Do You Use Regular Digital Cameras For Your Cake Pictures

Decorating By Julie_S Updated 14 May 2010 , 6:33pm by Geechigirl

Julie_S Posted 14 May 2010 , 3:41am
post #1 of 13

Everyone's cake photos here are wonderful. The photography looks professional.
I have photos of my cakes but I used a disposable camera and the pics do not look good. At this point, if I'm going to take any pics, I might as well have good photography or what's the point?
Do you guys always take your pics of your cakes in the same place? Inside or outside? And digital cameras? I'm going to have to invest in one at this point but I don't know which one to get or how much to spend.
Thanks,
Julie

12 replies
Geechigirl Posted 14 May 2010 , 3:45am
post #2 of 13

I use a digital camera for all my pics. I have also found a spot in my house that lets in natural light that works best when taking pics.

Also, you should always be aware of your background. I went to the craft store and got a few yards of fabric and I use that on the table when I take my pictures.

chellescountrycakes Posted 14 May 2010 , 4:12am
post #3 of 13

My pics ALWAYS suck. I have got to read the book on this new digital camera.. My old one had a 'food' setting..

and the florecent bulbs really distort the color. I actually get better pictures going OUTSIDE, and setting the cakes on teh lowboy trailer...

I dont know how else to do it... icon_sad.gif

ninatat Posted 14 May 2010 , 4:23am
post #4 of 13

you can switch your resulation to 4 on your camera, try flash and no flash,

honuwebd Posted 14 May 2010 , 4:29am
post #5 of 13

It's all practice and a matter of finding what you like. Find a place in your home, and try the fabric idea (mentioned above).

sugarinspired Posted 14 May 2010 , 4:40am
post #6 of 13

i agree with the natural lighting. I have a dslr and love it. I think its worth every penny

redheadfairy2003 Posted 14 May 2010 , 5:02am
post #7 of 13

I use my IPhone untill I get a real camera. I allways check for best lighting and background and that helps.

KimAZ Posted 14 May 2010 , 5:22am
post #8 of 13

Hi,
I do use a digital camera for all my pictures. I've had a Kodak Easy Share in the past. I've found that by not using the flash, I get better pictures.
I don't know much about photography but here is another thread I started on taking better photos that may help.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=679821&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

KimAZ

tonedna Posted 14 May 2010 , 5:55am
post #9 of 13

I use a digital camera and I love it!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Teenz Posted 14 May 2010 , 6:58am
post #10 of 13

I use a digital slr and sit my cakes on a table out the front natural light!

tesso Posted 14 May 2010 , 7:14am
post #11 of 13

digital camera, with and without flash, and dark blue or dark green sheet as back drop. I dont think my photos look professional but that's what i use as of right now.

I wish I had a black backdrop photo of my sisters wedding cake, but the darn thing was TOO tall. and my chandlier kept getting in the way. icon_sad.gif

Julie_S Posted 14 May 2010 , 2:57pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechigirl

I use a digital camera for all my pics. I have also found a spot in my house that lets in natural light that works best when taking pics.

Also, you should always be aware of your background. I went to the craft store and got a few yards of fabric and I use that on the table when I take my pictures.

Geechigirl,
These are sensational. I have another question if you don't mind about your Bratz, Lacrosse, and red car cakes. Are those Frozen buttercream transfers? If they are, how do you get them to lie flat on the cake and not like a raised plaque?
Thank you,
Julie

Geechigirl Posted 14 May 2010 , 6:33pm
post #13 of 13

NO, I use a Kopy Kake machine with all of my pictures on my cakes. If you are going to do cakes, I would advise investing in one. You can find them online for about $150 to $200. I ordered mine from an art website and not a cake decortaing supply site. They are more expensive on cake sites.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%