Diabetic Recipes

Baking By tazmycat Updated 17 May 2010 , 3:27pm by Joyfull4444

tazmycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tazmycat Posted 14 May 2010 , 3:38pm
post #1 of 8

Hey, My husband has just been dx w/ Adult Onset Type 2 Diabetes. He loves sweets. Anyone have any great recipes using Splenda or Stevia, or anything else that he could eat. TIA. Vick

7 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 14 May 2010 , 4:23pm
post #2 of 8

Have you tried looking at this website: http://www.diabetes.org/

tazmycat Posted 14 May 2010 , 6:29pm
post #3 of 8

Thx. Hadn't thought of that one.

TexasSugar Posted 14 May 2010 , 6:35pm
post #4 of 8

That would be my first place to look. Especially since the Diabetic diet isn't just about cutting sugar.

Hopefully you can find some yummy recipes on there. icon_smile.gif

Since you said he likes sweets I would warn you about being careful buying sugar free candies and chocolates. There are some good ones out there, but if you eat too many of them they can cause tummy problems.

Joyfull4444 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joyfull4444 Posted 14 May 2010 , 10:37pm
post #5 of 8

My DH has Type 2 also. Its not just cutting down the sugars. Baking ingredients, flour, milk etc also add up as they contain carbs & carbs are one thing that needs to be controlled.
Best advice I can give is to attend some classes at your local Diabetes clinic or hospital, & talk with the nutritionist, as being dx with diabetes can be pretty overwhelming. I know it was for me & my DH.

Its surprising what you find out that you've always thought is good for you, is not so good for you anymore if you're a type 2 diabetic. Glasses of fruit juice, certain whole fruits like banana's large oranges, cantelope and other melons. High starch, high carb, veggies like potatoes, corn, peas & carrots. Fat intake needs to be watched & controlled also.

Just picking up a diabetic cookbook & making a recipe here and there doesn't really do it as you need to keep track of each meal and snack throughout the day to keep the blood sugar under control. My DH eats ordinary cake, not diabetic. If he's going to have a small piece of cake, he plans for it by cutting back on the starches in his meal to accomidate the cake.

The website posted by TexasSugar is a good one. I bounced between that one and the Canadian Diabetes website a lot when my DH was first diagnosed some years ago. They both have improved a lot since then too.

Diabetes is a whole new lifestyle of eating and living really. You and your DH need to educate yourselves on diabetes as much as you can. It might seem daunting at first but the more you know the healthier you'll be. thumbs_up.gif

tazmycat Posted 17 May 2010 , 1:41pm
post #6 of 8

Hey, Joyfull and Texas Sugar, Thx. for the info. We went to buy groceries Sat. and it took about 2 hours to read ingredients, convince him that he couldn't buy a lot of candy anymore, etc. He's trying.... Thx. again

TexasSugar Posted 17 May 2010 , 2:36pm
post #7 of 8

It will take some time to get use to it. My grandma has been diabetic for as long as I remember. It does get easier and you learn what things are okay and what things are not.

As Joyfull said, I'd look into some classes in the area. Contact the Dr and see if they can give you information on when and where they are.

Joyfull4444 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joyfull4444 Posted 17 May 2010 , 3:27pm
post #8 of 8

Yes, as TexasSugar says, it does get easier the more you learn. Good to hear you & your DH are taking the time to read the labels! Thats a great start as it can be a bit of a shocker to actually see whats in the foods we're so used to eating.

Keep up the good work tazmycat! All the best to you & your DH!! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%