How Do You Stop Yourself From Eating The Icing?

Decorating By Julie_S Updated 16 May 2010 , 7:06pm by prterrell

Julie_S Posted 14 May 2010 , 2:35am
post #1 of 58

I have tried popping gum in my mouth while decorating which works to some extent. I have a strong sugar urge whenever I even think of icing :---D I always get it on my hands and am trying to train myself to wipe it off with a paper towel. This is not a sanitary issue right now because I'm in practice mode only.

57 replies
Melnick Posted 14 May 2010 , 2:37am
post #2 of 58

I have heard of people sucking on a really strong mint.

chellescountrycakes Posted 14 May 2010 , 3:16am
post #3 of 58

ITS HARD..

If I need to wipe the tip, I have started wiping it on my inner arm, above the wrist and licking it from there. LOL I keep a kitchen towell on my shoulder to wipe with and about 20 wadded up papertowels around me.

honestly, I dont know- other than I just try to pay attention and not do it. its hard though. epsecially with a grass tip, when it gets clogged. Its so much easier to suck it out of the bag and unclog it.. LOL

momma2many Posted 14 May 2010 , 3:26am
post #4 of 58

lol, I have this problem when I cook anything. I brush my teeth and it alters the taste.

lilyankee5688 Posted 14 May 2010 , 3:30am
post #5 of 58

ummm icing..... i have the hardest time NOT tasting it.. lol harder time when my daughter knows i'm doing a cake.. she will come in and sneak finger fulls of icing..and i always seem to have extra, and i cant just throw it out.. and it tastes sooo good when its in cold after being in the fridge for a few hours... but usually i chew berry flavored gum, that way it tastes nasty with the gum flavor, but i end up tossing the gum for the icing.. ha ha

hmm as a matter of fact i think i need to have a little bit before bed.... ha ha i will just work out extra tomorrow icon_smile.gif

Texas_Rose Posted 14 May 2010 , 3:31am
post #6 of 58

After a while, you have your fill of icing and then you don't want to taste it anymore. It may take a couple of years to get to that point. I'm definitely at it though, I don't really even think of it as food anymore and only taste the icing when I'm using a different recipe or new flavor.

cheatize Posted 14 May 2010 , 3:36am
post #7 of 58

Food safe gloves. I've done the gum thing and ended up with a gross mess in my mouth too many times. The gloves are irritating to wear but they are a constant reminder to me that I simply cannot eat the icing. Additionally, a couple of tastes of rubber gloves mixed with icing proves it is an unpleasant experience. Pavlov's principles applied to sugar addicted cakers. icon_biggrin.gif

Julie_S Posted 14 May 2010 , 3:36am
post #8 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyankee5688

ummm icing..... i have the hardest time NOT tasting it.. lol harder time when my daughter knows i'm doing a cake.. she will come in and sneak finger fulls of icing..and i always seem to have extra, and i cant just throw it out.. and it tastes sooo good when its in cold after being in the fridge for a few hours... but usually i chew berry flavored gum, that way it tastes nasty with the gum flavor, but i end up tossing the gum for the icing.. ha ha

hmm as a matter of fact i think i need to have a little bit before bed.... ha ha i will just work out extra tomorrow icon_smile.gif





"A little before bed" - that's sooooo funny! Thanks for the laugh!
Julie

indydebi Posted 14 May 2010 , 3:58am
post #9 of 58

Agree with the above that there will come a time that you never want to eat icing again.

When I had girls working in the shop making cookies and cookie dough, I'd tell them to eat all they wanted (after the orders were filled) because I KNEW that after a few days, I wouldnt' have to worry about htem eating any at ALL!

mandirombold Posted 14 May 2010 , 4:08am
post #10 of 58

it only took me 8 months before I had no interest at all in eating the icing. at first I couldn't get enough of it, in a few months I would just try it.Now I don't even try it unless its new, I have my husbanb give it a taste every once in awhile. acually I really don't even like it at ALL any more.

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 14 May 2010 , 4:28am
post #11 of 58

I have that issue with my frostings I make at home.

The frosting at work is another story. I once opened a bucket of frosting that hadn't been thoroughly mixed, so I got a pretty good look at what they use for their shortening/butter/whatever. All I can say that it ain't butter and it ain't shortening either! Anyone seen Watkin's Carbolic Salve? Looked just like that stuff. I expected it to smell like it too. icon_eek.gif

Ever since I saw that bucket I've had no problems with frosting cravings at work!!!

chellescountrycakes Posted 14 May 2010 , 4:30am
post #12 of 58

Thats what is so funny for me- I really dont like to eat it just because its there. my kids will - they will clean an unattended bowl in seconds- even if the beaters are still going.... I just do it because its a habit. I have food on my hand, I lick it. LOL
sucks when its crisco...

Meowcakes Posted 14 May 2010 , 5:10am
post #13 of 58

Licking the icing from the tip. I hope you don't sell cakes or give them away.

Jeep_girl816 Posted 14 May 2010 , 5:27am
post #14 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandirombold

it only took me 8 months before I had no interest at all in eating the icing. at first I couldn't get enough of it, in a few months I would just try it.Now I don't even try it unless its new, I have my husbanb give it a taste every once in awhile. actually I really don't even like it at ALL any more.


Me too, my husband is my official frosting tester. Whatever sweet tooth I might have had is pretty much gone.

tonedna Posted 14 May 2010 , 6:05am
post #15 of 58

I love sugar and I love cake, but that urge to eat buttercream out of the bag is completely out of my system. I use gloves too, I can't stand the feeling of buttercream in my hands. I have no idea why..lol
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

tinygoose Posted 14 May 2010 , 6:35am
post #16 of 58

Yeah, me too. I don't eat it anymore. I like my cake plain, I have just lost my most of my desire for icing. I also can't stand the feel on it on me, or the smell of it, the sugar just grosses me out. Lately I have enjoyed Magnolia's bakery's White Chocolate Cream Cheese icing, but it's not sweet at all.

I worked at a bakery once that had chocolate, almond, cheese croissants, they were sooo good, but after a while...bleck, I just stopped eating them. Too much of a good thing.

tesso Posted 14 May 2010 , 7:08am
post #17 of 58

give yourself some time and you will barely be able to even think about sampling, testing, eating, or nibbling that icing. you will be shoving the bowl toward the kids, going..here..eat it. just get it out of my face. icon_lol.gif

PiccoloChellie Posted 14 May 2010 , 7:37am
post #18 of 58

I keep waiting for the day I'm sick of icing but it hasn't come yet.

When I'm actually using the stuff it doesn't occur to me to sample. My weakness is when I'm making it (gotta have quality control, right??) - I dirty a bunch of spoons "quality control" testing each batch. icon_redface.gif

Oh, and then when I'm done decorating, I mean you don't wanna waste it if there's only a little left over, so all you can really do is eat it. Especially that coffee buttercream I made over the weekend. Oh lawd, that was good. I may or may not have packed up the excess and hidden it in the back of the fridge to snack on....

Relznik Posted 14 May 2010 , 9:08am
post #19 of 58

Good question!

I'd like to know the answer, because I'm getting so big I'll need my own post zip code soon! icon_wink.gif

costumeczar Posted 14 May 2010 , 10:45am
post #20 of 58

It IS a sanitary issue, unless you're the only person eating the cakes you make. You need to just stop doing it, and you also need to learn food sanitation if you think that's okay to do.

Think of all the people who have prepared food for you in restaurants, and imagine them licking their hands while they're making your food. Does that make you want to stop doing it? If not, go read about foodborne illness for a few hours and maybe that will make you stop.

Nobody can tell me that you have to lick icing while you're decorating. My kids didn't even do that when they were three years old, because I taught them the right way to decorate, which doesn't involve licking icing tips. My daughter is in 5th grade now, and she won't even eat anything that the other kids in her class make when they do food-related activities. She sees how nasty they are with the way they handle the food and she wants no part of it.

LindaF144a Posted 14 May 2010 , 11:42am
post #21 of 58

I agree that it will get old over time. And I heard before about bakeries that let their employees eat all they want because after a while it gets old. I reached that point about a week ago. I will do one small taste test with a spoon when I try something new.

I just lost 60 lbs and then took up baking (go figure icon_rolleyes.gif ) I do NOT want to gain it back and for health reasons I can't. As a result I am picky about where I will spend the calories I can eat.

Also you can try thinking of the frosting as a nonfood item or something you never like to eat.

Yesterday I made cupcakes for my book club meeting. I was pressed for time so I used store bought frosting. That stuff was sticking everywhere and just had a different feel to it. It reminded me of some thick paint. That is when I realized that if while I was baking I looked at everything as paint, or spackle or clay or something non food edible then I wouldn't be tempted to wipe my finger on my tongue. I have used all those mediums in the past and would never dream of licking my finger. And not once did I lick my finger off to clean off that can frosting. So I know I can do it.

KS421 Posted 14 May 2010 , 12:11pm
post #22 of 58

When I first started making frosting, I wondered how I would ever eat it after seeing how it was made. Somehow that didn't deter me a bit.

As I make more cakes, my desire to sample the frosting gets smaller. I barely taste it anymore.

Julie_S Posted 14 May 2010 , 3:07pm
post #23 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Agree with the above that there will come a time that you never want to eat icing again.

When I had girls working in the shop making cookies and cookie dough, I'd tell them to eat all they wanted (after the orders were filled) because I KNEW that after a few days, I wouldnt' have to worry about htem eating any at ALL!





That was very wise on your part. Most managers would say "YOU are forbidden to eat the icing!" which would make the employees want to eat it all the more.
Julie

Julie_S Posted 14 May 2010 , 3:13pm
post #24 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

It IS a sanitary issue, unless you're the only person eating the cakes you make. You need to just stop doing it, and you also need to learn food sanitation if you think that's okay to do.

Think of all the people who have prepared food for you in restaurants, and imagine them licking their hands while they're making your food. Does that make you want to stop doing it? If not, go read about foodborne illness for a few hours and maybe that will make you stop.

Nobody can tell me that you have to lick icing while you're decorating. My kids didn't even do that when they were three years old, because I taught them the right way to decorate, which doesn't involve licking icing tips. My daughter is in 5th grade now, and she won't even eat anything that the other kids in her class make when they do food-related activities. She sees how nasty they are with the way they handle the food and she wants no part of it.




It's not a sanitary issue in my case right now because as I said, I'm in practice mode and when I practice, I'm using cake dummies and boards and I'm not even producing any cakes - I'm not baking at all right now. Plus there's nobody else in my house (I live by myself) who would possibly eat any of the icing I'm experimenting with. But I do see your point if you're producing food that others will eat. Thanks!

bakermom3107 Posted 14 May 2010 , 3:15pm
post #25 of 58

I have a problem with cake batter! I love it! I always have to lick the spatula and I really wish I didn't icon_wink.gif

Bluehue Posted 14 May 2010 , 3:31pm
post #26 of 58

Just say to youself -

I want my bum to look like 2 cute little cupcakes - not 2 buckets of fondant or 2 bowls of BC........................

close your eyes and picture 2 buckets tucked inside your jeans - icon_eek.gif
Not a good look - not to mention all that fondant weighing your heart down.

Sends a shiver down your spine doesn't it?

I know - i have scared you for life now - but your heart will thank me in 5 years - icon_smile.gifthumbs_up.gif

Bluehue.

tiggerjo Posted 14 May 2010 , 3:33pm
post #27 of 58

I quit when DH said to me "you have got frosting all over you" and I just stepped out of the shower. icon_cry.gificon_mad.gificon_evil.gif

lilrhodybaker Posted 14 May 2010 , 4:00pm
post #28 of 58

I, too, have come to the point where I can no longer stand the taste of it...lol!!!!! I ate, and ate, and ate all the icing I could when I first started decorating just to get the craving out of my system. I really don't have any tricks to help you stop eating the icing, other than to continue to eat the icing!!!

Karen421 Posted 14 May 2010 , 4:01pm
post #29 of 58

Yeah in the beginning, especially when you are trying new recipes, the frosting is yummy, but it really will get old - eventually. For me it took two years and 40lbs! Now, I have a very hard time tasting the frosting, and I try to make someone else do it!

LilaLoa Posted 14 May 2010 , 4:03pm
post #30 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehue

Just say to youself -

I want my bum to look like 2 cute little cupcakes - not 2 buckets of fondant or 2 bowls of BC........................

close your eyes and picture 2 buckets tucked inside your jeans - icon_eek.gif
Not a good look - not to mention all that fondant weighing your heart down.

Sends a shiver down your spine doesn't it?

I know - i have scared you for life now - but your heart will thank me in 5 years - icon_smile.gifthumbs_up.gif

Bluehue.






You are HILARIOUS! Come to my town and be my best friend. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%