:38pm
post #67 of 102

Brownies. Can not get them to work, either leave them in too long or take them out too early. Just can not get them right.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 24 Dec 2014 , 1:49pm
post #68 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire138 

Brownies. Can not get them to work, either leave them in too long or take them out too early. Just can not get them right.

Many years ago as a teenager I was invited to a friend's house for dinner so I made a pan of brownies for dessert. I cut them to place in the box and realized they were not fully baked. I didn't know what else to do so I just brought them with me. After dinner I mentioned to my friend about the unbaked brownies and she replied. "My mom said they are overbaked."    

Claire138 Posted 24 Dec 2014 , 1:57pm
post #69 of 102

Thanks Mimi that made me laugh! Mine are definitely one or the other though, it's or leaking raw batter or tasting something like cake but not quite. Ashamed to say that the brownies have beaten me down, I haven't tried to make them in years...

cazza1 Posted 24 Dec 2014 , 2:13pm
post #70 of 102

Don't let them get to you Claire, get stubborn.  I try to make fudge every 6 months or so.  Occasionally I get it right but I can't do it consistently.  It drives me bonkers.

Claire138 Posted 24 Dec 2014 , 2:16pm
post #71 of 102

Fudge? you're braver than I am! You're right though, I guess I'll try again once vacation is over. I'm determined this holiday time to do nothing more strenuous in the kitchen than make a cup of coffee - doing quite well with this resolution at the moment. Very pleased with myself:D

LNW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LNW Posted 12 Jan 2015 , 3:56am
post #72 of 102

AI can't make fudge either. Oldest dd wanted to make dad a special dessert last week so I told her to go pick out a recipe from one of my books and go for it. She picked fudge. She NAILED IT!!! 1st try! I didn't mention that I've never successfully made it before. Can't let my 13yo beat me at baking...

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 14 Jan 2015 , 8:19am
post #73 of 102

Interesting how many people can't make the same things.  I guess it's good to know we're not alone and can bond in our incompetence.  I would have to say scratch brownies.  I just can't find a recipe that is as good as a box mix.  I want the rich gooeyness and that elusive papery crackling top.  Scratch recipes always look dull and flat.

MBalaska Posted 14 Jan 2015 , 8:30am
post #74 of 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pastrybaglady 

Interesting how many people can't make the same things.  I guess it's good to know we're not alone and can bond in our incompetence.  I would have to say scratch brownies.  I just can't find a recipe that is as good as a box mix.  I want the rich gooeyness and that elusive papery crackling top.  Scratch recipes always look dull and flat.

That's why we invented fudge icing   lol.

den163 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
den163 Posted 14 Jan 2015 , 8:55am
post #75 of 102

AI can never make nice crispy meringue!

MimiFix Posted 14 Jan 2015 , 1:27pm
post #76 of 102

I make brownies using my Tunnel of Fudge recipe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastrybaglady 

... I would have to say scratch brownies.  I just can't find a recipe that is as good as a box mix.  I want the rich gooeyness and that elusive papery crackling top.  Scratch recipes always look dull and flat.

I make awesome brownies using my Tunnel of Fudge recipe. Then recently I started frosting them with a chocolate sour cream icing; gained five pounds so maybe I need to stop baking brownies... @MBalaska

Pastrybaglady Posted 15 Jan 2015 , 6:21am
post #77 of 102

A@MimiFix, actually I haven't tried to make brownies in a while. I have your book, maybe it's time to give it another whirl!

MBalaska Posted 15 Jan 2015 , 7:33am
post #78 of 102

Well a quick cheat topper for brownies is just to put some chocolate chips on the top, right out of the oven, let them melt, then spread them with a spatula.  Who could not eat a brownie????

kaylasmom8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaylasmom8 Posted 15 Jan 2015 , 4:02pm
post #79 of 102

APineapple upside down cake.

dkltll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dkltll Posted 16 Jan 2015 , 8:25pm
post #80 of 102

Biscuits! I can bake my tail off when it comes to cake, brownies, fudge, desserts but for some reason I cannot seem to make a biscuit that is not a frisbee. Go figure. I don't feel quite so bad now after reading your stories. LOL

vanilla rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vanilla rose Posted 16 Jan 2015 , 9:05pm
post #81 of 102

AGood old fashioned San Fransisco sour dough bread has me stymied. I can't get it to taste sour. I've tried adding vinegar (different kind of sour) and double rising and letting my starter sit out longer and ferment, and folding into the bread the alcohol mixture that the starter creates as it ferments, but DH just looks at me and says, "it's good bread Love, it's just not sourdough" :/ ugh.

Pastrybaglady Posted 16 Jan 2015 , 9:56pm
post #82 of 102

A@vanilla rose: Do you actually live in San Francisco? I live in the Bay Area and have great success with baking bread. I went to Alaska to visit relatives and I made them bread - it did NOT taste the same! Whatever is in the air has a great impact on the flavor of the bread. Alaska air is too clean :grin: This is why SF sourdough is so special it can only be made there.

cazza1 Posted 31 Jan 2015 , 8:30am
post #83 of 102

...also vanillarose, how old is your starter.  Mine is 2 years old now and the bread has a distinctly sourer flavour than what it did in the first year, so maybe time is the key.

Claire138 Posted 1 Feb 2015 , 3:50pm
post #84 of 102

@ Mimi & Cazza - Success at last! Made brownies from David Lebovitz's book, I followed every instruction down to the T (except for the nuts bc I didn't have any - will rectify this for next time), they came out amazing. Not a crumb left:D

CookieNibz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieNibz Posted 1 Feb 2015 , 8:34pm
post #85 of 102

A

Original message sent by Tiffany29

chocolate no bake cookies. Mess 'em every time!

Omg, me too!!! The very, very 1st time I made them, they were perfect. How weird is that? I have never, not once, been able to get it right since! :/. Wish they weren't so good lol.

MimiFix Posted 2 Feb 2015 , 3:36pm
post #86 of 102
@Claire138 I couldn't always make consistently great brownies before I opened my shop. But once I became familiar with the do's and dont's of brownie making, I was fine. Now these chocolaty delights are the easiest thing for me to bake, especially the one-pot recipes. I really enjoy tweaking chocolate (cookie or cake) recipes and turning them into brownies. Unfortunately, I'm capable of eating numerous pieces in a short space of time, so now I only make them occasionally. These brownies have a toffee walnut topping.

Claire138 Posted 2 Feb 2015 , 8:45pm
post #87 of 102

They look and sound delicious Mimi, I too have found that I shall have to make them sparingly. My initial success has given to being completely over taken with them & I am churning them out like a cow at milking time:D

MBalaska Posted 3 Feb 2015 , 1:59am
post #88 of 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by MimiFix 

@Claire138 I couldn't always make consistently great brownies before I opened my shop. But once I became familiar with the do's and dont's of brownie making, I was fine. Now these chocolaty delights are the easiest thing for me to bake, especially the one-pot recipes. I really enjoy tweaking chocolate (cookie or cake) recipes and turning them into brownies. Unfortunately, I'm capable of eating numerous pieces in a short space of time, so now I only make them occasionally. These brownies have a toffee walnut topping.

It might take me forever, but someday I'm going to New York and eating myself silly at your bakery @MimiFix  ha ha ha ha ha

sewsugarqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewsugarqueen Posted 4 Feb 2015 , 12:10am
post #89 of 102

Eggs , any which way, and coffee.  Since I never eat eggs--only use them as binders in cooking have no clue what they should taste like or texture.  Same for coffee , my parents made tea, so the few times I did make coffee the spoon could have stood straight up.   If I don't or won't eat it then I probably have no clue how to make it.  Staff at the bakery has to always check the taste of custard or coconut for me since I would never know if it is fresh, good or horrid.:P

sewsugarqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewsugarqueen Posted 4 Feb 2015 , 12:12am
post #90 of 102

Those sour dough tastes could also be different if you used different flour brands  or the water.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%