Would You Do This?????

Decorating By cakesbymark Updated 14 May 2010 , 3:50pm by erinalicia

cakesbymark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbymark Posted 14 May 2010 , 9:41am
post #1 of 14

ok so i got a call last night to do a 1st birthday cake,customer wants to know if i can make this cake(tried to add thepic they sent me and its a very bad pic but not working) of a tinkerbell cake, the problem is they basicly onjly want a smash cake for the birthday girl as i asked about the party and was told they have a sheet cake already from the local grocery store bakery and they had called all the grocery store bakeries in the area ( walmart,sams hannaford ect...) about doing this cake and they all said no as its not in their book so thats why they called me, so i basicly said send me the pic but its not worth my while to do a smash cake for you as its basicly an over sized cupcake, so let me look at the pic and the smallest cake i will make for you is a 6inch round and its going to cost somewhere around $30
and she saids she is willing to pay as she really wants this cake for her daughter.....know this is before i even see the pic, so after looking at the pic its a tinkerbell figure laying on top of a what looks like a giant sunflower that looks like its made out of fondant, the cake is really simple to do and i would do it in buttercream only, so sorry for the long rant but what do you think.....i know michaels has a topper (candle) of tinkerbell so i could go that route and use only buttercream
to do the flower(no fondant for a 1yr old) would you do it for $30 6inch round single layer or 2 layer? TFL Mark

13 replies
sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 14 May 2010 , 9:51am
post #2 of 14

I usually take a single layer and cut it in half fill and decorate. If she is willing to pay 30.00 for a small cake and you think it is worth your time then do it. Now if it was difficult and would take to much time I would opt to say no. Maybe she should have ordered an awesome cake from you and not a Walmart cake. When my customers order first birthday cakes I usually throw in the smash cake for free.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 14 May 2010 , 10:39am
post #3 of 14

I wouldn't do it at any price if there is another cake there. I have a clause in my contract that states my cake is the only one to be served. You don't want people eating the grocery store cake thinking that you made it, your reputation is on the line.

cakesbymark Posted 14 May 2010 , 11:48am
post #4 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettreat101

I usually take a single layer and cut it in half fill and decorate. If she is willing to pay 30.00 for a small cake and you think it is worth your time then do it. Now if it was difficult and would take to much time I would opt to say no. Maybe she should have ordered an awesome cake from you and not a Walmart cake. When my customers order first birthday cakes I usually throw in the smash cake for free.

the cake will be easy to do but to have ordered a cheap sheet cake from
a grocery store but ask to have a small cake customly made from somewhere else..i just dont get people, thats why i quoted $30 for a 6in
as it would take no time at all to make, the cake is basicly iced blue with leaves piped as a bottom border with a few vines going up the sides with some drop flowers and a tinkerbell topper sitting on a giant sunflower that takes up the entire top of the cake(yellow pedals with a pink center in fondant) so decorating wise would take less than hour total and i would not do fondant at all.... all buttercream and i am like you as i usually do a smash cake for free, so when she said she already had a cake i told her i dont know if it would be worth my time to do anything smaller than a 6inch cake and pricing would be about $30....and i also dont cake for another cake being their so i said i would get back to her tonight as its for next weekend the 23rd......thx for the advice

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 14 May 2010 , 11:48am
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattycakesnj

I wouldn't do it at any price if there is another cake there. I have a clause in my contract that states my cake is the only one to be served. You don't want people eating the grocery store cake thinking that you made it, your reputation is on the line.

I couldn't understand why you do this until I read the part of people eating it. That makes sense because they don't know which cake they are eating if there are two present.

I still don't get this smash cake thing. We talked about this at the dinner table the other night and this is such a new concept to us. I'm going to have to research this further.

Sorry I can't help with the original question.

mandirombold Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandirombold Posted 14 May 2010 , 12:01pm
post #6 of 14

My smallest cake is a dbl layer 8in, unless they have ordered a cake FROM ME and then or course I also do a small smash cake.

diane223 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane223 Posted 14 May 2010 , 12:45pm
post #7 of 14

I would do it if she's willing to pay what you quoted her. You never know--she may be so pleased that you did the cake for her when noone else would that it could turn into more business for you in the long run.

kimblyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimblyd Posted 14 May 2010 , 1:01pm
post #8 of 14

I think your customer should give the grocery store sheet cake to baby and serve yours!

icon_biggrin.gif

cakesbymark Posted 14 May 2010 , 1:14pm
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimblyd

I think your customer should give the grocery store sheet cake to baby and serve yours!

icon_biggrin.gif

thumbs_up.gif

ajmccray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajmccray Posted 14 May 2010 , 1:25pm
post #10 of 14

I have also had people ask me just to do a smash cake and I've always said I don't do the smash cake unless I do the main party cake. I knew I wouldn't want to make a smash cake for little to no money it wouldn't be worth it to me. That being said, if they were willing to pay me $30 for a cake that would take little time to decorate, then sure, I'd do it. Like someone else said, she may be so grateful that she'll come to you first in the future. I say go for it if you have the time.

sherry_lyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherry_lyn Posted 14 May 2010 , 1:27pm
post #11 of 14

My minimum order is $40. If all they want is a little smash cake, it's still $40.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 14 May 2010 , 3:17pm
post #12 of 14

The smash cake is for the baby and it's not like they are going to have a sign posted saying that you made both of the cakes. I wouldn't worry about them confusing a grocery store cake with yours. I'm sure they will be able to see the difference in quality just by looking at them. Also the baby will be eating the smash cake not the guest's so they won't know the difference. If you don't feel comfortable doing the cake then just tell her no otherwise you could end up with extra business just by doing this one little cake. Did you try telling her that you normally don't take smash cake orders unless she orders her main cake from you? You might also throw in there that if she orders the birthday cake from you she would get a free smash cake. I'm sure she still has time to cancel the grocery store cake.

Butterpatty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Butterpatty Posted 14 May 2010 , 3:35pm
post #13 of 14

I agree with Sweettreat. The baby will be the one eating/playing in your cake so I do not see how it could affect your reputation unless the mom fibbed and said you did the sheet cake also. And I am the type of person that if you did the little cake for me, I would remember that favor and be more inclined to call you for my next cake(s).

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 14 May 2010 , 3:50pm
post #14 of 14

I think most people can tell the difference between a grocery store cake and the cake you are describing. If the baby is the only one who is going to "eat" (aka, smash to bits) then what does it matter? If momma wants to blow $30 on something that's just going to end up in the trash after her kid has a romp in it, that's her choice.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%