What Do You Use To Steam A Cake?

Decorating By bluejeannes Updated 15 May 2010 , 4:26pm by bluejeannes

bluejeannes Posted 14 May 2010 , 1:01pm
post #1 of 10

I don't have a hand held steamer, or any steamer for that matter, and I was wondering what I can use to steam my fondant? Usually I just use a pot of boiling water, but it soaks through the cardboard I use under the cake, and it's a big pain! Plus, this cake is much larger than the ones I have steamed this way. Any help would be appreciated!!

9 replies
cakesbymark Posted 14 May 2010 , 1:17pm
post #2 of 10

fabric steamer is what i use you can get them very cheap at a target or walmart some less than $20 i paid $28 for mine and it was worth it...gl

bluejeannes Posted 14 May 2010 , 1:49pm
post #3 of 10

ya, I plan on buying one in the near future! But for right now, I have this cake waiting to be steamed and Im not sure how to do it!

mamawrobin Posted 14 May 2010 , 2:22pm
post #4 of 10

I've read on here that someone used their iron's steam setting. I'm not sure just how they did it but maybe they'll see this thread and chime in. I use a clothes steamer that I bought at wal-mart for $15.00.

dalis4joe Posted 14 May 2010 , 3:14pm
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

I've read on here that someone used their iron's steam setting. I'm not sure just how they did it but maybe they'll see this thread and chime in. I use a clothes steamer that I bought at wal-mart for $15.00.

I DO!!

I bought a clothe steamer and it kept dripping...so one day... DH said.... u should try the iron.... we alsways use the steam setting and it never drips...so I took a chance and steamed with my regular iron on steam setting.....

AMAZING!!! perfectly done... super shiny... looked sticky... but u touched it and it was super dry.... now it's all I use.... I even use the iron for my flower petals now.... no more boiling water or using the electric tea kettle....

hth
thumbs_up.gif

mamawrobin Posted 14 May 2010 , 3:19pm
post #6 of 10

Thanks dalis...knew I should've known who but couldn't remember for the life of me. icon_lol.gif Now I can stop racking my brain trying to remember. thumbs_up.gif

dalis4joe Posted 14 May 2010 , 3:22pm
post #7 of 10

I know the feeling.... I have been trying to find a post that leah did about burping the cake.. and I can't remember the title for nothing... I have searched and searched and it's driving me nuts lol

mamawrobin Posted 14 May 2010 , 3:42pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalis4joe

I know the feeling.... I have been trying to find a post that leah did about burping the cake.. and I can't remember the title for nothing... I have searched and searched and it's driving me nuts lol

Is it the "my new trick" thread??

Shalott Posted 15 May 2010 , 2:00am
post #9 of 10

AMAZING!!! perfectly done... super shiny... looked sticky... but u touched it and it was super dry.... now it's all I use.... I even use the iron for my flower petals now.... no more boiling water or using the electric tea kettle....

Excuse my ignorance, but why do you steam flower petals? Is it just for the shine?

bluejeannes Posted 15 May 2010 , 4:26pm
post #10 of 10

oh! I never thought of an iron before! Great! Thanks!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%