What Do You Do With The Wires?

Decorating By KayMc Updated 14 May 2010 , 11:21pm by jammjenks

KayMc Posted 14 May 2010 , 7:27pm
post #1 of 5

Please remember I am brand new at this, so if this question seems absurd, well..... just remember I'm new. icon_confused.gif

I'm following books and videos in my quest to learn how to make gumpaste flowers. With many of the flowers, you have a wire in the middle as part of the process. When I'm ready to do the decorating, do I just cut the wire off flush with the flower? I know sticking wires in cakes is not the thing to do due to lead, so I'm guessing this is what you do if you're not making a bouquet with stems??? Thanks...

4 replies
catlharper Posted 14 May 2010 , 7:38pm
post #2 of 5

No matter if you are making single flowers or are grouping them into sprays you will want to make sure the wire doesn't come in contact with the cake. You could cut the wire off but then it makes it harder to adhere to the cake, not impossible, just harder. What I commonly do is just insert coffee stirrers where I want the flowers and then stick the wires into the stirrers. They are food grade and keep the wire off the cake. With sprays you can wrap the wire with floral tape and then use a smaller straw to hold it inside the cake.

Good luck!

leah_s Posted 14 May 2010 , 7:55pm
post #3 of 5

coffee stirrers or straws. Or I just use the prewrapped wire. Yep, livin' dangerously.

KayMc Posted 14 May 2010 , 9:46pm
post #4 of 5

Wow, I'm pretty surprised. Shows what I know! I really expected that everyone cut the wires off. Thanks for clarifying the issue for me.

jammjenks Posted 14 May 2010 , 11:21pm
post #5 of 5

I just stick the wire right into the cake. I know that is a faux pas on here.

Silk flowers? Yep, they go right into the cake too.

::ducks from flying debris::

Quote by @%username% on %date%