What Is The Difference

Baking By stelselv Updated 14 May 2010 , 12:34pm by nelikate

stelselv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stelselv Posted 14 May 2010 , 9:50am
post #1 of 9

Hi guys,

I can't get these 2 ingredients at my stores, i live in Europe..

I was wondering if meringue powder and egg whiite powder are the same??

and

what is the substitute to buttermilk??

thanks

8 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 14 May 2010 , 10:22am
post #2 of 9

i dont know about buttermilk - when its just been a few spoonfuls, i have used regular milk, but i wouldnt chance that for bigger quantities.

as far as i know meringue powder and egg white powder are the same.

what country are you in?
xx

cakemom42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemom42 Posted 14 May 2010 , 10:32am
post #3 of 9

That's a good question :0)
There are not the same but for making icing yes you can interchnage them. (Meringue powder has dried egg whites in it along with other things, egg white powder is dehydrated egg whites.)

To make buttermilk take regular milk (a cup or so) & add 1 Tablespoon white vinegar to it... let set about a couple of minutes & you have buttermilk (or sour milk) :0) you can also used lemon juice instead of vinegar.

If you are military you can get meringue powder at the PX, if not try ordering it online from Walmart.
Hope this is what you are looking for??? :0)

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 14 May 2010 , 10:50am
post #4 of 9

tablespoon of lemon juice to milk to make 1 cup, stir and let sit for 15 minutes, to make buttermilk

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 14 May 2010 , 11:08am
post #5 of 9

thanks for the buttermilk recipe, also had no idea about that.

dont have merignue powder or egg white powder here in aust. (that i know of) so i just risk it with pavlova magic... =/
rebellious me...

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 14 May 2010 , 11:26am
post #6 of 9

Have you tried posting the egg white title with a topic title more specific, like - Getting egg whites in Australia -

You might get some more hits that way. I think there are quite a few people from Australia here.

You can also make your own butter. The liquid that is left over from doing that is buttermilk. I don't know how much cream it takes to yield how much buttermilk. But if you google "make your own butter" there are several sites that show it and one that has a real funny video.

Also what do you need the egg whites or meringue powder for? If it's SMBC you heat the egg whites from anywhere to 140 to 165 depending on where you read the correct temperature. That kills any bacteria also.

nelikate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nelikate Posted 14 May 2010 , 11:28am
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by noahsmummy

dont have merignue powder or egg white powder here in aust. (that i know of) so i just risk it with pavlova magic... =/
rebellious me...

Noahsmummy we do have meringue power its just too expensive to bother buying! To get egg white power buy egg power such as Organ no egg and follow the directions on the pack for egg white only.

But I'm curious, does the pavlova magic work?

Nel

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 14 May 2010 , 12:15pm
post #8 of 9

haha ohk, where abouts do you get it from? and ive never heard of organ no egg?

i think it makes a slight difference actually! i use it when i make the viva method crusting buttercream recipe on this site, and find that the icing crusts much better when i use it!

nelikate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nelikate Posted 14 May 2010 , 12:34pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by noahsmummy

haha ohk, where abouts do you get it from? and ive never heard of organ no egg?

i think it makes a slight difference actually! i use it when i make the viva method crusting buttercream recipe on this site, and find that the icing crusts much better when i use it!

Ooh I'm going to have to try that. Organ no egg can be found in the health food section of your supermarket. the meringue powder can be found at cake deco in Melbourne but anyone who sells Wilton tend to sell Wilton meringue powder too.

I haven't tried it though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%