What Am I Doing Wrong???? (Gems) And, Why Isomalt Vs. Sugar?

Sugar Work By chillysmommy Updated 18 May 2010 , 9:04pm by tavyheather

chillysmommy Posted 14 May 2010 , 1:37pm
post #1 of 9

I have the plastic mold (med/small) by AutumnCarpenter. I am using a sugar (not isolmalt) recipe I found on both Global sugar and Country kitchen's websites. By the time I get the syrup to the right temperature (300º) it's too thick to pour and as soon as it leaves the pot (either in a measuring cup for pouring, or the funnel with stopper) it cools to the point of gobbing out and I can't get it to come out in a droplet. HELP!

I've tried it two times, first time waiting until the temp dropped to 265 like one recipe said, and then last night I went straight from the 300 mark and it ended up the same.... UGH

Second question: I am hesitant about buying isomalt (money is tight) so I figured since there are sugar recipes, why not use sugar instead of isomalt... wouldn't I get the same results with isomalt as I have been above???

I need only dark pink small diamond shape gems and I can only find mixed packages even if I wanted to buy them premade. SO, I thought I could make them at home.... HELP!

Thanks in advance - michele

8 replies
labakingnena Posted 14 May 2010 , 6:13pm
post #2 of 9
chillysmommy Posted 14 May 2010 , 7:14pm
post #3 of 9

Thanks, I'll try that one! Anyone know why so many people use isomalt instead of sugar?

Jeannem Posted 14 May 2010 , 8:53pm
post #4 of 9

I'm thinking most are using isomalt if they want CLEAR gems--it doesn't yellow..
I totally swear by the Lorannoils.com microwave recipe that uses just sugar and corn syrup--heat in a measuring cup w/cling film on top....it works every time, is fast, and doesn't make a massive amount. The clear gems are a tad cloudy, but all the colors I've made have come out fabulous--just use a very tiny amount of color at first can add more if you need it darker.

dchockeyguy Posted 14 May 2010 , 8:56pm
post #5 of 9

Sugar has impurities in it. To get good sugar, you need to skim off the impurities while it is cooking. Isomalt doesn't have those impurities.

chillysmommy Posted 15 May 2010 , 4:54am
post #6 of 9

ok, I get it. THANKS. I'm doing dark pink so yellowing isn't a concern. I will try again. icon_smile.gif

tavyheather Posted 18 May 2010 , 5:16am
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannem

I'm thinking most are using if they want CLEAR gems--it doesn't yellow..
I totally swear by the Lorannoils.com microwave recipe that uses just sugar and corn syrup--heat in a measuring cup w/cling film on top....it works every time, is fast, and doesn't make a massive amount. The clear gems are a tad cloudy, but all the colors I've made have come out fabulous--just use a very tiny amount of color at first can add more if you need it darker.

I'm thinking of trying this recipe...sorry to hijack, but I want to just make this and drop droplets onto a surface to make round "gems"...dont want to involve molds and was thinking I could do it with gelatin (forgot it evaporates and almost completely flattens)...will a drop stay its nice half-sphere shape?

chillysmommy Posted 18 May 2010 , 1:54pm
post #8 of 9

The recipes did work for me, thanks everyone. I was just trying to pour them and for me the syrup gets cold as soon as it leaves the pan so it gobs and doesn't come out thin but gobs. Even on a toothpick, after dipping in pan on the stove and taking to the counter it trailed a tail (kind of like hot glue). I don't know if I'm doing it wrong still but I've had success by holding the mold or board above the warming pan, dipped a pin (for my tiny gems mold) into the pan and went up to the mold without a trail. I can make the droplets this way too, used a corsage pin for tiny, toothpick for bigger sized drops, skewer for even bigger, etc. and they do stay round. Just be sure to keep them out of humidity because they do 'melt'. I'm in central florida and the last few days it's been rainy and sticky. the gems don't like it at all. lol

tavyheather Posted 18 May 2010 , 9:04pm
post #9 of 9

thanks! I'll be trying it today...toothpick and skewer!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%