Wired Fondant Decorations

Decorating By paradisepalms Updated 14 May 2010 , 4:49pm by PattyT

paradisepalms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paradisepalms Posted 14 May 2010 , 1:41pm
post #1 of 3

I was wondering if any one could offer advice on the best material to use to suspend fondat decorations on a cake. My plan was to use wire stuck into the cake with fondant hearts hanging on the end. Has anyone worked with any different types of wire or anything that could suggest what I might be most successful with. I would like to it look pretty but also not tear through the cake or wilt.... any help out there???? Thanks in advance!! icon_smile.gif

2 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 14 May 2010 , 3:59pm
post #2 of 3

I use floral wire for my decorations and "coffee" straws inserted in the cake to stick them into so the wire isn't touching my cake.

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 14 May 2010 , 4:49pm
post #3 of 3

I'm curious if anyone has seen the cake wires that are part of the Duff line at Michael's. The store nearest me doesn't carry any of it, but I get their emails and saw that the spiral shaped wires were being sold as part of the full line of products. It looked like about 10 in a package.

Are there instructions on the package telling people how to use them? If they are selling at consumer level, they have to assume people will just stick them in the cake, so are they food safe?

Edited to add:

Here's the link. http://www.michaels.com/art/online/displayProductPage?productNum=bk0402

They say "Simply insert into your cake..."

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%