I Need An Alternative For Buttermilk Asap!!!

Baking By Jolis_Gateaux-2009 Updated 14 May 2010 , 7:50pm by Chippi

Jolis_Gateaux-2009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jolis_Gateaux-2009 Posted 14 May 2010 , 6:47pm
post #1 of 14

I just just realized that tomorrow is my Mom and Dad's 45th Wedding Anniversary. So I turned on the oven then raced to my pantry and fridge to pull things out as I gathered "Big Red", my Kitchenaid Pro 600 (not an original name but just as affectionately named as one of my children), and the pans I would need to make my Dad's favorite cake. It's so old that we just call it "Dad's Cake". LOL. It is very similar to an Italian Creme or Tropical Cake.

Here is the dilema: I don't have any buttermilk in the house right now and I need to put it baking now so I can soon leave to pick the kids up at school 3:00. Let say now that I know how to make sour milk with white vinegar. Here is the problem......no milk! One of my DC left two drops in the jug in the fridge after breakfast this morning!!!!!!!!!! All my neighbors work and it will take me 15 minutes just to get to a store for milk. And I don't want to call my mom because its a surprise. I should also add that my son has a baseball game at 5:30 but has to be there for 4:30. I am running out of time. I am going put the frosting together while I wait for replies.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advace.

13 replies
dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 14 May 2010 , 6:48pm
post #2 of 14

8 oz milk to 1 tblspn of vinegar.. let it sit 20 min... done

hth

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 14 May 2010 , 6:49pm
post #3 of 14

yogurt? u can use yogurt

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 14 May 2010 , 6:50pm
post #4 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalis4joe

8 oz milk to 1 tblspn of vinegar.. let it sit 20 min... done

hth

ditto thumbs_up.gif or lemon juice

Jolis_Gateaux-2009 Posted 14 May 2010 , 6:52pm
post #5 of 14

"Here is the problem......no milk! One of my DC left two drops in the jug in the fridge after breakfast this morning!!!!!!!!!! All my neighbors work and it will take me 15 minutes just to get to a store for milk. And I don't want to call my mom because its a surprise. "

No milk in the house at all! Agh!!!!!!!!!

lilrhodybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilrhodybaker Posted 14 May 2010 , 6:54pm
post #6 of 14

I agree with the yougurt! How about cream or half and half instead? Would sour cream work?

CakesbyOma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyOma Posted 14 May 2010 , 7:00pm
post #7 of 14

I ususally keep a can or two of evapourated milk in my pantry. We live in the boonies, so if the electricity goes out, I at least have milk for my coffee!! Try using canned milk and add vinegar or lemon juice to it. Hope this helps!

Jolis_Gateaux-2009 Posted 14 May 2010 , 7:07pm
post #8 of 14

I do have evaporated milk and sour cream on hand. I need 1 Cup of buttermilk. Should I use one cup of sour cream? Do you cut the evaportated milk?

Ihave already mixed all the dry ingredients. I am just waiting on you guys. Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CookieD-oh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieD-oh Posted 14 May 2010 , 7:08pm
post #9 of 14

This won't help you right now, but this is why I always keep a box of dry milk in the pantry. thumbs_up.gif Not so good for drinking, but fine for baking emergencies.
Also, if your grocer carries it, you can get dry buttermilk, too. Anyway, just an fyi for future emergency cakes.

CakesbyOma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyOma Posted 14 May 2010 , 7:10pm
post #10 of 14

Buttermilk is usually thicker than normal milk, so if it were me, I would leave the canned milk alone, just add the vinegar or lemon juice. If the milk looks thicker than the buttermilk add a little water. Can't do any harm, just add a few drops at a time. Good luck!! Let me know how it works out for you.

Jolis_Gateaux-2009 Posted 14 May 2010 , 7:34pm
post #11 of 14

It is in and on go! Thanks for the help. I was worried about it being too thick so I did cut it by 2:1 (2/3C EM to 1/3C H2O). I added 1 TBSP lemon juice. It looked okay.......so cross your fingers.

Thanks for the tips especially the one about the dry milk. I will pick it up after I pick up the heathens from school.

sweet_honesty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_honesty Posted 14 May 2010 , 7:36pm
post #12 of 14

I use half cup evaporated milk and half cup water + 1 tbsp vinegar. Buttermilk isn't the cheapest thing here and I use that substitute all the time for my chocolate cake recipe. HTH

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 14 May 2010 , 7:47pm
post #13 of 14

They also make a powdered buttermilk you can keep in the fridge for emergancies. icon_smile.gif

Chippi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chippi Posted 14 May 2010 , 7:50pm
post #14 of 14

Walmart sells dry mix of buttermilk in the baking isle. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%